IGNORED

Aronimink...future major championship course?

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I remember reading one of Tiger's press conference transcript a few weeks ago and the one guy asked him about Aronimink being a future host to a major championship.

Tiger said it's possible, but that it would need a little bit of work. But he said the greens are fantastic.

So do you think Aronimink Golf Club will ever host a major championship like the U.S. Open or PGA Championship? What about another event at all on the PGA Tour schedule, since it's done with the AT&T; National after next week?

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I didn't realize the AT and T was being played at Aronimink. I'll have to pay more attention.

There are factors other than the course when the PGA or USGA chooses a course for the US Open or PGA. It must be able to handle the crowds that come to see a major and have room for lots of hospitality tents. I don't know how long the course plays but for a major I'd guess it would need to be about 7500 yards (Merion is a major exception to this rule).

Certainly the fact that they have hosted the ATT is in their favor as is the history of the course. There are also a lot of politics. Many think that Congressional was not worthy of a US Open. On TV it did not look to have the strategy to do so and it lacks the cache for sure. But it did have the facilities and infrastructure. I've been to a US Open and Ryder Cup at Oakland Hills and they have the room to do the job. Part of the north course is used for buses dropping off the spectators and there is plenty of room for tents and concessions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately I don't see anyway that a major could be played there with amount of room and parking needed to host a major. I love the idea of merion getting the us open but I will be shocked to see how they handle the masses. I also can't wait to see how they set up the course to combat the lack of length. I don't think aronimink will get a tour stop either since they don't really add new venues outside of majors. I think the course is definitely worthy of at least a tour stop but so are a lot of courses.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Unfortunately I don't see anyway that a major could be played there with amount of room and parking needed to host a major. I love the idea of merion getting the us open but I will be shocked to see how they handle the masses. I also can't wait to see how they set up the course to combat the lack of length. I don't think aronimink will get a tour stop either since they don't really add new venues outside of majors. I think the course is definitely worthy of at least a tour stop but so are a lot of courses.

The USGA isn't going to sell as many tickets at Merion as they have at recent US Opens, but getting crowds to and from the course won't be a problem: a SEPTA light rail line makes a stop literally across the street from the clubhouse, so shuttling people around will be easy.

As for Aronimink, it can be said that the club is due another chance for a major championship. It was scheduled to host the PGA Championship in 1993, but the club withdrew those plans before that tournament took place. After the controversy over Shoal Creek's lack of black members during the 1990 event, the PGA of America mandated minority requirements at host clubs from that point forward; Aronimink had no minority members at the time, and did not wish to compromise its membership standards at such short notice (the club does meet those requirements today). The PGA has already announced championship venues up to 2018, and I would not be surprised if Aronimink's name comes up when the host course for 2019 or 2020 is announced.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

As for Aronimink, it can be said that the club is due another chance for a major championship. It was scheduled to host the PGA Championship in 1993, but the club withdrew those plans before that tournament took place. After the controversy over Shoal Creek's lack of black members during the 1990 event, the PGA of America mandated minority requirements at host clubs from that point forward; Aronimink had no minority members at the time, and did not wish to compromise its membership standards at such short notice (the club does meet those requirements today). The PGA has already announced championship venues up to 2018, and I would not be surprised if Aronimink's name comes up when the host course for 2019 or 2020 is announced.

I was actually just talking to my father about this today. He played it the day before either the PGA or the USGA (he doesn't remember which one) was going to be checking out the course to see if they could hold their tournament there. He loved the course, and apparently so did the PGA/USGA, but because of the reasons you cited it didn't end up hosting.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

i have been lucky enough to play Aronimink multiple times over the last couple of years. it is a course that never relents, the greens are outstanding and they keep the rough thick and deep all of the time....to a point where if i was a member it would annoy me. from the conversations i have had there with the members they apparently have some kind if internal S&M; feelings because they seem to want it that way!

bottom line IMO it is certainly worthy of a major, it is every bit or more of a course then many of the open venues. I am supposed to be playing Merion for the first time in a few weeks so i will have a better base of comparision at that point.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

We need a major championship to come to Colorado! And not the Broadmore or Cherry Hills, I think they ought to play a course up in the mountains.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

We need a major championship to come to Colorado! And not the Broadmore or Cherry Hills, I think they ought to play a course up in the mountains.

That would be fun to watch.. They'd have to play from 8000+ up there. I would really enjoy watching a tournament like that.. Not to mention I'm sure it would be beautiful!

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed.  Aronomink is very worthy and will host a major by 2020. The membership issue and then a slight conditioning issue a few years back.  But the ATT has been a success and it just points out the fabulous Philly area and the multiple GREAT courses in the area.

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!