IGNORED

am i too old to play golf???

ladiesman217
Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by chris_284

The hate is strong in this thread.

On first read, it sounds like your reason to wanting to become good at golf is to 'go pro', be famous, money, etc. It's as if the dollar signs, women, and fame are flashing before your eyes.

However, of course if would be possible. Only with a true love of the game though, not a love for future fame.

After you've practiced for 4 months in a row, 10 hours a day, are you still gonna want to do it the next day.

For the summer, why don't you just play the game. See if you enjoy it. If you love it, practice for a couple hours a day. If you love that, increase it. Not to become famous, but because you enjoy the game and you want to become better than you were yesterday.

Well, I'm not saying that hate is something I advocate.  However, OP did ask for brutal honesty.  Also, OP stated that the he just wants to be on a University Team in any sport.  Since his first love is hockey and he doesn't have what it takes (his words, not mine), he's looking into golf.  He's not choosing golf because he loves it, or because he's good at it.  Rather, it's something he's looking to get into and he wants to know if he has enough time to become good enough to make the team.  If we don't feel he has sufficient time, he'd rather seek a different sport.

Based on the above, my only answer would be; there are no guarantees and the only way you'll know is when you try regardless of what anyone else tells you.

:titleist: :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

Hi There,

I hit my first ball at the age of 17, never played a single round of amateur golf and turned pro at 19! I have been playing professional golf for past 13 years and won 5 tournaments! It is very possible. a very good friend of mine Aders Hanson only started playing at 32 and he is currently in the top 50 in the world.

You get the clubs you like, and if you have the heart and the arrogance to not let any one tell you you cant don it, you will be well on your way!

Regards

Steve

Originally Posted by ladiesman217

hey all the name is scooter, i am 18 years old born in 92. i have golfed a few tims in the past but with friends, we just goofed off a lot and didnt really play seriousley. i have a buddy who plays golf on the university golf team and i just figuired i want to make a university sport team real bad. the only other sport im OK in would be hockey and lord nos the kids on the varsity team are ex whl and junior players which i could never amount to (i only played local rep hockey). so golf is my last chance and i watched the masters tournamint and i really like the swagger of the golfers and the sport. so i want to become extremely involved. starting next week my exams are over and i will head home so i have about 4 months to golf as much as i want to. its only my 1st year in university so i still have maybe 2 or 3 years to make the golf team. but the big question

IS IT POSSABLE

pls be harsh guys the last thing i want to do is have some nice guy tell me "u can do wutever ur heart amounts to" cus if that were true then id be on my way to the nhl rigt now. which aint happenin any time soon, so tell me the TRUTH please. is it possable!!! to be good at golf within 2-3 years!!!!! and on a more projected note is it possible to make the pro league starting at 18 years old???

and what gear should i get?? my buddy says ping but i dont want to dish a 1000$ on golf clubs when i have no knowlage. i was thinking to get just a driver, a 7 iron, and a puter to start. any suggestions

and pls pls pls be HONEST about the whole thing. i really dont want to devote my time and effert only to find out im the worst kid to try out on the team. if 18 is too late to start then let me know straight forward so i can move on with my other dreams, thank you!!!!

Very helpful stuff right there.

Originally Posted by weavej2

You should put all your available time working on your spelling

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sbasson

Hi There,

I hit my first ball at the age of 17, never played a single round of amateur golf and turned pro at 19! I have been playing professional golf for past 13 years and won 5 tournaments! It is very possible. a very good friend of mine Aders Hanson only started playing at 32 and he is currently in the top 50 in the world.

You get the clubs you like, and if you have the heart and the arrogance to not let any one tell you you cant don it, you will be well on your way!

Regards

Steve

Just because you did it, doesn't make it very possible for everyone...and 'arrogance and heart' are not the determining factors if you're going to be a pro....it's a natural ability, and thousands of hours of hard work.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Sounds like you may be focusing more on the glory aspect than actually playing golf.

Anyway, you should start out taking some lessons. Early summer is a good time to pick up a golf clinic: beginners learning together a couple of nights a week. Then, follow this up with individual lessons and practice.

If you find a good individual teaching pro, he or she can help you select some clubs. Stay away from eBay the first couple of years, you want to be able to test out clubs before you buy them. You could begin with a boxed starter set, or you could get some used clubs. Lots of good clubs are available, just a couple of years old. But, you would need help from a teaching pro to go the used club route.

Whether boxed or used clubs, get a static fitting: This basic fitting makes sure the clubs are proper length for your height and arm span, and are not too upright or too flat a lie angle on your set-up.

Once more: With your lessons, you will need to follow up with short, dedicated practice sessions to engrain what you learned in the lessons.

There are some secrets for beginners from a guest ST column I wrote several months ago:

http://thesandtrap.com/b/trap_five/five_golf_secrets_for_beginners

Bottom line - if you only like the glory from TV and not the golf itself, you won't go very far with this sport.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

HAHAHAHAHHAHA yes i like the answers in the thread. this is wat i was looking for when i talked about the swager of golfers... yes the blantant attitude this is wut im looking for in a sport. OK i like it i like it alot...  every1 is conditioned to be aggresive and to each their own just like hockiey. AND I ACCEPT ALL UR CHALLANGES !!!!!! i will starrt on april 30th and i will let u all no how i feel about my development in 3 years i will make a new forum on here.

ps. and me and my friend we made a bet for me to crack 75 in 3 years if i do it he owes me 300 bucks and if i fail i owe him 300 bucks I WILL KEEP U ALL UPDATED IN 3 YEARS

DONT FORGET THE NAME LADIESMAN217 i will BE BACK for ur blood

doble ps. does n e 1 have any decent clubs for sale?? i hav paypal

Better start saving up your bucks (300 of them) because I think you are VASTLY underestimating the difficulty of breaking 75. Professional golfers that started as little kids and PRACTICE HOURS AND HOURS each and every day still fail to break 75 on occasion. Just pick any random PGA tournament  and take a look at some of the names that failed to make the cut. But good luck anyway!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Give it your damndest effort.  Nothing is impossible but what you are asking is highly unlikely.  Although Micheal Jordan was cut from Freshman Basketball in High School, he turned out OK.

Get a decent used full set, take some lessons, at least ten 30 minutes sessions to begin with.  Hit balls every day all day until you hit it well enough to have some idea where it's going and making reasonable contact 90% of the time.  Until then stay off the course it will only deflate you.

You want harsh?

I am not going to give it to you.  Everybody is different.  There are old guys on these type of  boards that have played and practiced themselves to death and haven't gotten better in 20 years.  Only you can make what you want to have happen.  When you speak of the University team. how well are the players on that team?  Does the bottom guy break 80 regularly?  Could you?  I don't know but It is possible.

By the way My sister didn't take up the game until she was 13 years old.  In five years she was an All American at Oklahoma State University, four years later she started her ten year career on the LPGA.

Anything is possible.

Don't give up.  I wished I were 18 again and chasing a dream.  At 41 sometimes I think I am running from them.

Originally Posted by ladiesman217

HAHAHAHAHHAHA yes i like the answers in the thread. this is wat i was looking for when i talked about the swager of golfers... yes the blantant attitude this is wut im looking for in a sport. OK i like it i like it alot...  every1 is conditioned to be aggresive and to each their own just like hockiey. AND I ACCEPT ALL UR CHALLANGES !!!!!! i will starrt on april 30th and i will let u all no how i feel about my development in 3 years i will make a new forum on here.

ps. and me and my friend we made a bet for me to crack 75 in 3 years if i do it he owes me 300 bucks and if i fail i owe him 300 bucks I WILL KEEP U ALL UPDATED IN 3 YEARS

DONT FORGET THE NAME LADIESMAN217 i will BE BACK for ur blood

doble ps. does n e 1 have any decent clubs for sale?? i hav paypal

HAHAHAHAHHAHA yes. I like the answers in the thread. This is what I was looking for when I talked about the swagger of golfers...yes, the blatant attitude. This is what I'm looking for in a sport. OK, I like it, I like it a lot...  everyone is conditioned to be aggressive and to each their own, just like hockey. AND I ACCEPT ALL OF YOUR CHALLENGES!!!!!! I will start on April 30th and I will let you all know how I feel about my development in 3 years and I will make a new thread on here.

P.S. Me and my friend; we made a bet for me to crack 75 in 3 years. If I do it, then he owes me 300 bucks and if I fail I owe him 300 bucks. I WILL UPDATE YOU IN 3 YEARS

DON'T FORGET THE NAME LADIESMAN217. I will BE BACK for your blood

Double P.S. Does anyone have any decent clubs for sale?? I have paypal

EDITED for those who read in English

• Upvote 1

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by Kieran123

HAHAHAHAHHAHA yes. I like the answers in the thread. This is what I was looking for when I talked about the swagger of golfers...yes, the blatant attitude. This is what I'm looking for in a sport. OK, I like it, I like it a lot...  everyone is conditioned to be aggressive and to each their own, just like hockey. AND I ACCEPT ALL OF YOUR CHALLENGES!!!!!! I will start on April 30th and I will let you all know how I feel about my development in 3 years and I will make a new thread on here.

P.S. Me and my friend; we made a bet for me to crack 75 in 3 years. If I do it, then he owes me 300 bucks and if I fail I owe him 300 bucks. I WILL UPDATE YOU IN 3 YEARS

DON'T FORGET THE NAME LADIESMAN217. I will BE BACK for your blood

Double P.S. Does anyone have any decent clubs for sale?? I have paypal

EDITED for those who read in English

Thank you.

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Anyone interested in some side action on Ladiesman217 breaking 75 in three years?

Wait...maybe he means breaking 75 clubs in 3 years? Are there alot of rocks where he plays?

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Just because you suck at hockey doesn't mean you're Happy Gilmore.

I hope you do succeed  and can throw it back in our faces. But it is more likely that you'll play about a couple rounds a month for a few months then decide its not for you.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by JoeC36

Just because you suck at hockey doesn't mean you're Happy Gilmore.

I hope you do succeed  and can throw it back in our faces. But it is more likely that you'll play about a couple rounds a month for a few months then decide its not for you.

And then we can buy your fancy clubs off you for cheap;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Besides that 300 bucks, I hope he has plenty more in his pocket for all this supposed work he'll be doing to get good at golf.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Note: This thread is 4766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!