IGNORED

Scramble Woes

upah
Note: This thread is 4724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm so close to being good at this game...  I work with intercollegiate athletics and played an end-of-year scramble with my staff earlier this week.  I was pegged as one of the better players there and from random draw played with three people physically incapable of hitting the ball 100 yards.  They teed off from the forward tees and I played from about 6200.  The course we played is links style with several broken fairways and about 5 yards of rough to deal with before absolute nothingness.  It reminds me of Whistling Straits.

Long story short, I couldn't hit a decent tee shot to save my life.  We played several of my partners' tee shots, meaning our second shot was often long as hell.  Here's the kicker: I hit 9 approach shots from 175 and further to 10 feet or better.  We had 4 eagle opportunities.  I put a 3-wood to 8 feet from 270.  I hit the pin from the rough at 215.  The way I was striking my irons, I could have shot 75 by just hitting it in bounds from the tee.  Why does it seem that my tee shots only work for me during marginal iron days and vice versa?  I'd shank a 3-wood off the tee and dime the approach with the same club.  Damn this game... I'll never figure it out!

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Is this an issue you have just with scrambles or does this affect your regular game as well?

You're right though about you (and the rest of us) never figuring this game out!

Alan Olson

Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!
Check out our Facebook page!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only reason I had an opportunity to hit these approach shots was because I was bailed out by my scramble partners.  Generally speaking, when my driver is on, I can't buy an approach shot.  When I'm hitting my irons crisp, I'm all over off the tee.  I can't seem to embrace both swings at the same time...

Driver: Taylormade Tour Burner 9.5° | Fairway Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15° | Irons: Mizuno MP-57 3-PW | Wedges: Cleveland CG11 52° 56° 60° | Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Rossie

Originally Posted by upah

I'm so close to being good at this game...  I work with intercollegiate athletics and played an end-of-year scramble with my staff earlier this week.  I was pegged as one of the better players there and from random draw played with three people physically incapable of hitting the ball 100 yards.  They teed off from the forward tees and I played from about 6200.  The course we played is links style with several broken fairways and about 5 yards of rough to deal with before absolute nothingness.  It reminds me of Whistling Straits.

Long story short, I couldn't hit a decent tee shot to save my life.  We played several of my partners' tee shots, meaning our second shot was often long as hell.  Here's the kicker: I hit 9 approach shots from 175 and further to 10 feet or better.  We had 4 eagle opportunities.  I put a 3-wood to 8 feet from 270.  I hit the pin from the rough at 215.  The way I was striking my irons, I could have shot 75 by just hitting it in bounds from the tee.  Why does it seem that my tee shots only work for me during marginal iron days and vice versa?  I'd shank a 3-wood off the tee and dime the approach with the same club.  Damn this game... I'll never figure it out!

Humble Brag??

In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

I really enjoy playing scrambles once in awhile.  It allows you to attempt shots you never would try in a metal match. But I admit it sometimes, when you have a bad day, make you feel you let the 'team" down.

Butch

For whatever reason, I tend to play a bit better during team competition - and I love scrambles.  I think I just like the camaraderie of team play.  We have our roles.  I'm never the longest in our typical scramble group, but can often get a decent drive down the fairway.  Then the long hitters can flail away with no pressure.  I take great pride in providing the relief valve role, even if we only use a couple/three of my drives the whole day.

Quote:
I could have shot 75 by just hitting it in bounds from the tee.

Never underestimate the importance of getting the first shot 'right'.  Our league does several special event nights throughout the year - one is called the 'Bramble'.  Each player gets a tee shot and everyone plays their second from the spot of the best one, as chosen by the group.  Then each player finishes his own ball through the end of the hole.  It is AMAZING how much lower everyone scores when you virtually eliminate any possibility of an errant tee shot.  I used to think 'drive for show' and all that rot, but not so much anymore.  You can't usually win a hole on the tee shot, but you most certainly can take yourself out of the hole on a bad one.

In my bag: adams.gif Speedline Fast 10 10.5, Speedline 3W, Ping Zing2 5-SW  vokey.gif 60 deg odyssey.gif 2-ball    330-RXS

If you like scrambles,, you'll love "Scavenger" golf..  It's like scramble from tee to green, but once on the green you play and putt out your own shot.. It's alot of fun

Originally Posted by NEOHMark

Never underestimate the importance of getting the first shot 'right'.  Our league does several special event nights throughout the year - one is called the 'Bramble'.  Each player gets a tee shot and everyone plays their second from the spot of the best one, as chosen by the group.  Then each player finishes his own ball through the end of the hole.  It is AMAZING how much lower everyone scores when you virtually eliminate any possibility of an errant tee shot.  I used to think 'drive for show' and all that rot, but not so much anymore.  You can't usually win a hole on the tee shot, but you most certainly can take yourself out of the hole on a bad one.

A little off topic but I sure do agree with this statement.  You hear a lot about how important the short game is, and it is, but don't hear much about how important it is to put the tee ball in decent position.  If you are consistently  playing from the rough or worse, it can just destroy your confidence and your short game likely won't hold up when you put that kind of pressure on it.

Butch

Note: This thread is 4724 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!