IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

I recently took the Aimpoint class and bought the bubble.  I think it is good to have.  It does easily show uphill and slope.  It fits in your pocket and bag easily.

Aimpoint is a good tool in my opinion.  Green reading is a guess and this really helps you dial in a good read.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In this video for the bubble at approximately the 49 to 50 second mark... How does he read it is at 2% slope?

Using the half-circles. If the bubble is on the first mark the slope is 1%, the second is 2%, etc.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

While I didn't take the "chart" with me on my round today, I did find "straight" and putted accordingly.  Except for speed on about 3 putts, I did an outstanding job reading the greens.  Made birdie on the first hole and had many near misses along the way.  Putting this way is "stress free" and when I have had more time to practice the whole routine, I am really going to like this.

While I didn't take the "chart" with me on my round today, I did find "straight" and putted accordingly.  Except for speed on about 3 putts, I did an outstanding job reading the greens.  Made birdie on the first hole and had many near misses along the way.  Putting this way is "stress free" and when I have had more time to practice the whole routine, I am really going to like this.

That's one of the great things about AimPoint. Even if you don't have the charts with you, finding the straight putts is valuable, especially for those ambiguous putts that you know aren't going to break much.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like the bubble is a better buy than the app. I'm going to order one soon to help me practice.

Constantine

• Administrator
Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Sounds like the bubble is a better buy than the app. I'm going to order one soon to help me practice.

Let me know. I can send you one. PM me or something. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="JetFan1983" url="/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/100_100#post_749677"] Sounds like the bubble is a better buy than the app. I'm going to order one soon to help me practice.[/QUOTE] Let me know. I can send you one. PM me or something. :D

Ugh, I ordered it already. Worth the time canceling my order?

Constantine

• Administrator

Ugh, I ordered it already. Worth the time canceling my order?

Nah. Enjoy. What color did you get?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

[QUOTE name="JetFan1983" url="/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/100_100#post_749704"] Ugh, I ordered it already. Worth the time canceling my order?[/QUOTE] Nah. Enjoy. What color did you get?

I was in a red mood for some reason. I'd get green for the Jets but my Edel putter and bag are already green. Thought that'd be overkill. What about you? Btw, I'm really looking forward to practicing the difference between 2 and 3%. It's the only thing standing in my way from being good at this. Kind of a big thing to be bad at though when it comes to aim pointing :-D

Constantine

This sounds great.  For whatever reason I thought this thing only showed direction not break %.

I started mapping my home course a couple weeks ago, probably got 4 or 5 holes done.  I kept thinking how much quicker something like this would be rather than the level.  It was a mild pain in butt to turn keep turning it to make sure I had the right direction.  Mapping also showed me how far off my estimates were.  Slopes that I thought were 3 were more like 4 or 5.  Which also told me that my course is closer to a 9 than a 10 on the stimp.

Anyway, I'll probably order one of these before mapping any further.  They should make it a lot easier.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Being on vacation I stumbled upon an AimPoint instructor and convinced him to give me the fundamentals lesson. That was pure luck here in Europe currently.

Woah, putting balls that close (in)to a hole I would otherwise expect me to have another 1-2 feet put left. Wished he did photos of me grinning big time.

I never thought that "reading" green with my feet could be that easy. I am thrilled to go practicing!

The downside of my private lesson - he had no charts or the student workbook mentioned here for me. So I have to wait at least for the end of the month to get the AimCharts.

• 4 weeks later...

I cannot stress enough how highly I recommend that all aim pointers get themselves an effing aim point bubble. Greatest invention ever. I used it on the course today and putted_out_of_my_mind.

Constantine

I cannot stress enough how highly I recommend that all aim pointers get themselves an effing aim point bubble. Greatest invention ever. I used it on the course today and putted_out_of_my_mind.

I just want to say I had 25 putts today (only 6/18 greens though). No three putts. Never even come close to doing that before.

I can't tell you how many times the slope was 2% when I thought it was 4% Or how many times the putt was 1% when I thought it was 2%. I was shocked how many 1% putts there actually are out there -- no wonder I was missing on the high side so much this season.

And there were so many times the putt was straight when I thought it was 30 degrees. Yea, my feel with my feet is clearly terrible (I know, I know), but wow. This is a completely different game when you can putt.

I'm going to putt with this every time now for probably the next year or two at least. I don't keep a real handicap anyway or play for money or play against friends for pride, so whatever. I had so much fun today.

In the end we still have to all hit the putt. But with this simple device and the aim point formula -- there is no reason anyone should ever misread a putt. It's crazy how easy green reading was today. I cheated, and my score doesn't count for anything, but my eyes are wide open right now. The future of my putting abilities are bright. Maybe one day I will be able to read these greens without this device... when that is, who knows. But I'm so excited right now over this.

Constantine

JetsFan1983,

Fun isn't it!?  Your feet will calibrate with just a bit more practice.  Learn to trust your feet too.  Sometimes your eyes will tell you something different.  If you have a chance, after a miss, go back and check the read with your feet again.  Sometimes you will find your error.  Also, on the tough <1%, I sometimes close my eyes to try to block out all visual.  You can still do it in 10-15 seconds.

The other tough part is the Stimp.  If your putts are breaking more or less than your read, the speed estimate could be off.  Adjust the stimp to what your break was.

I was playing with a close friend of mine with another pair we just met.  He was bragging about my reads on some really tough putts (30+ inch break).  I sank a couple and only missed the others by a ball width at most.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Boogie,

My feel is so bad with my feet, I'm sort of expecting it to take at least a year to develop feel without the bubble. I don't know though, maybe I'm underestimating myself.

Those big breaking putts I can read pretty decent because the slope is so obvious. That's probably why my favorite putts are 4% at 90 degrees. I've made more of those than 2% ones this year.

I also realized I misremembered what my aimpoint teacher told me. I thought he said there were very few 1% putts because the green would have too much standing water on it if there were. What he really said was there were no 0% putts. So I almost never used the 1% circle... and of course, yesterday I discovered that 6 to 8 putts I had were 1%. So no wonder I keep missing those on the high side.

I made three straight putts outside 12 feet on the first three times I ever used the bubble -- all to save par. That was unreal how much confidence that gave me walking to the next tee. It put so much less pressure on my full swing and I was able to swing without fear, knowing that as long as I made it to the green, I had a chance to make it. And I hit the ball horribly yesterday.

The greatest putt I made all day was a severe downhill putt that looked like it would break 2-3 feet to the right. The bubble told me it was 4% -- maybe even 5% -- and that it was dead straight. My eyes had deceived me. So not only did the bubble tell me where to aim but it told me that I only had to tap it. So I hit the 20 footer and it took about 6 seconds or something to get to the hole and then dropped. The bubble also tells you the speed! Awesome!

It tells you slope, where straight is, and how hard to hit it.

When I got to the next tee I actually realized that putt was a birdie putt. The bubble was so cool, I didn't even think about what score the putt was for. I was just thinking about the shot.

So it also put me in a really good mental place.

As far as stimp goes, I always ask someone who works there what the stimp is before I go out there if I don't know it. My home course here is only an 8.

Constantine

I hear ya. Hope I can get hold of such effing bubble here in Europe sometime soon. Waiting for my charts, too. The iApp is OK, but too fiddly on the course.

Using my feet to access the green is an enormous help so far even without using the charts.

Tempo on my home course remains a challenge. The practice green is slow compared to the course - and those green vary quite a bit. Getting their (relative) stimp speed would be my next important step.

Huh, were are my charts...?