IGNORED

new grip

LifeIsRuf
Note: This thread is 6275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had the Golf Pride New Decade grips put on my driver and fairway metals / hybrid. I had no idea what a difference it would make with club control. I didn't lose one drive right for a whole round. Could this be coincidence or have any of you guys experienced the same thing? I'm getting my irons regripped with the New Decades this weekend.

My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

I had the Golf Pride New Decade grips put on my driver and fairway metals / hybrid. I had no idea what a difference it would make with club control. I didn't lose one drive right for a whole round. Could this be coincidence or have any of you guys experienced the same thing? I'm getting my irons regripped with the New Decades this weekend.

I dunno, I've never regripped. I'm just saying this so I can hope others will respond to yours, as now I want the information. I bought my irons about a year ago, and I've never regripped them, but maybe I should. How would I know when they need regripping?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, one thing for sure when you need re-gripping is if your grip is torn or somehow your dog chewed on it. Another thing is actually when you feel your grip is not so solid as it used to be. What I'm saying is if the grip doesn't offer you the traction you once had. But it depends on where you live though. If it's wet or humid like down here, New Decade Multicompound is one of the best for that condition due to the roughness of its surface. If you like soft feel you may want to opt for full rubber grips like the new DD2. But, don't let me bore you, just go to Golf Pride's website's Grip Selector option and choose what's best for you. Good luck!

P.S: I read somewhere that 1 year is about time for new grips.

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

I agree - the general rule of thumb is regrip once a season. That being said, I've seen people playing well with grips that were as slick as glass - no traction, but it works for them.

I also use the Multicompound grip - works well for me -- good grip with outstanding traction. Any new club I now get, I get it regripped straight away...

WITB: Driver: Titleist 910 D2 10.5 R / 5 Wood: r7 ti / Irons: Ping G15 Steel R (3-P, U), / Wedges: Vokey SM4 56/11 SM4 60/07 / Putter: Scotty GoLo 33" / Ball: Titleist Velocity / Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 4.0 / GPS: SG3

Yes, I knew it was time when I toed my driver and I could feel the club slip in my hands. I've been playing in the early mornings more often this season and its been a little more moist than my usual playing conditions. So far the New Decade is the best grip I've played. I love the traction of the cord on my glove hand and my "non-glove" hand doesn't get torn up like it used to.
My Bag

Taylor Made: R580XD, Graffaloy Prototype Comp NT X
Callaway: Hawkeye VFT Pro 13*, Fujikura Vista Pro 70 S
Taylor Made: Rescue Mid TP 16*, Fujikura Vista Pro 90 STop Flite: Tour Grind 3-P, Rifle 5.0Cleveland: CG10 Black Pearl 54*Cleveland: Reg. 485 60*Heavy Putter: B1 malletT...

I always regrip in spring. Some clubs that I practice with and use more often i.e. Driver and wedges, get regripped twice or even three times a year. As far as slick grips working for some people, I certainly don't know how. I watched a program on the golf channel about some high priced golf academy, Haney, ledbetter, someone, and the very first thing they do when the students arrive for the first day is check their grips and replace them if needed. The instructor said about 80% of the people show up with grips that need replacing. Regripping your clubs is a really simple and inexpensive way to improve your game. The easy way is to just order the grips online at a discount and do it yourself.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

The easy way is to just order the grips online at a discount and do it yourself.

How much does it really cost at a store, where I can more or less guarantee that it's done right? I think Roger Dunn charged me $2 or $3 once for one-club regripping...

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

i regripped last summer for the first time in 6 years. the only reason i changed them was because i wanted to try something new. they were not glazed over and slick, if they were then i would have changed them sooner. the crossline grip on my driver has been on it for 5 years and it is fine. i will say that the grips are easier to remove if they are not that old. otherwise, i let them ride.

in the bag:
driver-titleist D2 10.5* w/aldila nv shaft
3-adams speedline fast 10 w/aldila shaft
hybrid-titleist 585 17* w/aldila shaft
irons-titleist 735cm w/ttdg s-300 shafts

wedges-cleveland 588, 53* and 60* w/ttdg shafts

putter-scotty circa 62 #1, gun metal finish

ball-pro v1

shoe-dryjoys

Any time you switch grips, you will notice a difference the first couple rounds.

I also use New Decade grips and I'm in love with them, I'm getting the new black/green colorway to match my schools colors. The new colorways also include orange/black, blue/black, and a midsize red/black which they didn't have last year.

Driver: Speed Pro D 9.5*

3 Wood: 904F4 15.5*

Hybrid: 585.H 19*Irons: MP-32 4-PWWedges: 52* CG12 DSG 58* CG12 DSG 64* CG12 DSGPutter: custom Studio Select Newport 2 Mid-SlantBall: Pro V1x

Any time you switch grips, you will notice a difference the first couple rounds.

Any good grip label have blue and gold grips? Both my ugrad and grad schools are those colors.

-- Michael | My swing! 

I was pretty accustomed to Golf Pride Tour Velvet Cord but recently bought some Mizuno MP-67's which come stock with stand Tour Velvets. I'm kind of surprised because I don't mind them. Now I've picked up several clubs and was thinking "what the hell is OEM thinking putting these grips on these clubs." I like the feel of just the standard Tour Velvets at the moment, we'll see what happens though this summer when its going to be hot and humid, I may have to change to cord again if I'm slipping.

As far as changing grips, I enjoy doing it myself and its so incredibly easily to do I will never pay someone else to do it ever again. I just need to get one of those tape strippers, thats the only thing that took considerable time using a utility knife, if I would've done that I could taken a few swipes per club and all the tape would've been gone.

I refuse to play with grips that are worn anymore, no way, no how. The feeling of slipping makes me choke down to get a better hold and do too many things that have negative effects on my swing.

BTW, the multi decades are nice, I just wish they would come out with an all black....I'm not into the colors.

905R 9.5˚ - UST Proforce V2
904F 15˚ - YS-6
695cb 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300
Vokey SM54.14 and SM60.08
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro V1x / Pro V1Cyberbilt

Any good grip label have blue and gold grips? Both my ugrad and grad schools are those colors.

I haven't seen one with blue and gold color, but I'm sure they'd look pimp

Are you a Bruin?
BTW, the multi decades are nice, I just wish they would come out with an all black....I'm not into the colors.

Word. But not all black though, because it would look dull (Tour Velvet). Dual Durometer looks nice, not too bright with simple definition of color. Too bad it's not that popular. Anyhow, is anyone here using Dual Durometer? How would you rate it against New Decade? Any inputs would be appreciated (I'm thinking of getting one of them soon and I just can't decide).

What's in the bag:
Driver: r7 SuperQuad 10.5° ~ UST Proforce V2 65g Regular
Wood: 906F4 18.5° ~ Aldila VS Proto 80g Stiff
Irons: MP-60 3-PW ~ True Temper Tour Concept S3
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 252.08, SM56.10 & SM60.08Putter: Marxman Mallet 33"

Your grips will last much longer and feel better during the process if you clean them regularly. I play a LOT more golf than most of you would and my grips will last me 2 or 3 years easily. I too really dislike hard or slippery grips, I like that nice tacky feel so that's why I do my best to keep them clean.

All you need to do to clean your grips is put a bit of dishwashing liquid in the sink or in a bucket and then dip the grip in and give it a good scrub with a scrubbing brush. When you think it's clean scrub a bit more and then rinse of any soap under hot running water and then wipe it dry with a towel. Then and this is important, leave your club outside of the bag for a few hours to airdry properly.

Do this every couple of weeks and your grips will last a lot longer and will feel and perform a lot better. The more often you do it the better they actually feel.

It's easy and quick to notice new grips, it's the only part of the club you actually touch :)

Here's one thread covering Washing Grips and another covering Cleaning Clubs

I'm like NM, I replace wedges and others 3-4 times a year. Other clubs like irons and fairway woods I replace about 2-3 times a year. I personally like the feel of brand new grips.

I personally like the feel of brand new grips.

I don't! I like them after they have been in use for a few months and have been cleaned a few times. Everyone's different I guess.

I also like to use well used looking clubs (irons - wedges), I hate it when I get a new set of irons and they look all shiny and new. I like them after a year or so when I have bag dings all over them and wear spots in the middle of the mid to short irons etc. I guess it must make me feel as if I have been working hard on my game to get them looking that way. Mind you I keep my clubs spotlessly clean, no matter how beat up looking they eventually get. Woods on the other hand I like to keep looking as close to brand new as I can so I am careful and use headcovers etc.

I haven't seen one with blue and gold color, but I'm sure they'd look pimp

Absolutely! I'm in my second year here, after spending some time at UC Irvine down the road a bit. You can tell by looking at my golf bag too: the driver has an anteater and the highest non-driver wood I'm carrying (usually 3W) has the Bruin Bear.

-- Michael | My swing! 

I make sure I clean the club heads and grips before (I don't have the time right after a round) a round. the grips get some tack back. Also the decade Multi compounds do seem to wear a bit faster than the tour velvets, SO they may nee to get changed more often.

Drew

Your grips will last much longer and feel better during the process if you clean them regularly. I play a LOT more golf than most of you would and my grips will last me 2 or 3 years easily. I too really dislike hard or slippery grips, I like that nice tacky feel so that's why I do my best to keep them clean.

Umm how would cleaning your grips make them last longer? Grips get slick because of age and use, and I don't see how cleaning them would prevent either? Cleaning them does help keep them somewhat tacky but after a certain amount of use all the cleaning in the world aint going to help. I play 150+ rounds a year and hit balls at least 5 times a week year round and I HAVE to replace grips on certain clubs multiple times a year.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Note: This thread is 6275 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!