IGNORED

Anyone Watch Dalton McCrary's How to Hit the Golf Ball as Straight as You Can Point?

Note: This thread is 1510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The basics are: Dalton believes that hitting the ball straight is not the hardest shot in golf. If the club head is square and traveling straight down the line to the target the ball will go straight.

He shows you how to increase the 'zone of squareness' The basic moves are that the swing is initiated by the club moving straight back to what DM calls the 'one' position (which varies from player to player depending on your own physical ability) you then move up to the top of the backswing which DM explains how to find your personal top position. The club returns down through your 'one' position where the head should be square again, through impact and along the target line.

Sorry not how it happens, like Phil said here

Originally Posted by Phil McGleno

And Iron Byron swings the club on an arc-it is not "down the target line" at all except for one instant on the arc.

A straight shot at the target is a very very tough shot to hit.  Remember the angle of attack also factors into the resultant path.  The best players in the world don't hit it straight and they sure don't have square club faces at impact.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Okay, no meat from anyone - most notably Dalton, to whom I personally posed a very simple and direct question - and I'm now locking this thread.

PM me if you have any reason to re-open it, but given the incredible lack of meat, and the many opportunities to add said meat, I'm now done.

Shill elsewhere, Dalton acolytes.

P.S. Thank you, straightshooter, for the meat that you did provide. I may change my mind on the above, because you did provide some substance which can be debated and discussed, but I'm not certain that you want that, and as Dalton can't even answer some basic and direct questions, it seems highly unlikely that he would participate.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 5 years later...

Some years have passed but I just got the Dalton VHS tapes and after review...I understand what he is saying and it does work with a little practice. The length of time the clubface remains square to the target reminds me of Moe Norman's clubhead path....just say'in

"

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario
:tmade:

20 hours ago, canadianpro said:

I understand what he is saying and it does work

What works? And please define ‘works.’ I’ve hit thousands of shots doing thousands of different things. None to which brought me to the level of golf I want or would be considered ‘impressive.’ Going to a range and ‘thinking’ you’re doing whatever he suggested and hitting some good shots does not mean something ‘works.’ I’ve done the Happy Gilmore swing before and striped  it. It doesn’t mean ‘it works.’ Don’t mean to bust your balls...just want to keep things real.

Edited by Vinsk

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

The point is if you understand the concept and YOU can put it into practice, his theory works...not for everyone but it can produce consistent straight shots for those who can manage the move. 

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario

• Administrator
21 hours ago, canadianpro said:

The length of time the clubface remains square to the target

Peter, you know as well as anyone (I'd hope) that the clubhead doesn't stay square to the target. You'd have to be counter-rolling your hands on the downswing, literally opening the face at the same rate the angled plane on which we're swinging and the body's rotation (etc.) is closing the face.

The face doesn't stay "square to the target."

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Is the face close to being square to the intended line 2 inches before impact? Does a more vertical angled plane allow the face to remain “squarer”? Is deChambeau’s clubface square to the line after impact?

just provoking

PB
Canadian PGA Life Member
Peter Boyce Golf Academy
Strathroy, Ontario

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, canadianpro said:

Is the face close to being square to the intended line 2 inches before impact?

Depends on your definition of "close."

Does a more vertical angled plane allow the face to remain “squarer”?

Theoeretically, but good luck swinging on a significantly more vertical plane.

Is deChambeau’s clubface square to the line after impact?

No.

Maybe if he toes it a little.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read this thread thinking I'd eventually get something out of it. I think you had the right idea a long time ago @iacas in locking it. Wow.

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6

• 11 months later...
  • iacas changed the title to Anyone Watch Dalton McCrary's How to Hit the Golf Ball as Straight as You Can Point?
Note: This thread is 1510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!