IGNORED

Drinking Water vs. Diet Soda

Yukari
Note: This thread is 4626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently stopped drinking diet sodas a few months ago. But it wasn't the soda I was craving it was the carbonation especially with a meal. I switched to some variation of carbonated water (sparkling, soda water, etc...) You still have to be careful though, there are some carbonated water that use artificial sweetners. Crystal Geyser Sparkling Mineral water is good option. There are many flavors when you get them at Costco in bulk. When I'm at a restaurant I usually ask for soda water with a lemon wedge.

Originally Posted by saevel25

Spike in sugar levels in the blood cause hunger.. HFCS in regular sodas are 45% sugar 55% fructose. The fructose goes directly to the liver, were it can cause damage if in high concentration, similar to alcohal. the  sugar is dumped into the blood stream and will cause an insuline reaction. This is also bad. The spike in blood sugar causes hunger.

Caffiene isn't that bad, but it has been known that diet sodas inhibit weight loss. They have nnothing to do with hunger. Well drinking more water actually supresses hunger, so carbonated soda is about a 4 to 1 ratio when it comes to water. Meaning if your dehydrated, it will take 4- 8 oz cans of cola to equal 1 - 8oz serving of water. So if you drink like 20 cans of soda you might become less dehydrated.

Just drink water, if you want flavor, drop in a lemon or something.

If your going to need Caffiene i would go with Cofee or Tea.

I think you missed the point of this thread entirely.  It is about the differences between water and DIET soda, not regular soda.

Yeah, I kinda skipped the "diet" part. :P There are lots of talk about the stuff in diet soda. I'm yet to be convinced it's all good. Something that taste good, but got virtually no calories makes me sceptical.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you may be right.  I switched to Perrier which comes in Lemon or Lime flavors.  I haven't had a craving for diet Coke since.

Originally Posted by EastbayEd

I recently stopped drinking diet sodas a few months ago. But it wasn't the soda I was craving it was the carbonation especially with a meal. I switched to some variation of carbonated water (sparkling, soda water, etc...) You still have to be careful though, there are some carbonated water that use artificial sweetners. Crystal Geyser Sparkling Mineral water is good option. There are many flavors when you get them at Costco in bulk. When I'm at a restaurant I usually ask for soda water with a lemon wedge.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

I keep reading in this forum (sorry I forgot who said it) that you should drink water regularly for healthy diet/weight loss.

Anyway, I did some google research and it says your metabolism increase when you drink water--basically, to heat the water to body temperature.

So I started drinking water regularly and quit drinking diet Coke altogether.

My question to those who keep encouraging to drink water instead of diet sodas, does it really make a difference between diet soda and water?

Being a fireman and a guy who sprinted for eight years in school, I can tell you there's a huge difference between water and soda (even diet).  I'm also a track & field coach.  If you're looking for simple hydration go with water because it's clean.  Soda, even diet, has ingredients your body has to filter out.  It's not the best way to hydrate.  If you're playing for long periods of time (over 2 hours) drink some sports drink also.  Or, you can mix both sports drink and water.

Also, you're metabolism does increase when you intake anything that's not at body temperature.  So, drinking cold water does burn more calories than drinking room temperature water.  But, in reality the difference is very minimal.

Ogio Grom
Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0   |   Woods:
TaylorMade V Steel
Irons:
TaylorMade Burner 2.0 3-AW   |   Putter: TaylorMade Rossa

Thanks. Good to know. This following link says that it's more prevalent with caffeinated sodas though. Seems nothing is truly considered safe these days. Drinking anything in moderation is the key.

http://clivesimpkins.blogs.com/clive_simpkins/2010/03/harvard-med-school-on-carbonated-drinks-and-osteoporosis.html

Originally Posted by keb

Carbonated beverages will leach calcium from your body. Go with noncarbonated beverage.

Thanks for the information.  That helps a lot!

Originally Posted by Hankster

Being a fireman and a guy who sprinted for eight years in school, I can tell you there's a huge difference between water and soda (even diet).  I'm also a track & field coach.  If you're looking for simple hydration go with water because it's clean.  Soda, even diet, has ingredients your body has to filter out.  It's not the best way to hydrate.  If you're playing for long periods of time (over 2 hours) drink some sports drink also.  Or, you can mix both sports drink and water.

Also, you're metabolism does increase when you intake anything that's not at body temperature.  So, drinking cold water does burn more calories than drinking room temperature water.  But, in reality the difference is very minimal.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by saevel25

Some studies have shown that diet soda, specifically artificial sweeteners can inhibit weight loss. My rule of thumb, just don't drink anything but water. I do that 90% of the time, other times i go for ice-teas, or lemonades. But i make sure that the ingredient list is a short one.

This^^^^^

The War Sticks:

Driver: Adams Speedline F11 9.5* w/ Aldila Voodoo stiff flex shaft

3Wood: Adams Speedline Fast 10 15*

Hybrid: Ping G10 22* 

Irons:Mizuno MP32's 3-PW (bought used for $189)

Wedges: Cleveland CG14 52*, 56*

Putter: An old Ram Laser...lol...but it works

Ball: Srixon Q-star

Originally Posted by Hankster

I'd be interested in your take on Nuun drinks. I for one take a bottle of plain, room-temperature water out on the course with me with a single Nuun tab in it. Whether it's solely mental or not I have no idea but I always finish my round feeling fresh and not parched like I used to when I drank solely Coke or water.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

From what I have read with everything that is in diet sodas, they are pretty much as bad or worse than regular drinks.  Water is for sure better for losing weight.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Note: This thread is 4626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!