IGNORED

Who else sneaks on the golf courses?

sc0braj
Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jcollins120

I'm pretty sure I have good morals and I don't need you judging me just based off sneaking onto a course to play a little golf. I'm sure you've done some far worse things in your life and im sorry that my poor sense of judgement "baffles" you.

I rest my case.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whatever helps you sleep at night, douchebag.

Driver: Undecided..Someone help me decide
Fast 12 3 Wood 15* Stiff Shaft
A12 3 Hybrid 19* Stiff Shaft
CB Blade Irons (4-7) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
MB Blade Irons (8-PW) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
SM4 52* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 56* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 60* Oil Cal Wedge - Wedge Flex
2010 California Series - Monterey - 35'

it is not like i sneak on at noon or anything, i sneak on when there is barely anyone there. so i sneak on at 5 or 6. and i dont see any point in paying 30$ for 1 hour of daylight.

Driver- Titleist 910 D2 RIP 60 S- shaft

3 wood- Taylormade RBZ S shaft

Hybrid- Taylormade superfast 2.0 S shaft

Irons- Titleist AP2 712 DG- S300

Wedges- titleist vokey sm4

Putter- SC Fast Back

I'm pretty sure I have good morals and I don't need you judging me just based off sneaking onto a course to play a little golf. I'm sure you've done some far worse things in your life and im sorry that my poor sense of judgement "baffles" you.

I'm pretty sure you have poor morals and are baffled by what honest people do.  I'm also pretty sure that if you get caught by a course employee who is doing his or her job and the police officer who answers the employee's call isn't too busy to be bothered by low-value theft of services, you'll be facing a misdemeanor theft charge.  And with that on your record, there are multitudes of lucrative and rewarding career options that will be foreclosed to you in the future.  And any rat who deliberately avoids paying for greens fees will deserve all the consequences that befall his dishonesty.

I got a free round in last fall, probably the very last round played on that course, as it closed for the season the next day.  I had just hit a lot of range balls demoing some clubs at a range, was hitting it really sweetly, and wanted to get in 9 holes at the nearby muni course before it got dark.  The clubhouse was totally locked, both front and back, but the lights were on, there were still pins on the greens and I could see a few other golfers out there.  I practiced putting and chipping for 15 minutes hoping someone would come along so I could pay my greens fees and get going.  A twosome also circled the club house and said "Looks like a free round of golf."  Finally, I figured I'd need to tee off soon or I wouldn't be able to get in 9 holes, so I put my bag up by the first tee, when I saw a car with a vanity plate something like "CLUBPRO" pull in behind the clubhouse.  I walked up to the car, saw that it was the head pro, pulled out my wallet and he said "Have a nice round."  I asked "But what about greens fees?"  He grinned at me, waved me off, and said "I said, HAVE A NICE ROUND." Since I had just picked up two sets of irons cheap off eBay that I wanted to test out on the course, I played two balls.  I shot a 45 and a 44, my second and third-best 9-hole rounds ever.

I've had 4 free rounds this season for my daughter.  Two were at a local goat-track course where kids 15 and under play free, 16 and over are requested to put a donation ($3 is suggested) in an honor box.  The first time on a real course, the pro had to sit up a bit on his stool to look over the counter at my daughter and said "Well, she'll just be following along mostly for the experience, won't she?  I'm not going to charge someone trying to get a young child interested in the game."  The second time was this past weekend when the assistant took my 9-hole gift certificate and just waved the two of us off to the course with a "That's fine - just go have fun."

So DFerlman and JCollins, some/most of the time at the end of the day you'd probably not be charged a full greens fee for only a handful of holes, if you are charged one at all, if you were just honest and upfront with the person behind the counter.  You see, people like it when others are honest.  But I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

• Upvote 3

In my bag: - Ping G20 driver, 10.5 deg. S flex - Ping G20 3W, 15 deg., S flex - Nickent 4dx 3H, 4H - Nike Slingshot 4-PW - Adams Tom Watson 52 deg. GW - Vokey 58 deg. SW -Ping Half Wack-E putter

Maybe it's just me but I like to play with as little hassle as possible. Sneaking on to a course would bother me enough that I wouldn't enjoy it. That and I want to pay my way. It's important to me that I do my part to make sure the courses I frequent are successful. I get a lot from golf and I try to give back. I buy clothes at the pro shop, I don't bring my own beer etc. I appreciate that my fave course is 5 minutes from home and that most days I can walk on and play. Last thing I want to do is cheat them.

Dave :-)

Justification. You can go around justifying the reasons you should have "x" or "y" but it doesn't make it right. If you don't want to pay that much then play a cow pasture.

Let's just say some one decided that since they had a key to your car and you slept 10 hours at night, they could take it and use it for little short runs to the store. They always brought it back and parked it in the same place and left in the condition they took it. One day you finally notice that it has been being used and you confront them and they say, "Dude why buy a car for $15,000 when I am only going to use it for a couple of trips?" We cool?

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Dave2512

Maybe it's just me but I like to play with as little hassle as possible. Sneaking on to a course would bother me enough that I wouldn't enjoy it. That and I want to pay my way. It's important to me that I do my part to make sure the courses I frequent are successful. I get a lot from golf and I try to give back. I buy clothes at the pro shop, I don't bring my own beer etc. I appreciate that my fave course is 5 minutes from home and that most days I can walk on and play. Last thing I want to do is cheat them.

Slightly off topic - What course is that that you don't sneak on to play? (like how I got the topic into an off topic question?)  Riverdale Dunes?  Buffalo Run?  Both are good, but the Dunes course at Riverdale is one of my favorites.  I've played it since it opened - one of my best friends designed and made the sign at the entrance, and as part of his deal he got free golf for a season.

Rick

I'm sorry but it is 100% certain that there is a flaw in your morals if you think it's OK to sneak onto a golf course and not pay the green fees. There is no gray area, you are wrong and of that there is no question. This golf course does not belong to you but instead to a corporation, individual or municipality and it's not your toy to play as you please for free.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Slightly off topic - What course is that that you don't sneak on to play? (like how I got the topic into an off topic question?)  Riverdale Dunes?  Buffalo Run?  Both are good, but the Dunes course at Riverdale is one of my favorites.  I've played it since it opened - one of my best friends designed and made the sign at the entrance, and as part of his deal he got free golf for a season.

I play Coyote Creek in Ft. Lupton more than anything. Haven't played Buffalo Run but I eat there all the time. Wouldn't say I'm a frequent flyer at Riverdale but I do play there once a month or so. Since I usually play 9 I stick with the Dunes because there's no turn on the Knolls. Played Riverdale a lot back in the late 70's early 80's as a member of the Hyland Hills junior golf team when it was simply Adams County, they were our rivals. I'd play Riverdale more often if it wasn't so easy for me to walk on at Coyote Creek. That said as much as I like the Dunes, a truly beautiful course, I find it easy. I've never played the back 9 but I've never shot worse than 42 on the front, usually high 30's from the blue tees. It's wide open and short. I actually hit the green from the box on number 2 with a 3w when they had the tees up in mid October, well in it truth landed on the right fringe. I've missed more eagle putts on the Dunes par 5's than I care to remember. IMO the Knolls is tougher, lots of awkward water due to moving things around in the remodel.

Anyway I actually had a contract on a house that backed to the 7th fairway on Coyote Creek. I blew the deal up before it happened but even with the prospect of being able to walk out of my house on to the course sneaking on wasn't in my plans. However the pro said I could putt and chip as much as I cared to being that the practice green is open to the public year round barring frost and snow. At my parents club there is an unwritten rule that members can do whatever after hours as long it's within the usual guidelines. They live behind the par 3 13th green at the Ranch CC in Westminter and we've grabbed 8i's and putters to play that a few times over the summer. Though if you see people out there after hours it's usually people heading to the bar/grill in their carts. Totally different thing when you have people paying dues, trail fees and equity memberships.

I play Coyote Creek in Ft. Lupton more than anything. Haven't played Buffalo Run but I eat there all the time. Wouldn't say I'm a frequent flyer at Riverdale but I do play there once a month or so. Since I usually play 9 I stick with the Dunes because there's no turn on the Knolls. Played Riverdale a lot back in the late 70's early 80's as a member of the Hyland Hills junior golf team when it was simply Adams County, they were our rivals. I'd play Riverdale more often if it wasn't so easy for me to walk on at Coyote Creek. That said as much as I like the Dunes, a truly beautiful course, I find it easy. I've never played the back 9 but I've never shot worse than 42 on the front, usually high 30's from the blue tees. It's wide open and short. I actually hit the green from the box on number 2 with a 3w when they had the tees up in mid October, well in it truth landed on the right fringe. I've missed more eagle putts on the Dunes par 5's than I care to remember. IMO the Knolls is tougher, lots of awkward water due to moving things around in the remodel.

Anyway I actually had a contract on a house that backed to the 7th fairway on Coyote Creek. I blew the deal up before it happened but even with the prospect of being able to walk out of my house on to the course sneaking on wasn't in my plans. However the pro said I could putt and chip as much as I cared to being that the practice green is open to the public year round barring frost and snow. At my parents club there is an unwritten rule that members can do whatever after hours as long it's within the usual guidelines. They live behind the par 3 13th green at the Ranch CC in Westminter and we've grabbed 8i's and putters to play that a few times over the summer. Though if you see people out there after hours it's usually people heading to the bar/grill in their carts. Totally different thing when you have people paying dues, trail fees and equity memberships.

How is Coyote Creek? I have a customer just down the street and have passed by it many times. Looks nice for a development course.

Originally Posted by MSchott

How is Coyote Creek? I have a customer just down the street and have passed by it many times. Looks nice for a development course.

I will complete the thread hijack . I like it but it may be an acquired taste for some. For a small city operated course it's in good condition though it doesn't get much traffic so relative to the use I'd like to see better conditions. It draws folks of every stripe, from hardcore player types to the most casual recreational guys and there's a bit of a ball mark problem. They set it up aggressively mostly because I don't think they know what they are doing. Over the summer the rough was really long, lose your ball long if you didn't see exactly where it landed and there is no first cut. It's fairway lined by rough. I heard lots of complaints about it from area golfers I encountered at other courses. Which is likely why I scored lower just about everywhere else. When my folks came up to play a few times they complained about the rough and they're used to private club rough. There are dirt roads throughout the course for gas well access so it's a little funky. As a result there are inner OB areas that belong to whatever oil co./entity that owns that land. Check it out it's worth the money and during the week usually wide open. If I have a complaint it's the greens could be quicker and more consistent but it's a small one. Pretty much plays and feels like a rural course.

I will complete the thread hijack . I like it but it may be an acquired taste for some. For a small city operated course it's in good condition though it doesn't get much traffic so relative to the use I'd like to see better conditions. It draws folks of every stripe, from hardcore player types to the most casual recreational guys and there's a bit of a ball mark problem. They set it up aggressively mostly because I don't think they know what they are doing. Over the summer the rough was really long, lose your ball long if you didn't see exactly where it landed and there is no first cut. It's fairway lined by rough. I heard lots of complaints about it from area golfers I encountered at other courses. Which is likely why I scored lower just about everywhere else. When my folks came up to play a few times they complained about the rough and they're used to private club rough. There are dirt roads throughout the course for gas well access so it's a little funky. As a result there are inner OB areas that belong to whatever oil co./entity that owns that land. Check it out it's worth the money and during the week usually wide open. If I have a complaint it's the greens could be quicker and more consistent but it's a small one. Pretty much plays and feels like a rural course.

Thanks. I rarely see anyone on the course. Too bad about the rough.

To get back on track, it's morally and ethically wrong to sneak onto a golf course and play for free.

@Wisguy I'm pretty sure you would change your mind after meeting me in person and not just judging me from off a computer. If you saw the things I do for my golf community, it's really not a big deal for sneaking onto a course (especially the ones me and Dferlmann play) We have golf passes, we just dont feel like wasting the time to go "pay."

@Mschot Since you know so much about how my morals are supposedly wrong, what else can you tell me about myself since you obviously know so much about me big guy?

Oh and PS to all: this thread if for funny stories about guys (who actually have a set of balls) to tell their funny stories about sneaking onto courses. It's not for sticklers (douchebags as i call them) to come on and judge people for having "poor morals." You don't know anything about the people on here and calling someone out like that is a little ridiculous. How about you do us all a favor and move on over to a different thread and leave negative comments there. Clearly young kids like myself are just joking around and having a good time, I don't really sneak onto courses that much and obviously it is wrong, but calling me out for having "poor morals" pisses me off. And with that being said, I'm out.

Open letter to those who don't seem to feel that there is anything wrong with stealing golf:

Why do you think that courses charge a fee to for play?  A golf course is like any other business enterprise - they spend money to provide a service.  They must maintain the course, which means paying workers, buying many thousands of dollars worth of supplies and equipment.  They don't go down to the local Lowe's to buy a rake and a shovel and a lawnmower.  The specialized equipment used by courses these days is very costly.  They run a golf pro shop, most maintain a practice facility of some kind.  To do all of that, they must generate revenue.  That revenue comes in the the fees we pay to play golf.  Anyone not paying is degrading the course, taking up space, and giving nothing back in return.  Don't kid yourself by thinking that you don't cause any damage.  Playing golf is hard on the course unless all you do is putt.  If enough people did it, the course would deteriorate to the point where it would no longer be the quality golfing experience that the paying customers have come to expect, because the management wouldn't be able to afford to pay the employees, or buy the quality equipment and supplies necessary for keeping the course in top shape.  It takes a very short time for a course to go from decently maintained and fun to play to a poorly maintained mess of a goat track, and most often the difference simply comes down to revenue.

Each time you play without paying you might just as well be taking money straight out of the cash drawer in the register. You are taking for free what the rest of us are paying for, and you still can't see why we are irate about it????? How can you be so all about you?  What makes you so &*@# special?  And then you even have the audacity to get angry with us for calling you out?  Just unreal.  If you can't afford to play golf, then why don't you do us all a favor - take up tiddly-winks and leave the golf course open and pristine for the rest of us who are willing to pay to support that experience.

• Upvote 3

Rick

Open letter to those who don't seem to feel that there is anything wrong with stealing golf:

Why do you think that courses charge a fee to for play?  A golf course is like any other business enterprise - they spend money to provide a service.  They must maintain the course, which means paying workers, buying many thousands of dollars worth of supplies and equipment.  They don't go down to the local Lowe's to buy a rake and a shovel and a lawnmower.  The specialized equipment used by courses these days is very costly.  They run a golf pro shop, most maintain a practice facility of some kind.  To do all of that, they must generate revenue.  That revenue comes in the the fees we pay to play golf.  Anyone not paying is degrading the course, taking up space, and giving nothing back in return.  Don't kid yourself by thinking that you don't cause any damage.  Playing golf is hard on the course unless all you do is putt.  If enough people did it, the course would deteriorate to the point where it would no longer be the quality golfing experience that the paying customers have come to expect, because the management wouldn't be able to afford to pay the employees, or buy the quality equipment and supplies necessary for keeping the course in top shape.  It takes a very short time for a course to go from decently maintained and fun to play to a poorly maintained mess of a goat track, and most often the difference simply comes down to revenue.

Each time you play without paying you might just as well be taking money straight out of the cash drawer in the register.  You are taking for free what the rest of us are paying for, and you still can't see why we are irate about it?????  How can you be so all about you?  What makes you so &*@# special?  And then you even have the audacity to get angry with us for calling you out?  Just unreal.  If you can't afford to play golf, then why don't you do us all a favor - take up tiddly-winks and leave the golf course open and pristine for the rest of us who are willing to pay to support that experience.

Technically a letter should start out with some kind of greeting - like Dear Sir or Madame, to Whom It May Concern . .or possibly just Dear Golf Stealing Dirtbags . . .

And then it should end with something like Sincerely, [Your Name]

Sorry to be nitpicky but I want to make sure you're taken seriously when you write your letters.

I sort of agree with you - in the sense that sneaking onto a golf course is wrong and the same as stealing.  I just feel like it's the courses responsibility to manage thier business.  If I see somebody take a newspaper from a machine without paying - I don't whip out my cell phone and call the cops.  Heck - Even if I saw somebody shoplifting at Wal-Mart - I'm gonna look the other way vs confront them or call security.  Let Wal-Mart worry about that.  Getting involved in other people's business just invites trouble.  It doesn't make it right, though.

A guy I play with told a story about going to the Masters with a group of guys. Seems they had several adult beverages before they arrived, and one guy actually passed out in the car. Well, the other guys left him in the car to sleep it off. When he woke up, he was all alone and disoriented. He still wanted to go in, but he thought the other guys had his ticket. To make a long story short, he was caught trying to climb the fence at Augusta National with his ticket in his pocket.

Each time you play without paying you might just as well be taking money straight out of the cash drawer in the register.  You are taking for free what the rest of us are paying for, and you still can't see why we are irate about it?????  How can you be so all about you?  What makes you so &*@# special?  And then you even have the audacity to get angry with us for calling you out?  Just unreal.  If you can't afford to play golf, then why don't you do us all a favor - take up tiddly-winks and leave the golf course open and pristine for the rest of us who are willing to pay to support that experience.

First off, tiddly-winks is a game you should take up because it suits your feminine personality. Second, don't try to say I can't afford to play because once again, it's not your job to judge people.

Note: This thread is 3363 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!