IGNORED

What Is Appropriate Golf Attire?

icourtnage
Note: This thread is 6098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I can buy 3 pairs of jeans for that $40. Or 1 pair of jeans and play a round of golf. If I'm a wage earner trying to raise a family and the option is wear jeans or don't play, then I'll wear jeans. Now I happen to be retired, and on a tight budget. Even if the course was open right now, I'm not sure how much I could afford to play. Heck, for women, jeans have long been considered acceptable where men have to wear a jacket and tie. I see nothing wrong with wearing them for an outdoor recreational sport. They darn sure look better and more conservative than some of the ridiculous (and thoroughly ugly) things that ARE considered proper attire on the golf course.

As a lifetime craftsman and wage earner, I just have a different attitude toward what is proper dress. I've spent most of my adult life wearing jeans for work, and jeans for play in the colder seasons. I even wore jeans for skiing back in the day. Right now I'm sitting at the computer wearing them. They are clean, in good repair, and look just fine. Guess we just agree to disagree...

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

i wear slacks or shorts (it gets ridiculously hot here in Miami even in the winter) and ALWAYS a polo. Thats just my preferance. But I could really care less what anyone else is wearing. i am there to play, get better, and have a good time. The last thing on my mind is policing what anyone is wearing. you wear what you want, your perogative.
House rules must be followed however.
On that note, i think courses should make bikini tops and g-strings mandatory wear for all hot women.

In My Callaway Golf Bag:

Driver: BB 454 8* Aldila nv65s
Fairway Wood: 3&5 Sport Stiff
Hybrid: Nicklaus 21* Himax4- PW: GT2 Tightlies StiffSW: 588 GunLW: 588 GunPutter: OZ T100Bite Men's Golf AC II Golf Shoe Top Flite ballGrey Goose Mini's

So, I was just thinking of the first time I went to a driving range. My views of attire had been shaped, perhaps unfairly, by some fictional characters from my roommate's XBox version of Tiger Woods 2004 . And I was the type to dress oddly, so I had a brimmed straw hat with a rope that keeps under my chin, and small sunglasses with the string to keep 'em on my head.

Just remembering how hard it was to keep my head down and concentrate...

I guess it's on topic, as a list of inappropriate attire, not due to how it looks, but just how bad an idea it is.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

My home course allows jeans, but most of the membership dresses in slacks. You see a lot more jeans in winter when the weather is sloppy and muddy. As long as the jeans are not worn or torn, my opinion is that they can be just as appropriate as slacks. I actually owned a pair of pleated denim slacks that looked just as nice as my khakis I thought.

I don't think cut-offs, tank tops, etc are appropriate, but I am not sure that jeans or jeans shorts are a total social faux pas.

Roy McEvoy is my hero.

In My bag
TM Burner 9.5 S Flex

Wilson Invex Strong 3 and 5 wood

Maxfli Revolution 3-PW Irons

Cleveland 54/60 wedges

Odessey XG #7 Putter

I know this is a little late reply and all. But I think for Semi-Private and Private courses it is inappropriate to wear Jeans, Denim etc. Slacks and classy pants only. I am 14 and i love how golf is a classy game. Where i golf slacks and polos are required in order to play. if you dont have those you are not allowed to play. Public courses you can wear whatever you want.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I'm usually a muni player and so I don't get very excited over proper dress. As long as the golfers are respectful, move along and follow the rules it's fine with me. Personally, I wouldn't wear normal blue jeans because they're not real handy around the course. My favorite golf pants (and shorts, for that matter) are Cartthart work pants - they fit loose and you can move freely, and the ruler pocket is perfect for fitting in a sleeve of balls. I think they look pretty good, and they come in 2 or 3 different colors. I tend to dress like I would if i were going out on a hike (weather dependent of course). I do always wear a collared shirt, however and golf shoes.

For the few times I play a private club, I'll wear the uniform. I don't like being underdressed but even the private clubs in northern New England, in my experience, don't get real fussed about dress.

I'm also perfectly fine with women dressing to please on the course. On a nice day, shorts or skirts and belly shirts are a perfect complement to the beauty of a golf course.

In my bag:

Driver: Wishon 915CFE, 420cc, SK Fiber Lite Revolution I
Irons: Tommy Armour 845 FS - PW - 3
Hybrid: Adams Idea 21 deg.Wedges: Cleveland 900 52 deg., 56 deg. TA588 60 deg.Putter: Generic mallet style

• 6 months later...
No jeans on a golf course for me. Don't really care if others do it but I just don't find them very comfortable and never wear jeans that often anyway.

Usually comfortable kacky shorts or pants, casual ones that I would normally wear anywhere else. Collared shirt always, nothing special, just your run of the mill shirt usually.

Once in a while I play a private club and usually try to wear a halfway decent shirt and keep everything tucked in. I'm playing as a guest of someone so I try not to look like a slob.

For answers to all of those nagging fashion questions, check out this week's "Thrash Talk" on the main site. Happy reading!!

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

you can never go wrong w a polo shirt and slacks and still look sharp for any other activite later on

Titleist 905R 10.5* w/ Avix Tour Red 69(X)
Titleist 906F4 13.5* w/ Aldila VS Proto 80(S)
Titleist 585H 17 deg w/ S300
Titleist 690.mb w/ S300
Vokey SM 56 degVokey SM 60 degSCOTTY CAMERON STUDIO STAINLESS NEWPORT 2

i'm a fan of throwbacks...there used to be a time when everyone was expected to wear a jacket and ties, and then there was the golf course. honestly i think less is expected of us. what happened to plus 4's and ties. golf clothes used to be stylish (harry vardon was known as the stylist), and now they're kinda boring; at least in the states.

i agree that it is up to the course to enact and enforce their own rules, but it is up to the player to check those rules beforehand. i really wish more courses would enforce their own rules. they could make twice the money by selling collared golf shirts

dmz

In My Bag:
Driver: 975J, 9.5, Grafalloy ProLite 3.5+ (tipped)
3 wood:
F-50, 15, True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 Irons: TA3 Form Forged, True Temper Dynamic Gold, 3-PW Wedges: Tour Action REG. 588, 51 & 60 RTG, 56 Chrome Putter: Studio Style, Newport 1.5 Ball: ProV1*

My grandpa taught me to always wear a collared shirt to the golf course. So, I always do - it just doesn't seem right not to, but that's my opinion. I personally wouldn't ever wear jeans, but as long as you are adhering to a courses policies I don't care what you wear. I agree with what others have posted - I care more about other players following proper course etiquette than what they are wearing. Although I guess you could consider dress being part of that etiquette.

Bag: Grom
Driver: HiBore 10.5° Fuji Stiff
3W: V-Steel 15° Graphite Designs YS-6 Stiff
3h-4h: Bobby Jones Stiff
5i-PW: CG4 Steel StiffWedges: 588 DSG RTG 52°, 900 RTG 56° Low bounce, Reg. 588 RTG 60°Putter: Dead CenterBalls: Pro V1 Speed Cart V1Home Courses: Riverdale Dunes / Knolls,...

you can never go wrong w a polo shirt and slacks and still look sharp for any other activite later on

I totally agree, but when it's hot out you may want to change the shirt.....and possibility the undies as well......

yeah, I wear my golf clothes everywhere I go now, its much like my school uniform so I'm comfortable wearing collared shirts all the time. You don't see many people wearing golf hats around town but when I do see someone wearing one, i have a sense that they are a little more intelligent than the average person around here.

Usually use NXT Extreme's or HX Hot's
Soon to be Home Track : Grey Silo GC (71.5 / 128)

What do you guys think of wearing compression shirts like Tiger Woods wears on the course? technically, without a collar, but often courses will allow you to wear anything they sell in the pro shop.

What's in the bag:

Driver: Adams 9064LS (project RIP Shaft) 9.5 degree
3 Wood: Titleist 909R 14.5 degree
Hybrid 3-iron: 19 degree Tour Professional (bent to 18 degrees)Hybrid 4-iron: 21 degree Tour ProfessionalIrons: Tour X-20 5-PW Project X 6.0 shaftsGap Wedge: Mizuno MP10 52.08 Sand Wedge: Mizuno MP10 58.10 Lob Wedge: Nike 62.06

i'll never have denim on if i'm swingin a golf club.. unless i'm playing minigolf and happen to be wearing jeans. at the range i'll always have shorts on. playing a round its always khakis, khaki shorts/cargo shorts, golf shirt.

In my stand Bag:

R7 Superquad 10.5* Fujikura REAX 65-S
Hi-Bore XLS 19* Hybrid Dynamic Gold S300
MP-60 4 thru PW Dynamic Gold S300 .588 REG 54* SW Vokey 58* LWSTX Greeny IV putter

I saw a guy playing in jeans and WORKBOOTS the other day at a muni. OK, so I'm sure he just got off work and wanted to grab a quick 18. To me, it just doesn't fit. I think it shows a lack of respect for the game.

Long "cargo shorts"
Anything camouflage pattern (yeah I know some redneck pro was wearing this a few weeks back)
Tennis shoes, or other non-golf shoes
Jeans & Jean shorts

They should all be banned from the course.

Note: This thread is 6098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!