IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Can we please get this thread back on topic?

Let's see if this comment is "moderated"....

Your comment is awaiting moderation. 

So….
is it about golf or is it about media appearances and column inches? In your interviews you never corrrect misconceptions about your progress and never respond to comments here unless they are by non golfers who don’t see what’s really happening here.
If you have given up, that’s fine. Come out and admit it. You seem to have very little or no respect for the many people who have donated and/or followed this site. Your injury does not stop you from posting updates.

There's a lot more to this injury I suppose?

However, I can imagine if you don't do it right and try to get longer distances that you could seriously injure yourself. . .Maybe that's made him bitter?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After reading his blog, and injury like this can take months to heal. Take the winter off. Take up swimming to stay in shape. Pick up a club again in the spring.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Can we please get this thread back on topic?

So….
is it about golf or is it about media appearances and column inches? In your interviews you never corrrect misconceptions about your progress and never respond to comments here unless they are by non golfers who don’t see what’s really happening here.
If you have given up, that’s fine. Come out and admit it. You seem to have very little or no respect for the many people who have donated and/or followed this site. Your injury does not stop you from posting updates.

Interesting questions. He's not given up, I've suggested he posts that up. We're in touch every now and then.

Regarding all the chat about course ratings, appologies. The reason I found it interesting and to an extent 'on topic' is because it's relevant in seeing where Dan is. Shooting a given score round Riverside isn't the same as shooting that score on a tour setup but just how different is it? I chose my course specifically because it has aspects similar to the courses I'll be expected to play in the future such as penal rough, similar width fairways and tough greens (actually going to add a post about that to my thread as I took some photos and vids earlier today). I don't know Riverside, obviously, but the only pictures I've seen make it look reasonably 'tame'. It means there may be something of a culture shock when Dan moves to tougher courses,

After reading his blog, and injury like this can take months to heal. Take the winter off. Take up swimming to stay in shape. Pick up a club again in the spring.

+1

Very good advice. I just think he would do well to tell people that's the plan.

Edited by Nosevi

Pete Iveson

Interesting questions. He's not given up, I've suggested he posts that up. We're in touch every now and then.

Regarding all the chat about course ratings, appologies. The reason I found it interesting and to an extent 'on topic' is because it's relevant in seeing where Dan is. Shooting a given score round Riverside isn't the same as shooting that score on a tour setup but just how different is it? I chose my course specifically because it has aspects similar to the courses I'll be expected to play in the future such as penal rough, similar width fairways and tough greens (actually going to add a post about that to my thread as I took some photos and vids earlier today). I don't know Riverside, obviously, but the only pictures I've seen make it look reasonably 'tame'. It means there may be something of a culture shock when Dan moves to tougher courses,

+1

Very good advice. I just think he would do well to tell people that's the plan.

It plays like the standard blue and white tees on the longer course of my home course.

http://www.riversidegcc.com/club/scripts/golf/View_Course_Scorecard.asp

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Interesting info. From our previous conversations I take it CR 75.0 as an average is calculated? 

Like @Shorty said, can we please stay on topic please? Posts about CR should be in a totally different thread. Please create one in Golf Courses and Architecture and I'll move the appropriate posts there.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

It plays like the standard blue and white tees on the longer course of my home course.

http://www.riversidegcc.com/club/scripts/golf/View_Course_Scorecard.asp

I remember it has a lot of doglegs. I haven't played it in 10+ years. 

If he wants a tour championship golf course to play he can find someone to let him on Pumpkin Ridge. They just finished hosting a Web.com event. Yes, yes, not a PGA Tour event but I doubt it would be dramatically different. 

I would make the case that it doesn't matter what he shoots on his home course. He will know every blade of grass there, not need to do a bunch of work reading the greens etc, PGA Tour players play a different course each week and they need to be good everywhere they play. When I played with Joseph Bramlett (injured PGA Tour/ Web.com golfer) at our home course he would regularly shoot 65, bad days would be 68 and good days were 63. He shot a 60 a handful of times. And Joseph struggled a bit on the PGA Tour. Dan needs to be around there at his home course to be even remotely competitive. 

Michael

I remember it has a lot of doglegs. I haven't played it in 10+ years. 

If he wants a tour championship golf course to play he can find someone to let him on Pumpkin Ridge. They just finished hosting a Web.com event. Yes, yes, not a PGA Tour event but I doubt it would be dramatically different. 

I would make the case that it doesn't matter what he shoots on his home course. He will know every blade of grass there, not need to do a bunch of work reading the greens etc, PGA Tour players play a different course each week and they need to be good everywhere they play. When I played with Joseph Bramlett (injured PGA Tour/ Web.com golfer) at our home course he would regularly shoot 65, bad days would be 68 and good days were 63. He shot a 60 a handful of times. And Joseph struggled a bit on the PGA Tour. Dan needs to be around there at his home course to be even remotely competitive. 

So, an injured PGA/Web pro golfer still shot roughly 65, and on a bad day shoots 68? Guessing that a fit PGA/Web golfer would shoot a stroke or two better. . .

Thanks for the info, kind of confirms what I've been thinking. Dan has miles to go. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Like @Shorty said, can we please stay on topic please? Posts about CR should be in a totally different thread. Please create one in Golf Courses and Architecture and I'll move the appropriate posts there.

Sorry for that. I thought we were just trying to assess how tough the courses and set ups are that Dan hopes to play in the future. I was just interested to find out how much tougher they are than where he currently plays and the only way to assess that seemed to be by their CR.

Would appear they're about 4 shots a round tougher. So a pro that averages 71 on those courses should, in theory average 67 where Dan is (with all rounds, not best 10 of 20). Dan averages 80.8 for his last 20 rounds (I think) indicating he needs to drop about 14 shots a round. I think my maths is right but happy for anyone to correct me :-)

Pete Iveson

(edited)

Sorry for that. I thought we were just trying to assess how tough the courses and set ups are that Dan hopes to play in the future. I was just interested to find out how much tougher they are than where he currently plays and the only way to assess that seemed to be by their CR.

Would appear they're about 4 shots a round tougher. So a pro that averages 71 on those courses should, in theory average 67 where Dan is (with all rounds, not best 10 of 20). Dan averages 80.8 for his last 20 rounds (I think) indicating he needs to drop about 14 shots a round. I think my maths is right but happy for anyone to correct me :-)

You're right, it is related to the topic tangentially, but it started to get a little more Golf Courses/Architecture. Didn't mean to single you out, I saw that you tried to pull it back in, you happened to be the last to respond when I quoted.

Here's the other plan in Australia: 

https://www.facebook.com/igniteproject/photos/a.674898732609817.1073741828.672618602837830/707727552660268/?type=3&permPage=1

Swing's not too shabby. Can't get into though, it's not unlike any other person w/an active myswing thread here.

Edited by nevets88

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

No shortage of people inspired by Dan, but that was one of his goals is to inspire at least one person. . .

BTW, it's pretty obvious from the writing style and the content that Nevet's didn't write that message, plus it's in my email as to what Shorty actually wrote.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Isn't this guy the one who looked like he was going to spend more time in the gym than on the course? I know some have criticised Dan's apparent lack of athleticism but there's probably a happy medium.

Pete Iveson

Isn't this guy the one who looked like he was going to spend more time in the gym than on the course? I know some have criticised Dan's apparent lack of athleticism but there's probably a happy medium.

A modern day experiment in athletic ability and mental valour. Can raw talent, focused practise and absolute passion make up for lost time? We think so.

Should there be?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So….

Well fancy that.........gone. 

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Well fancy that.........gone. 

Interesting that moderators are taking out things that are not offensive and are on topic?

I see that @Nosevi mentioned that he is in contact with Dan. It surprises me that Dan is still working on this project, but at least I feel a little better that he didn't just abandon it.

All I can say is he's getting older, and doesn't really have any inspiring stories to tell. There are already older golfers who can inspire older wannabees. . .http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/58226-tour-pros-who-started-golf-later-in-life-are-there-any-successful-guys-on-tour-who-have-not-been-playing-since-childhood/

I just don't see the point behind the project other than to just bolster his ego. Well, at least he doesn't put down other people in the process like some of our more recent members. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• Administrator

Interesting that moderators are taking out things that are not offensive and are on topic?

I'm not sure you're understanding… there are no moderators at Dan's site. Just Dan.

He deleted the comment Shorty posted on his blog. This is not about TST moderators.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm not sure you're understanding… there are no moderators at Dan's site. Just Dan.

He deleted the comment Shorty posted on his blog. This is not about TST moderators.

Ah, that makes sense. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Hidden Content

I see that @Nosevi mentioned that he is in contact with Dan. It surprises me that Dan is still working on this project, but at least I feel a little better that he didn't just abandon it.

All I can say is he's getting older, and doesn't really have any inspiring stories to tell. There are already older golfers who can inspire older wannabees. . .http://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/58226-tour-pros-who-started-golf-later-in-life-are-there-any-successful-guys-on-tour-who-have-not-been-playing-since-childhood/

I just don't see the point behind the project other than to just bolster his ego. Well, at least he doesn't put down other people in the process like some of our more recent members. . .

Regarding the first comment, I think so. Another member said it all seemed to be about his gym work but if that's the case I think he's missing the point. I think gym work is important so you can maximise the impact of your skills work but I don't think it's a substitute. You still need the skills in the first place IMO.

Second comment, kind of hoping you don't mean me? I disagree with some of Dan's approaches but at the end of the day where I differ from some is that I acknowledge that it's his plan. I'll look at where he is in a detached way (if I can) but won't put down his efforts - IMO he's doing what he feels will benefit him most. I slightly disagree on a few fronts but then I've disagreed with him on those points for a while now and we agree to disagree. I think he needs to change his approach but I've said that to him as well as on here. I'm not putting him down by saying that, I'm trying to help.

Pete Iveson

Regarding the first comment, I think so. Another member said it all seemed to be about his gym work but if that's the case I think he's missing the point. I think gym work is important so you can maximise the impact of your skills work but I don't think it's a substitute. You still need the skills in the first place IMO.

Second comment, kind of hoping you don't mean me? I disagree with some of Dan's approaches but at the end of the day where I differ from some is that I acknowledge that it's his plan. I'll look at where he is in a detached way (if I can) but won't put down his efforts - IMO he's doing what he feels will benefit him most. I slightly disagree on a few fronts but then I've disagreed with him on those points for a while now and we agree to disagree. I think he needs to change his approach but I've said that to him as well as on here. I'm not putting him down by saying that, I'm trying to help.

No, you're not recent, and certainly not offensive.

Now that you are mentioning that he's packing on some bulk, I suppose that's a part of the plan that should be recorded? I wonder if he can put on enough and gain some flexibility?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Note: This thread is 2411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!