IGNORED

How much does fitness help you out on the golf course

franky21
Note: This thread is 4687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fitness is key to any athletic activity.  It's hard enough to stay focused without any distractions, but when you're dealing with the normal mental stress of a round of golf, and your body getting fatigued it makes it at least twice as hard to perform at your best.

I see guys after a round of golf look like they ran a marathon, their shirts are soaked, they're flush, breathing hard, and stumble from the cart to the 19th hole.  I can't imagine that they are enjoying themselves no less achieving their best scores when it's pretty obvious their conditioning is terrible.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by newtogolf

Fitness is key to any athletic activity.  It's hard enough to stay focused without any distractions, but when you're dealing with the normal mental stress of a round of golf, and your body getting fatigued it makes it at least twice as hard to perform at your best.

I see guys after a round of golf look like they ran a marathon, their shirts are soaked, they're flush, breathing hard, and stumble from the cart to the 19th hole.  I can't imagine that they are enjoying themselves no less achieving their best scores when it's pretty obvious their conditioning is terrible.

Hey!  I'm always sweat soaked in the summer, but my metabolism gets me running at very high temperatures.  I've always been in very good shape, swimming being my primary sport, but I definitely notice when people I play with are stricken with fatigue and struggle to control their own movements.  You definitely need to be conditioned enough to maintain control of your body and if you're in really good shape, it may even give you a greater edge to perform to a higher level when you're in those high stress situations with your endorphins flowing.

Originally Posted by imtomtomim

Hey!  I'm always sweat soaked in the summer, but my metabolism gets me running at very high temperatures.

You're right, sweat alone doesn't indicate poor conditioning, in many cases it can be due to excellent conditioning.

Joe Paradiso

• 1 month later...

Good on you Franky 21

Mate exercise is great for my golf, my life has revolved around keeping fit, I had a serious accident a while back fracturing my spine, six ribs and my swede and if it wasn't for keeping fit and flexible I wouldn't still be swinging a driver around today that's for sure. Keeping fit helps as you can maintain your spine angles when you swing the club and gradually you will also notice a gain in distance through your increase in strength and flexibility. Previously I used to play with an old friend of mine he is 78 years old and he regularly shoots under his age he credits his golfing longevity to his fitness, his passion for golf and "the blue pill"

My back only causes me issues when I don't keep up with my training routine which is; I bike to work every day 30km I go to the gym to work out twice per week and I also take a body balance class once per week then I play golf on Saturday.

Keep on  pumping and ripping.

Mike

I'm the biggest sweater I know and not in the worse shape.  More genetic than anything.

I've been working out/eating well for 2 years now and honestly I don't see much of a golf benifit.  I was playing better when I was 50 pounds heavier and had a torn ligament in my knee.  I walked then and I walk now.  I'm sure on certain courses that are really tough walks it helps for sure, but if your playing in a 3 or 4 where you have time to wait on others, set your bag down, this and that, I never felt tired.

It is more of a sport of the mind IMO.  Yeah it is physical but I see great players who aren't in great shape.  Look at the champions tour.  Some of those guys aren't in good shape by any means.  Craig Stadler must be sitting on 25% body fat.  I'd take his game for sure.

I believe the best working out for golf is playing golf.  Start walking 36 holes a day 3-4 days a week and you will be in perfect golf shape.  I'm not advocating that being in shape is a bad thing.  I love being thinner, stronger, in better overall shape.  I love eating well and feeling better.  But it has done nothing for my game.

Having a repeatable swing your body CAN do is what makes anyone a good golfer and not trying to create a body for the perfect swing.  Being able to find the sweet spot and hit the ball consistantly the same direction, managing your misses, being very tiddy around the greens makes a great player, not who can run the fastest 5K or swim the most laps.

Brian

Its helped me out a ton, i am not tired while playing now. Even on a high 80's, high humidity day, hilly golf course, i was good after the 18th hole. Thats my major difference. I also gained distance with a shorter golf swing, and i learned how to use my core muscles better, so i don't get long with my swing anymore. My score hasn't shown much progress because of my swing changes, but its getting there.

Another thing to work on is balance, thats helped me out a ton.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Aerobic exercise is great! It improves you cardiovascular function and efficiently. Simply put, you can make more out of less. This is definitely beneficial at the end of a round!

But that is only a small piece of the pie... Resistance training, balance exercises, functional movements, flexibility routines and more can really take your game to the next level... Give them a try and I guarantee you will never look back.

A simple thought on exercise in general...

You never regret working out (as long as you do it the right way). You will never get to the end of the week and say "shoot, I wish I didn't exercise."  You always feel better afterwards.

Message me if you need any help with your exercise program!

• 3 weeks later...

It helps for sure.  Not only does it help you swing faster but i've found it helps me maintain balance better.  Since i started working out about a year ago id say ive gained 35-40 yards easily.  Anyone who says fitness doesn't help your golf game is only fooling themselves.  I remember reading an article where Camilo Villegas said he didn't think he'd even be on tour without his fitness regimine. It helps...a lot.

What's in my bag?
Driver- Taylormade TP Burner 2.0 5 wood- Launcher (4-GW)- Jpx Pro 800 SW- X Forged LW- 588 X Wedge- Tp-Z Putter- Unitized Tiempo

"Hard work beats talent"-Tim Tebow

Im pretty fit. And quit smoking a month ago.

It was about 100 degrees today. I walked and carried 18 today. Not only was i not tired at the end. I shot my best round of the year.

Note: This thread is 4687 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!