IGNORED

I Love Hitting a Fade!

Ben
Note: This thread is 4318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I can think of numerous times where one can hit a "fade" or a "draw" around a tree. Depends on how you define "fade" and "draw." Is it by the amount they curve? By whether they over-curve?

I've hit 3-yard cuts "around" trees because a draw wouldn't work - it'd smack into the tree.

I should of read on. iacas brings much wisdom onto this matter.

yes, depends on the person and their definition of a fade or slice. you could also say when the fade/slice starts in the path of the ball. does it happen right away right after you strike the ball. or does it happen after about 50 yards into flight? my shot was more the ladder. it started to fade back about 70 yards or so after I got it past the tree.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted by golf4fun12

I should of read on. iacas brings much wisdom onto this matter.

yes, depends on the person and their definition of a fade or slice. you could also say when the fade/slice starts in the path of the ball. does it happen right away right after you strike the ball. or does it happen after about 50 yards into flight? my shot was more the ladder. it started to fade back about 70 yards or so after I got it past the tree.

He's right... if a tree blocking a right to left ball flight forces a left to right shot, and it is exucuted well, under control, moves the amount you want it too, hits the targe,  Obviously that is a nice fade around a tree.

Us faders just get a little defensive when the fade is often considered just "this" far away from the hideous slice, but the draw and the hook are barely even cousins, much less related to each other!

To answer the other question, I don't think the nature of the ball flight relative to the distance of the obstacle you are bending your ball around is all that relevant.  It's all about the ACTUAL ball flight compared to the INTENDED ball flight.  Cut/Fade/Slice vs Draw/Hook/Duck

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

He's right... if a tree blocking a right to left ball flight forces a left to right shot, and it is exucuted well, under control, moves the amount you want it too, hits the targe,  Obviously that is a nice fade around a tree.

Us faders just get a little defensive when the fade is often considered just "this"  far away from the hideous slice, but the draw and the hook are barely even cousins, much less related to each other!

To answer the other question, I don't think the nature of the ball flight relative to the distance of the obstacle you are bending your ball around is all that relevant.  It's all about the ACTUAL ball flight compared to the INTENDED ball flight.  Cut/Fade/Slice vs Draw/Hook/Duck

I feel you about the ball flight relative to distance.....for instance, today I hit a draw off the tee box. it must of gone right to left about 30 yards. I did push it out to the right about 100 yards before it started to come back. guy I was playing back said "sliced it." In my head, I felt like I drew it back since it was what I wanted to do. so, it shows that different people have different opinions on what a draw is or fade is.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

If you can plan a shot and execute it so that the ball lands where you intended it to, does it matter if it's a fade or draw? I soft draw the ball naturally (with my bad shots being a straight push) but my shot dispersion isn't tight enough yet for my liking. I often play against 'faders' who plan and execute their shots better than me and they bring home the bacon. At the end of the day the primary goal is to play as few shots as possible to win a round of golf; whether you fade or draw is immaterial to that goal and both types of shot are as valid as each other.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

Originally Posted by Steel

I too am a reformed "hooker"  I have found the fade much easier to control, I tended to over cook my draw sometimes with catastrophic results, usually OB, usually resulting in a double.  The right side of the course usually has more room as well, if you do over cook your fade it's still in bounds and more importantly in play.  Another advantage, how many dog leg rights versus dog leg lefts, at least 2 to 1 for the rights, maybe more. If you have the distance you can't go wrong as far as I am concerned, and if your hitting the power fade correctly you shouldn't loose more than 10 yards unless your going into a strong headwind

Yeah, totally agree. A draws nice when it's behaving but my love affair with it quickly wears off. Give me that nice little slider!

I used to really hate it when I hit a fade.  Last year I tried my best to get the draw down and was completely unaware (or didn't want it to be true) that the fade was putting me in the fairway all of the time.  I was so convinced that I was losing a ton of distance with the fade. My cousin kept asking me why I avoided the fade so much, and I really didn't have a definite answer.  I really think that it's my natural shot shape. So when I get back out there this year, I'm going to see what I am hitting and go from there.  If it's a fade, so be it.  I have come to understand that a fade is VERY nice.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Why do you get more distance with a draw? Is it the rollout? A fade lands soft and doesn't roll much right? My natural shot shape with my irons is a draw but a fade with the driver. Any idea why?

Why do you get more distance with a draw? Is it the rollout? A fade lands soft and doesn't roll much right? My natural shot shape with my irons is a draw but a fade with the driver. Any idea why?

I believe a draw will go further because the club face will be closed to the swing path and thus not as lofted, making the ball flight more penetrating. Regarding the driver it may be that you're putting the ball too far forward and thus catching it a little too late.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

• Administrator

Originally Posted by MiniBlueDragon

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl923

I believe a draw will go further because the club face will be closed to the swing path and thus not as lofted, making the ball flight more penetrating.

Regarding the driver it may be that you're putting the ball too far forward and thus catching it a little too late.

That's only true if the path is the constant.

If you keep the face angle constant, and change the path from say 4 degrees in to out or 4 degrees out to in, then they'd go roughly the same distance.

A push-draw with a 6-iron goes higher and lands softer than a pull-fade with a 6-iron.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is it bad to hit a fade by letting the takeaway to go more to the outside...then using that plane/path to come back and cut across the ball?

I hear a lot of sources say thats bad because you are changing your swing instead of your attachment to the club.  But so far i find it easier to control the fade by doing this.

I usually hit a draw with a straight back/inside takeaway.  i have tried opening the clubface to hit a push fade but that has been much less consistent.  it feels weird unsquaring the clubface unless i am punching the ball around trees.

Originally Posted by westcyderydin

Is it bad to hit a fade by letting the takeaway to go more to the outside...then using that plane/path to come back and cut across the ball?

Currently this is how I play a fade...however, the Pro I am working with is trying to have me do what he calls a "Professional fade" by taking the club back on plane and hitting a fade by holding the release more down the target line versus letting it release early to the inside...with a full finish of course...it feels a bit weird but he says this is how to hit a fade...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

Originally Posted by iacas

That's only true if the path is the constant.

If you keep the face angle constant, and change the path from say 4 degrees in to out or 4 degrees out to in, then they'd go roughly the same distance.

A push-draw with a 6-iron goes higher and lands softer than a pull-fade with a 6-iron.

I learn something new every day. :)

SWING DNA

I'm making the fade my new stock shot as well!  I noticed at the end of last season, it was becoming my natural shape, even though I was fighting it.  Seeing this thread helps give me some confidence to take it and stick with it.

I noticed when I line up for a fade, it is a straighter shot than when I was playing a draw.  When I was playing a draw, often I would need to play for a bigger sweeping shot, almost hooking.  With the fade, I feel as if I'm coming just a touch from the left and letting it release out to the right.  Although, a little draw comes out now and then, but it's so direct, my misses are still target bound.  Learning to love this shot.

• 9 months later...

Love the fade!   I really don't understand why there are so many people that think that you HAVE to hit a draw to be a good golfer.  I have a guy that I frequently play with that is one of these guys.  He is a pretty good player...has a beautiful compact swing with a nice 5 yard draw...he's somewhere in the low single digits.   But he is constantly trying to get me to change things up and hit a draw.   I could shoot 3 under and he would still have something to say about my swing...something like "what if you hit a draw?  you would be shooting in 60's every time"   The funny thing is that he can't fade a ball if he tried!  I think he just tries to get me to hit the draw because he is ultra competitive and has to have something that I don't to make him feel better about himself.  People with this mentality are so ridiculous and couldn't be more wrong!   And the thing is I can hit a draw...I'm certainly capable.  But If I have a choice, I choose to hit a fade because I always know where it is going and I completely eliminate the left side of the course.  If there is trouble left, I can stay away from it.  If there is trouble right, I can stay away with it without hooking it left.  The only club that normally try to hit a draw with is my hybrid...but that's just because it sets up for it.  I feel you need to figure out how your clubs react with your natural swing and go with it.  If you need to hit a draw because of the circumstance (like a hanging branch or pin tucked back left) then hit the draw....but only if you can!   Play within your capability!  If you it a fade, hit the fade!!!  Especially if are above a 5 handicap.

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

BOOM!  Exactly...I end up playing the last seven holes with this guy Saturday at my home course because of a bunch of slow foursomes in front of us...anyway the 12th hole is a good par three with a huge green and some water in play...I hit a towering 8 iron fade to about 20 feet and sink the putt for a birdie...he misses the green short (with a draw) and takes two chips and two putts to get in the hole...anyway I don't care...I will play with anyone and try not to judge...long story short...we get to the 18th tee box and he asks me why I hit the ball left to right on every shot...I explain to him that is how I see the game...it feels very natural to me and I have never been able to draw the ball as consistently as I can fade it...well after our tee shots (I matched his driver with my X Hot three wood...he hit a roping draw and I hit a very hig fade)...I hit a poor 2nd shot ( kind of a weak fade/slice but found the green) he says to me that you should learn to hit a draw that kind of shot is not going to hold up...I just look at him in disbelieve as I am two over for 9 at that point and he is like 10 over...yeah buddy I need top learn to hit a draw so I can play like you...LOL  That is what I should have said but just didn't say anything and went up and two putted for par while he chipped on (oh yeah he missed the green) and two putted for a bogey...enough said!

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

+1 for fade, it is definately this year's draw.

Once I had it drummed into me what the difference was between a really well struck, on plane, 2-4 yard fade is compared to an ugly over the top slice which infects the game of a lot of us amateurs I was sold. So far results have been awesome in terms of hitting fairways, I can aim up the left side (the danger side of the fairway at my course) with near full confidence that the ball is going to end on that line or right of it. I've shot 2 personal best scores over the winter (75 then 72) and playing for an intentional fade is probably the single biggest contributor to that. Unfortunately due to course conditions over the winter these weren't qualifying rounds so they didn't impact my handicap (course has some tees and greens being repaired over winter so the course is not hcap qualifying under CONGU (UK) rules at the moment).

Taylormade Burner Superfast TP 2010 9.5 - Matrix Ozik HD6 Stiff 44.5" (0.5" tipped, 1.5" butt trimmed reweighted D1)
Ping Rapture V2 3strong wood 13.5 - Diamana 63 g35t Stiff 42.5"
Cleveland Launcher DST 2hy 18* - Ultralite Diamana Red 74 Stiff 40.5"
Mizuno MP-52 3-PW standard loft/lie/length - Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled GW 52/8*
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled SW 56/14*
Spalding TPM-4 Putter (circa 1988)
Bridgestone B330RX balls.

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Love the fade!   I really don't understand why there are so many people that think that you HAVE to hit a draw to be a good golfer.

There is a big difference between a controlled fade and a slice.  I think some of this bias comes from the fact that the typical miss for the average high handicapper is a slice.  Whereas after that high-capper learns more about the game and improves they are able to turn that slice into a draw.  So in a way hitting a draw can loosely be considered the "stock" shot shape of the more accomplished golfer.

Nike Vapor Speed driver 12* stock regular shaft
Nike Machspeed 4W 17*, 7W 21* stock stiff shafts
Ping i10 irons 4-9, PW, UW, SW, LW AWT stiff flex
Titleist SC Kombi 35"; Srixon Z Star XV tour yellow

Clicgear 3.0; Sun Mountain Four 5

Originally Posted by Chief Broom

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhwmusic

Love the fade!   I really don't understand why there are so many people that think that you HAVE to hit a draw to be a good golfer.

There is a big difference between a controlled fade and a slice.

Unless it's what one of my family members lovingly refers to as his "power fade" where he sets up the far right of every tee box and then aims toward the left rough. That's definitely not a slice.

"Ugh! I faded the ball too much!" *chuckle*

SWING DNA

Note: This thread is 4318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!