IGNORED

what is your trigger thought for the downswing?

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

interested in what everyone hear uses to trigger their downswing.

For me, it a small bump of the right knee (Im right handed)-- for me, it help me get weight forward and drive legs better than any other swing thoughts.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

I try to trigger my downswing with a "firing" of the hips. I try to almost exaggerate it so I feel it.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

i have a small loop in my swing.  i start the backswing off far outside(to me anyway) and i then get the club into position by looping or moving it back towards the inside, this helps me swing from inside out. . .so my answer to that question would be, my downswing trigger is moving my club to the inside at the top, the only other though i might have is to make sure the back of my glove hand isn't pointing up, but moving towards the target and ground.

In my Titleist Stand Bag

Driver:      Cleveland Launcher DST 9.5*

5 Wood:   Taylor Made Burner 17.5*

Irons:       Taylor Made Burner 09 4-PW, AW                    

Wedges:  2 Cleveland CG14's -- 56* & 60*

Putter:      Odyssey White Hot XG Sabertooth  ball: TP Black LDP

Main downswing thought? "Oh God, please don't let me completely miss it!"

Other than that, right now I'm trying to get less quick in the transition, so my focus is on the pressure point under the right arm. If the club gets all the way to the top, I feel a little bit of extra weight there as it sets itself (or maybe float loads, not sure of the precise terminology in this case). Then it's just keep that connection to the torso and go left hard.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Little hit bump for me

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Nothing really. But on less than full shots I seem to begin with a thought of pulling the heel of my left hand down from the top of the back swing (think of a point at right angles from my thumb and pinkie finger).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Drop the hands.

I played a lot of baseball as a kid, and early on had problems in golf with spinning out rather than swinging "down and through." Later on, I had trouble with overswinging, looping and other "over the top" adventures. Shortening my backswing, plus dropping the hands, prevents this from happening on y good days.

Trigger thought really describes it. The hands drop, and the hip drive and downswing follow automatically as the weight shifts. The hand drop also improves lag somewhat.

If anyone has ever shot a rifle competitively, dropping the hands is equal to "taking up the trigger slack" right before you fire the weapon.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I had the typical baseball swing problems too.  I used too much upper body and arms and not enough legs and hips on the swing.

My downswing is triggered by the thought of starting my hips.  I just let my arms feel as though they're coming along for the ride.

-----------------------------------------------------
Driver - MX560 10.5 stiff
Hybrid Tour Edge rescue 18 degree
Irons - Knife 3-PW
Wedge - SV Tour 58 deg.Putter - Harmonized 425 Soft TouchBall - e6+or Feel

Haha I had golf problems with baseball. I could hit a pitch low and in about a mile but I couldn't hit much else. 1 season 12 games 43 at bats 9 hits 6 home runs....

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

For me its the firing of the hips.  I used to have problems with my swing being a bit too armsy, which caused me to not rotate my hips through the ball and hit a big ole push.  Learning to fire my hips more has helped to fix that.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Think all golfers need to start with a bump of the knees or hips. If your stock shot is a push perhaps concentrating on separating your hands from your shoulders as quickly as possible and releasing the clubhead through the ball might be the way to go. If you pull the ball try slowing the shoulders keeping them quiet and out of the action. This, most of the time works for me.

The lower body absolutely must lead the downswing, but using a conscious lower body key may leave you with the task of synchronizing everything.  That's not easy to do in the one second or so that you have from takeaway to impact.  I could never do it consistently on the golf course.

So, I use the lead shoulder key as explained in the master key instruction.  That makes my lower body movements subconscious and perfect every time.  Also, my body pulls my arms down and through, so there is no synchronizing to do between arms and body.

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to believe that I'm really weird.

On the course, I have no swing thoughts. At address, I tell myself to be smooth, check my target, and swing. On the range, if I'm working on something, I'll think through a swing. But while playing, I'm simply trying to hit a shot. Visualizing the shot is the only thing I think about.

The swing either works, or it doesn't...

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Originally Posted by wmiller

After reading this thread, I'm beginning to believe that I'm really weird.

On the course, I have no swing thoughts. At address, I tell myself to be smooth, check my target, and swing. On the range, if I'm working on something, I'll think through a swing. But while playing, I'm simply trying to hit a shot. Visualizing the shot is the only thing I think about.

The swing either works, or it doesn't...

I think to an extent everyone is like that. To me my "Trigger Thought" is not something I actively do always but rather something I feel. It is something where after the swing I know if I did or did not do it and for me It is something that If I don't feel it happen on a swing, that swing Is not a good one.

I don't wait at the top of my backswing and think "OK Now fire those hips!" but If i swing and I don't feel those hips fire I know every other part of my swing is going to come crashing down.

since i have active hips, i never really concentrated on it. my first feeling is dropping my hands down. That gets him inside and then its just fire through

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

my first move is to start to rotate the left shoulder back to the address position, this keeps my swing compact and doesn't let my left hip get too far in front of my body.  If I start with the left hip or legs driving first I tend to clear the left side too quickly resulting in a pull hook.  I only practice this on the range, when I am on course, I don't have any swing thoughts, as far as swing mechanics goes, I just make 2 nice smooth regular tempo practice swings, line it up, then its just backswing, swing, best not to clutter up your mind on the course, it should be automatic as far as I am concerned.  I do log a lot of range time to achieve this

My thought is to start rotating my lower torso, which is I suspect what others are referring to as "firing" their hips. Ben Hogan claimed that lower body rotation should always precede upper body or shoulder/arm rotation. So starting a downswing with any thoughts about the shoulders is a big non-no, which is likely to get the hands too far ahead and the club face closed.

Note: This thread is 3202 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!