IGNORED

Hogan's Five Lessons - Most Overrated Book of All Time

Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Five Lessons: Most Overrated Golf Instructional Book Ever?

• Yep
    • Nope

• Administrator

I'm kind of torn on this.

Hogan's book is not "how to play golf." It's "how Hogan played golf."

Hogan's book is good. Great, even. But it's lacking in detail and is, again, great if you want to fade or, in most amateur's cases, slice the ball. Lots of what Hogan did he says differently in the book, or vice versa. I can see why some think it's over-rated, but not because it's crap or poor, just because it's soooooo highly rated. It's bound to be at least slightly "over" done sometimes.

I think the most over-rated book is the Pelz putting book. :) But that's because I think any positive rating of that book is over-rating it.

P.S. Poll results are 36% Yes, 64% no. And I voted "no."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like the "Five Lessons".

It gave a detailed and explicit account of the swing, and it gave me a framework for thinking about what I do when I try to hit the ball.  I don't try to duplicate what's in there --- the most important messages for me were:

1) Most people on the range aren't helping themselves improve at all. (So I took a few lessons when I started, and I try to have something of a plan when I'm at the range...)

2) Think about what you're doing, watch what other people are doing, try things out on the range, try them under pressure.  Keep what works and throw out the rest.

...I guess my grip actually came from "Five Lessons", but I'm not sure much else has.

The thing that makes this book so famous is really the extraordinary illustrations, which were so revolutionary.  So beautiful and so clearly illustrating the points without distraction.

If it weren't for them, it would not have the profile it has.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Don't discount the importance it has in encouraging a systematic approach to your golf swing.  Even if you disagree with some of its details, it was one of the first recordings of a scientific (well, perhaps quasi-scientific) approach to developing and understanding the mechanics of a repeatable swing.  Criticizing it because it may be wrong (or, perhaps, not universal) on some points is missing a big piece of its importance.

Plus, calling things overrated is overrated.  What does it mean, anyway?

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

Originally Posted by zeg

Don't discount the importance it has in encouraging a systematic approach to your golf swing.  Even if you disagree with some of its details, it was one of the first recordings of a scientific (well, perhaps quasi-scientific) approach to developing and understanding the mechanics of a repeatable swing.  Criticizing it because it may be wrong (or, perhaps, not universal) on some points is missing a big piece of its importance.

Plus, calling things overrated is overrated.  What does it mean, anyway?

I'd say the illustrations, and the career of the man who's hands are being drawn, are the biggest and best feature. Even one of its most famous detractors (John Jacobs who was referenced earlier) used the same illustrator.  Some co-authors and illustrators are seen quite often. There are a lot of golf books written, and somebody has to make sure the golfers' thoughts become complete and coherent sentences and paragraphs.

Any book that teaches how to hit the ball a certain specific way is going to have its fans and detractors. Maybe if there was a chart of the most highly regarded books versus handicap index, it would be easiest to see which was the most overrated book. The results may be surprising, because the longer it's in print and still being discussed the more potential for any slight polarizing effects to take root. That most golfers are not very good and Ben Hogan's book is an all time classic are surely just a coincidence. I mean, other than on this forum, have you met anyone who's read it cover to cover?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Depends on how you read it.  If you think it is the best and will swear to it as the only answer, then yes.  If you read it to get perspective and some interesting points, then it is a good read.

My feelings exactly.  The book if nothing else introduced new ways of thinking about the golf swing, especially swing plane.  One of the reasons Butch Harmon has had success with many different players, I believe, is because he was willing to refine what players brought to him, based on his tenents and experience, but did not insist on a dogmatic one size fits all approach.  If you look at PGA tour pros, as they age, they make compensations.  Kenny Perry's swing is at least partly based on a shoulder injury suffered early in his golf career.  The best teachers adapt their theories and idealized models to allow for individual students strengths and limitations.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I haven't read this book yet but I was not impressed at all with the Pelz Short Game Bible. Had some good info in it but for the size of the book it could have been done in 20 pages at best. I loved the Rotella book Golf is not a Game of Perfect and The Little Red Book but I know much of my issues are on the mental side. I think you will find the books that apply to your game as being great and ones that don't as being over rated...generally.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 4813 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!