IGNORED

Tiger skipping the US Open

Golden
Note: This thread is 4704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think it's more of an issue of him turning 36 (pertaining to his body) this December than anything else. The clock is ticking now. It wasn't in 2008, or seemingly not like today.

That reminds me of the analogy about the roll of toilet paper. The closer to the end the faster it goes. It's the same with life or a great sports career. I still think he has plenty of golf left in him.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Woods' played an extremely limited schedule over the last 2 years already. Football players that recover are back on the field and healthy in less than a year.

That a golfer hasn't recovered after 2 years is very telling,

Folks are going round saying "But he won the US Open on a shredded-leg in 2008"!!

It does make you wonder how injured the knee and heel really are today . Woods' method of handling info in the media makes it hard to understand at best. Perhaps he knows that he really is done for the year, yet will make the announcement a tournament at a time to keep the public interest in his comeback strong.

If he were to come forth and say that he is done for the year, which indeed may be the case, he would move to the back page and perhaps that is what he (or his ego) can't handle ...

Furthermore, whole 'Steiny/IMG' business...IMG split with him when they could have millions of dollars left in the game? I don't think so - Woods made US$1mill for IMG last year and Steiny wanted to renew the contract for US$3mill.

Last I checked I don't think a successful business like IMG would just abruptly make the decision without some serious objective decision making behind it. The only thing I can conclude is there's a lot of stuff being kept behind the curtain in his camp.

Worst-case scenario: Woods is done. The shows over and IMG know it.

He had a great career, his achievements are undeniable. That being said, anyone who thinks that Woods who has 4-5 injuries to his knee, a bad neck, bad eyes, is mentally shot, whose putter is ice-cold, whose swing is a mess, and who is 3 years off 40 is a great athlete for them to keep is insane.
IMG is wise enough to pick up on what several others have already accepted. It's not that his injury is secretly much worse, it's just that his career is over and it's time to move on

• Upvote 1
TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I'm surprised by how little people seem to care about this.  I guess it's a sign that Tiger is losing his star-power.  If he doesn't start winning again he will start to be considered a "legendary golfer of the past" in another year or so.  I didn't see it coming last year but I'm starting to think Tiger is going to pull a David Duvall after all . . only I doubt he'll do it with as much class and in such an inspiring way as David has.

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I'm surprised by how little people seem to care about this.  I guess it's a sign that Tiger is losing his star-power.  If he doesn't start winning again he will start to be considered a "legendary golfer of the past" in another year or so.  I didn't see it coming last year but I'm starting to think Tiger is going to pull a David Duvall after all . . only I doubt he'll do it with as much class and in such an inspiring way as David has.

I'm not surprised about the "eh" reaction. I think people are just burned out of the whole Tiger misfortune thing. I mean, whats left to be said? But I will say I think the book hasn't closed on Tigers career just yet. I'm guessing there are a few more chapters to be written before all said and done. That is if he can get healthy.

Originally Posted by RichF

Woods' played an extremely limited schedule over the last 2 years already. Football players that recover are back on the field and healthy in less than a year.

Folks are going round saying "But he won the US Open on a shredded-leg in 2008"!!

It does make you wonder how injured the knee and heel really are today. Woods' method of handling info in the media makes it hard to understand at best. Perhaps he knows that he really is done for the year, yet will make the announcement a tournament at a time to keep the public interest in his comeback strong.

If he were to come forth and say that he is done for the year, which indeed may be the case, he would move to the back page and perhaps that is what he (or his ego) can't handle ...

Furthermore, whole 'Steiny/IMG' business...IMG split with him when they could have millions of dollars left in the game? I don't think so - Woods made US$1mill for IMG last year and Steiny wanted to renew the contract for US$3mill.

Last I checked I don't think a successful business like IMG would just abruptly make the decision without some serious objective decision making behind it. The only thing I can conclude is there's a lot of stuff being kept behind the curtain in his camp.

Worst-case scenario: Woods is done. The shows over and IMG know it.

He had a great career, his achievements are undeniable. That being said, anyone who thinks that Woods who has 4-5 injuries to his knee, a bad neck, bad eyes, is mentally shot, whose putter is ice-cold, whose swing is a mess, and who is 3 years off 40 is a great athlete for them to keep is insane.

IMG is wise enough to pick up on what several others have already accepted. It's not that his injury is secretly much worse, it's just that his career is over and it's time to move on

Rich, you have an interesting take on this.  IMG dropped the agent because they couldn't afford (justify) his salary, but the agent stays on with Team Tiger. This makes you wonder what IMG is thinking as Tiger still made serious endorsement cash. If Tiger's scandal would have been limited to one assistant it would be a different story, but when his portfolio of skanks came forward it was just too much for even the liberal media to justify.  Still, by judging from his 2010 figures, Tiger is not hurting financially by any means. So what is the real deal?

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

Rich, you have an interesting take on this.  IMG dropped the agent because they couldn't afford (justify) his salary, but the agent stays on with Team Tiger. This makes you wonder what IMG is thinking as Tiger still made serious endorsement cash. If Tiger's scandal would have been limited to one assistant it would be a different story, but when his portfolio of skanks came forward it was just too much for even the liberal media to justify.  Still, by judging from his 2010 figures, Tiger is not hurting financially by any means. So what is the real deal?

I honestly think...IMG know/knew what the real deal is/was (of course, we don't ) and dropped his ass and then Steiny decided to walk.

Check it out:

http://espn.go.com/g...nberg-img-split

http://www.golfchann...or-img-to-keep/

It's probably more about name recognition and a well negotiated contract. When you have ' the #1 ' name in golf, you'll take a hit in money in order to have that name in a business portfolio, especially when that name was generating business. What they potentially lost from his contract, they more than made up for in the business he generated from new and re-signed clients.

Let's do some 'Mathematical-Guesswork': he's signed mainly with Steiny, who acts more or less like an independent contractor to IMG. IMG probably gives him some stationary and business cards and says go sign athletes. Tiger made 75M or so, Steiny gets what 5-10% of that, then IMG gets 15-20% of what Steiny gets.

That's my guess - total guesswork, but when you clear the forest of trees, etc, etc,

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

I honestly think...IMG know/knew what the real deal is/was (of course, we don't) and dropped his ass and then Steiny decided to walk.

Check it out:

http://espn.go.com/g...nberg-img-split

http://www.golfchann...or-img-to-keep/

It's probably more about name recognition and a well negotiated contract. When you have 'the #1' name in golf, you'll take a hit in money in order to have that name in a business portfolio, especially when that name was generating business. What they potentially lost from his contract, they more than made up for in the business he generated from new and re-signed clients.

Let's do some 'Mathematical-Guesswork': he's signed mainly with Steiny, who acts more or less like an independent contractor to IMG. IMG probably gives him some stationary and business cards and says go sign athletes. Tiger made 75M or so, Steiny gets what 5-10% of that, then IMG gets 15-20% of what Steiny gets.

That's my guess - total guesswork, but when you clear the forest of trees, etc, etc,

That makes sense to keep #1 around because his affiliation is a selling point to current and future clients even if it is costing you money.

• Administrator

Football players that recover are back on the field and healthy in less than a year.

It's not the same injury. It's a new injury. He "recovered" pretty well in 2009 from his 2008 surgery. He was healthy (but lost) in 2010. 2011 has seen him start to return to form UNTIL this new injury.

Yes, it's to the same part of the body, but it's a new injury.

Originally Posted by RichF

Folks are going round saying "But he won the US Open on a shredded-leg in 2008"!!

It does make you wonder how injured the knee and heel really are today.

First, they're not so injured that he couldn't play nine holes. And again, he was told he couldn't further injure his leg in 2008, and he knew he was following the surgery by taking eight months off. This time around, it's different. A different injury (one he can further injure), and a different time table (still two more majors to play, and he is possibly able to play in them).

If he were to come forth and say that he is done for the year, which indeed may be the case, he would move to the back page and perhaps that is what he (or his ego) can't handle

I'm fairly confident that it's more likely he wishes he was back page news at this point. You're attributing a lot to a guy you're known to dislike quite a bit. Occam's Razor, buddy.

I'd be curious to hear your definition of "career is over" and how much you'd be willing to put up against others that your prediction is accurate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by iacas

I'd be curious to hear your definition of "career is over" and how much you'd be willing to put up against others that your prediction is accurate.

Do you remember that we have a $100 bet for whether Tiger wins a PGA tournament on this year? Regardless his injuries or whatever his reason(s), I was and am still confident that Tiger will not win a PGA tournament this year.  When Yang took Tiger down at PGA Championship 2 years ago, new era has started..and Tiger can't get back to new era.

Golf: Agony & Love over 3 Generations

• Administrator

Originally Posted by PiustheDrGolf

Do you remember that we have a $100 bet for whether Tiger wins a PGA tournament on this year? Regardless his injuries or whatever his reason(s), I was and am still confident that Tiger will not win a PGA tournament this year.  When Yang took Tiger down at PGA Championship 2 years ago, new era has started..and Tiger can't get back to new era.

Yep. I still think you're going to lose, but I haven't forgotten. It's bookmarked.

How about rather than talking about that, we stick to the topic at hand? There's a lot of golf after the U.S. Open.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by PiustheDrGolf

When Yang took Tiger down at PGA Championship 2 years ago, new era has started..and Tiger can't get back to new era.

You mean Tiger can't get back to the OLD era right?

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

We can't predict the future, and he's suffered a new injury (they tend to come in bunches), but his once limitiless potential seems to now have limits. Doesn't mean he won't win though.Look at the list of winners this year. Are there more than 3 or 4 guys anyone would bet on playing head to head against Tiger - right now?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

The weirdest part of this whole saga is how they used to introduce him as "The World Number #1:  Tiger Woods", then they started saying "The World #2:  Tiger Woods".  I think I heard them say #3, then they just gave up.  At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he announced his retirement from the game.  He tasted his shot at glory.  It was fun to watch for a while, but life goes on....

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

And now, the 15th ranked player in the world.... TIGGGGEEERRR WOOOOOOOOOODDDSSSSS!

Yeah, doesn'thave the same ring to it/

It's not the same injury. It's a new injury. He "recovered" pretty well in 2009 from his 2008 surgery. He was healthy (but lost) in 2010. 2011 has seen him start to return to form UNTIL this new injury.

Yes, it's to the same part of the body, but it's a new injury.

First, they're not so injured that he couldn't play nine holes. And again, he was told he couldn't further injure his leg in 2008, and he knew he was following the surgery by taking eight months off. This time around, it's different. A different injury (one he can further injure), and a different time table (still two more majors to play, and he is possibly able to play in them).

I'm fairly confident that it's more likely he wishes he was back page news at this point. You're attributing a lot to a guy you're known to dislike quite a bit. Occam's Razor, buddy.

1 - Old injury...new injury...old injury...new injury..it's the same knackered 37-year-old man...stop splitting hairs.

2 - 'Occam's Razor'? Yep, I'll take it...the easiest explanation is the correct one. See the rest of my 42nd post for explanation.

3 - Career over as in 'Not-Winning-Anything-Else'

Lets see what happens in the next 12 months...

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°

Like I posted weeks ago: tiger's achilies has to heal before he can rehab his knee and that takes months.  If his knee was a major issue he'd at least have a brace here.

proof:

article-2003068-0C8618EE00000578-412_468x644.jpg

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

I hope he's practicing his putting

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I hope he's practicing his putting

you can't walk around or stand on your foot when you are trying to recover from an achilies strain.  hence the crutches and boot.

like I said before: I was in a boot for 2 months almost full time and wore it on and off for another few months.

Bag:
Driver and 3-wood: Titleist 910D3 9.5* + 910Df 15* w/ Aldila RIP 80 X flex
2-iron: King Cobra II Forged DG-x100

3-Hybrid: 20* Adams 9031DF DG-x100
4-9 irons: Bridgestone Tour Premium DG-s400
Wedges: Vokey 200 series: 48, 54, 60 DG-s400
Putter: original Cameron Newport gunmetal blue

Note: This thread is 4704 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!