IGNORED

Is Tiger Back (Early 2011 Edition)?

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wouldn't say tiger played good the whole tourney. he did ok the first day. great the 2nd and then bad the 3rd. the 4th day was one of the most trilling front 9 I have seen from tiger in quite some time. too much time in fact. the last nine he missed some key putts that would of thrown the rest of the field into a frenzy of trying to catch up. charl did something of course that will always be remembered as the best final four holes of the masters. but what if tiger made those 3 key putts? maybe charl and the rest of the field might of tried a little harder to make a par 5 in 2 and maybe mess up because they are trying to hard. of course, this is all speculation and charl probably would of done his thing and birdie the last 4 holes like he did. but, what if?

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Tiger had his decade or so in the sun.

He may win a few more tournaments, possibly a major or two.

I don't think he will ever return to the dominant force he once was.

The Nicklaus record for major wins will remain intact.

In my opinion, if it is ever broken, Tiger will not be the one to do it.

I'm down to a 10 handicap. At this rate, I'll get to scratch at 90 years old!

LOL, I thought the thread said, "Is Tiger Black?", and I thought, "what a silly thread! He's Asian."

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I'm excited by the possibilities that if his swing is closer to being "locked in" and his transition closer to complete, that he can spend some time working on his putting stroke and get that back to where it once was.

I'm worried that his putting stroke has changed and the "I've not had time to practice my short game" is an excuse and that we won't see Tiger putting at the same levels as he has for the vast majority of his career.

This to me is what's so sad about his whole approach.  A lot of guys can hit the golf ball like Tiger Woods.  Very few could putt like he could (maybe Luke Donald), and almost no one except Phil had a comparable short game.  I remember a time when he went a 2 year stretch without missing a 3-footer.  I also remember a time when he said it was comforting knowing you could go back home to your wife and kids after the round, however it went.  If I could have given him my two cents, even though it's probably worth less than that, a few years ago, I would say focus on two areas:  putting and short game, and keep your family life in order.  He did the exact opposite.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

I agree with the consensus here.  Tiger is swing as well as he ever has but his short game just isn't up to Tiger standards yet, especially putting.  So the jury on whether he will return to dominance or not is still out IMHO.

Butch

I think Tiger is still holding himself back from the success he's capable of. When I see a player just not bring it out under pressure, that's a problem with their mental game. I think there's a lot going on in Tiger's head and as long as that's a factor, he'll never be able to play near the level he used to.

Once a champion, always a champion.

Tiger will rule another decade once he gets his mind back and his swing under control.  I hope he comes back with a vengeance!

Even par through 9 is my best.  I don't even want to think about what was my worst.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

When is he playing again?

Brandon

Quail Hollow at the earliest (May 5th), Players at the latest (May 12th). Probably both.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by thementalcoach

I think Tiger is still holding himself back from the success he's capable of. When I see a player just not bring it out under pressure, that's a problem with their mental game. I think there's a lot going on in Tiger's head and as long as that's a factor, he'll never be able to play near the level he used to.

I agree.  I think Tiger's problem is between the ears not the swing.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

In professional sports, the line between the top and the next tier down is very thin. What was amazing about Tiger was his ability to stay above the line for so long.

From his childhood up to the day Elin gave him a playing lesson with his 9-iron, he was on an unbroken track of personal and professional dominance that just fed on itself. That glass house got shattered, and I thought then, and do now, that it will be awfully tough to put it back together.

He's still a terribly good golfer. Oh sure, he'll win some more tournaments and maybe a major or two, but as for going back to his former dominance, I'll believe it when it happens. That would be a greater accomplishment than anything he did before he suffered his personal calamity.

Note: This thread is 4758 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!