IGNORED

For those who do NOT use Titleist golf balls...

Note: This thread is 4639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I play Z Stars because to me they offer the perfect balance between fee and durability.  While the Pro V1/V1x balls are nice they just don't last and without Titleist giving me the balls for free I'm not playing a ball that's only useable for 9 holes.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

At my newbie skill level, the type of ball I play probably won't help or hurt my game much.  I was given 4 boxes of Warbirds for Christmas, and when tose are gone, I'll start looking at others.

My suggestion would be to get the most inexpensive balls right now cuz you will be loosing lots of balls. Percept Laddie Extrems are good and they were 20 bux for 1.5 doz. Or, as you play look for balls and just play the balls you find. I'd put more emphasis on getting the basics down before worrying about what ball to play.

I've developed a loyalty for Srixon balls, because I feel that they have the best overall product line-up of any major equipment maker.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I used to play the Srixon Z-star or the AD333 depending on how my game was going. Always liked Srixon balls. Recently went to a Bridgestone ball fitting and after comparing my Srixons to the Bridgestones came away with the B330-RX. Not surprising you all say as it was a Bridgestone thing (I had my doubts too), but having used the B330-RX for a couple of months now I've gained 10-15 yards on my drives and the feel around the green is just amazing. Ball stops on a dime. My ball of choice now.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

How was the ball fitting for you? I went to one last week and sadly I felt like the Bridgestone guys that were there were annoyed to be there. That and they suggested the e6 to everyone that I saw them fit. I played the e6's last weekend, though, and really liked them more than the AD333s I had been playing. Z stars are a better ball though and I'll buy those when I see them on sale.

Originally Posted by the19thhole

I used to play the Srixon Z-star or the AD333 depending on how my game was going. Always liked Srixon balls. Recently went to a Bridgestone ball fitting and after comparing my Srixons to the Bridgestones came away with the B330-RX. Not surprising you all say as it was a Bridgestone thing (I had my doubts too), but having used the B330-RX for a couple of months now I've gained 10-15 yards on my drives and the feel around the green is just amazing. Ball stops on a dime. My ball of choice now.

• 2 weeks later...

My fitting went well with the Bridgestone guys a pleasure. Should have added in my first post that I was recommended the e7 against the AD333 and the B330-RX against the z star. They recommend on ball price as well. Overall the ball recommended was the B330-RX. I noticed that the e6's were being pushed a lot too and the reason is they are meant to reduce excessive side spin which most of us golfers produce. A friend did his own ball comparison at a local independent dealer that has all the lauch monitoring stuff and his came down to a choice between the Callaway Tour i(s) and the B330-S (the ball Bridgestone recommended him). He has all the printouts showing spin rates. He was a die hard pro-v1 man for years.

I'd try the B330-RX as it definitely worked for me, but hey the z-star is a great ball. Good hitting!!!

Originally Posted by daxc

How was the ball fitting for you? I went to one last week and sadly I felt like the Bridgestone guys that were there were annoyed to be there. That and they suggested the e6 to everyone that I saw them fit. I played the e6's last weekend, though, and really liked them more than the AD333s I had been playing. Z stars are a better ball though and I'll buy those when I see them on sale.

In my mizuno.gif Neo Cart Bag or rife.gif Staff Bag on clicgear.gif 2.0 Trolley
 Driver: R11 10.5* |  3W: CB4 15* | adams.gif Hybrid: Idea Pro (20* & 23*)
bridgestone.gif Irons: J36 Cavity Back (5-PW) | vokey.gif Wedges: S.M Oil Cans: 52.08, 56.08 & 60.04
rife.gif Putter: 2-bar Hybrid Blade | bridgestone.gif Ball: B330-RX  Ball: Pro V1

My general experience with playing the MOST used or BEST in its class products are that the little guys are always going to be better because to compete they have to 1-up the big guy and think out of the box.

I also have a problem with the name of the Titleist ProV1. After so many re-releases how is it still a 1 after the V? Seriously we should be on ProV3 or 4 at least.

But I have always been true to the smaller name brands because I feel they offer the same if not better quality at a lower price even if its only a few bucks. And I just dont like going with the group.

Srixon Z-Star, Bridgestone Tour B330, and back in the day I played were the tour model Precepts.

I have gone against this reasoning recently as I had to buy a dozen Nike 20XI*S balls just because I feel nike was taking the evolution of golf into a new frontier and I wanted to see if it lives of to the hype, still more rounds of playin until I would say they are but over all its a good ball, just a tad on the hard side on feel.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too long ago I found two Bridgestone e6 balls that were in very good shape.  Two weekends ago I played one of them along with a new-to-me driver, and my drives were very nice fades, no slices!  Whether it was the ball or driver, I can't say for sure.  Either way, then driver is still in the bag, and I picked up a dozen new e6's.

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc

Not too long ago I found two Bridgestone e6 balls that were in very good shape.  Two weekends ago I played one of them along with a new-to-me driver, and my drives were very nice fades, no slices!  Whether it was the ball or driver, I can't say for sure.  Either way, then driver is still in the bag, and I picked up a dozen new e6's.

To use an often repeated cliche... it's the Indian not the arrow.

I recently made my way through a dozen e6's and while they seemed longer than other balls I've played, they certainly didn't "correct" any directional issues I was having.  Ironically, my straightest tee-shot of the year came from a TM Penta.

I play Taylor Made Burner Tour balls.

I won a few at a local competition a while back and i've shot 78 and 77 my last 2 rounds with those puppies. Whether it's mental or whatever if it, I feel positive standing over the ball so that's what gets played with :)

Also got some on sale in the US for $14 for 4 sleeves.

I don't play or buy the titelist balls because their marketing doesn't appeal to me and I don't believe their hype.

When a company makes a club in the USA I will proudly display their brand here. All of mine were made in china by somebody making $2 a day. Shame on you Mr club manufacture.

Okay, I'm a believer. Seriously. I played today and (A) hit my best overall score ever (an 83) and (B) hit my best 9-hole score ever (a 39). I went out in 44 and was using my Srixon Z Stars. I played okay but wasn't finding the fairway. I came in in 39 using two Pro V1X balls and hit 85.7% of the fairways (missed 1 of 7).  Seriously.  I may very well have to switch over to the V1X.

:tmade: SLDR 12* :ping: G20 4W :adams: Speedline Super S 4H :mizuno: JPX-825 Pro 4-G :tmade: ATV 56* & 60* :cameron: 2014 Select Newport or 1997 Teryllium 3 Newport

I will be putting the new Pro V1x into play today. I have previously played rounds with the Callaway iZ (very nice ball), Bridgestone Tour-B330S (very impressed and love the all around feel), and Srixon Z-Star X (love it off the tee, stopped good through the short irons). I got the Pro V's with a gift card so this test dozen won't hurt my pocket.  I plan to use all these from a variety of shots to see their different performances. I'm on the fence about price. Although, it does hurt to pay that much from balls, I feel that if the performance is there from the ball than I am willing to pay the extra 5 or 6 above the other prices to get the results. My decision won't be based on wanting to play a Titleist just because of the name. Nowadays, all the other ball makers are producing very good premium balls too.

Even though The Pro V1 Preforms so well around the greens I just just can`t  Can`t Afford  to pay $45 Dollars A Dozen when I could Buy A cheaper ball that Preforms Just as Good When hitting shots from 100 Yards in........ Plus Theres Just TOO Much hype in titleist about having the latest And greatest Of Everything in golf..... yeah like buying a  $45 Golf ball will instanly make you a tour pro.....

Originally Posted by goodguy96

Even though The Pro V1 Preforms so well around the greens I just just can`t  Can`t Afford  to pay $45 Dollars A Dozen when I could Buy A cheaper ball that Preforms Just as Good When hitting shots from 100 Yards in........ Plus Theres Just TOO Much hype in titleist about having the latest And greatest Of Everything in golf..... yeah like buying a  $45 Golf ball will instanly make you a tour pro.....

just out of curiosity, what cheaper ball performs the same around the greens? I wanna buy some

In saying that, most premium balls (you know the ones with urethane covers) that get soft feel and exceptional spin numbers are in the same price range as ProV1's. If I was a beginner learning how to play I wouldnt be buying premium balls though and most dont even have a desire to. When I first started playing again last spring I played with Srixon soft feels until I got a little game back

Originally Posted by motteler621

just out of curiosity, what cheaper ball performs the same around the greens? I wanna buy some

In saying that, most premium balls (you know the ones with urethane covers) that get soft feel and exceptional spin numbers are in the same price range as ProV1's. If I was a beginner learning how to play I wouldnt be buying premium balls though and most dont even have a desire to. When I first started playing again last spring I played with Srixon soft feels until I got a little game back

It  Doesent  have the  Exact RPMS  Of the Pro V1 But For the price And playabiltity try the Topflite Gamer V2... it`s only $20 A Dozen ( Same price as the soft feels)  But  For The price you can`t beat it!

Originally Posted by goodguy96

It  Doesent  have the  Exact RPMS  Of the Pro V1 But For the price And playabiltity try the Topflite Gamer V2... it`s only $20 A Dozen ( Same price as the soft feels)  But  For The price you can`t beat it!

yea I havent played the gamer but if I was low on cash i would give them a try, seems like a good ball for the price

Note: This thread is 4639 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!