IGNORED

Who puts the pin back?

camper6
Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I suppose it could be considered rushing your fellow putters, however I've never felt rushed when someone picks up the flag. I always take every putt one at a time and ignore everything around me. Don't be distracted about people wanting to move onto the next hole. Take your time, go through your routine, and play your putt for par at your pace.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

After the first person finishes putting,  they should get the pin and be respectful of others still putting in my opinion.  Getting the pin first doesn't mean walking on others' putting lines or making annoying gestures.  I guess I look at it as an easy way to shave 9 minutes (as someone suggested) off a round without much effort.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane iMix 11.5*
Fairway: Cobra Baffler Rail F 3W & 7W
Irons:  Wilson Ci
Wedges:  Acer XB (52* & 56*)
Putter:  Cleveland Classic #10 with Winn Jumbo Pistol Grip

Originally Posted by Precis1on

I suppose it could be considered rushing your fellow putters, however I've never felt rushed when someone picks up the flag. I always take every putt one at a time and ignore everything around me. Don't be distracted about people wanting to move onto the next hole. Take your time, go through your routine, and play your putt for par at your pace.

the only time I've felt rushed by it is when someone starts walking towards the hole with it as I'm about to putt or they are two feet away from the hole waiting on me to putt so they can stick the flag in.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

Originally Posted by Paradox

the only time I've felt rushed by it is when someone starts walking towards the hole with it as I'm about to putt or they are two feet away from the hole waiting on me to putt so they can stick the flag in.

I don't like it either when someone hovers with the flagstick. It's rare that it's a mistake.  Gamesmanship takes many forms.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by deasy55

You don't consider shaving 9 minutes off a round a time saver? Dear god....

Oh wait....(I just noticed who the poster was)

I have words for you but I won't say them.

And 9 minutes off of a round a time saver, I don't really consider that to be a huge amount.  Now that I think of it 15 seconds sounds more like what It would save per hole, so now we are talking 4.5 minutes.  Which isn't even half a hole ahead for most groups.  Cripes going to the bathroom during your round could take more time than that.

I'm sure most of this forum have words for you but won't say them

Originally Posted by trackster

I have words for you but I won't say them.

And 9 minutes off of a round a time saver, I don't really consider that to be a huge amount.  Now that I think of it 15 seconds sounds more like what It would save per hole, so now we are talking 4.5 minutes.  Which isn't even half a hole ahead for most groups.  Cripes going to the bathroom during your round could take more time than that.

I'm sure most of this forum have words for you but won't say them

Well you are contributing a ton to this discussion keep it up.

In most cases I don't think the pin is that big of a deal, if every one is within 10 to 20 feet then the pin is usually just a step or 2 away if placed properly.  Who's ever closest pick it up (after every one is done putting, I still don't like that standing close to the cup ready to put  the pin in as soon as i hole out) and move on to the next hole.

I already did contribute. I said that it doesn't make much sense for the last person putting out to put in the flag. Somebody should be ready to pick it up or else have it in their hands before the hole is finished if at all possible. It's just respectful to the group behind if nothing else (I would also consider it a nuisance for the player actually putting last to then get the flag since they then have to basically run to catch up with the rest of the group). I also don't see how somebody holding a flag 20 feet away from you can put a person off. Do you get put off if someones tending the flag too?

Originally Posted by trackster

Well you are contributing a ton to this discussion keep it up.

In most cases I don't think the pin is that big of a deal, if every one is within 10 to 20 feet then the pin is usually just a step or 2 away if placed properly.  Who's ever closest pick it up (after every one is done putting, I still don't like that standing close to the cup ready to put  the pin in as soon as i hole out) and move on to the next hole.

I already did contribute. I said that it doesn't make much sense for the last person putting out to put in the flag. Somebody should be ready to pick it up or else have it in their hands before the hole is finished if at all possible. It's just respectful to the group behind if nothing else (I would also consider it a nuisance for the player actually putting last to then get the flag since they then have to basically run to catch up with the rest of the group). I also don't see how somebody holding a flag 20 feet away from you can put a person off. Do you get put off if someones tending the flag too?

Actually I do, If some one is tending the flag I'll tell them to please pull it for me I don't want it in.  And I'm talking about a golfer who will hover over the pin with the flagstick, not some one standing 20 feet away.

I would say most of the time first one in, but could be who is closer, but should never be the last to putt.

When your group appraoaches the green, would it be appropriate for the one furtherest away to pull the pin? Heck no. The one away needs to be lining up their putt. Speeds up play.

Originally Posted by jclifton

I would say most of the time first one in, but could be who is closer, but should never be the last to putt.

When your group appraoaches the green, would it be appropriate for the one furtherest away to pull the pin? Heck no. The one away needs to be lining up their putt. Speeds up play.

Having the last to hole out replace the flag could be faster if they're going to be the last one to tee off. If the other guys start to migrate toward the next hole as they're done putting, and begin teeing off as soon as they get there, then surely a round would be faster.  Seriously though, I think having the first to hole out ready with the flagstick serves only one pupose. It gives the guys waiting in the fairway the illusion that the group on the green is doing all it can to speed up play, regardless of what the reality is.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Since I have often putted out while my friends are chipping up, I will hold onto the pin once everyone is on the green. (someone has to keep the pace going)

But over the course of the round, no one thinks about whose *job* it is - whoever is closest takes care of it, just like the first guy walking off the greens picks up his playing partners clubs.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's exactly it. There is no hard and fast rule from what I read.  And there are some good points made.  However usually in my group they are already heading for the next tee. We don't use the honor system for teeing off because some golfers are shorter than others off the tee and they go first.   That does speed things up .

Originally Posted by meenman

Since I have often putted out while my friends are chipping up, I will hold onto the pin once everyone is on the green. (someone has to keep the pace going)

But over the course of the round, no one thinks about whose *job* it is - whoever is closest takes care of it, just like the first guy walking off the greens picks up his playing partners clubs.

That's an entirely different can of worms. I don't care for other people getting in the habit of picking up my clubs. I leave them in line with the hole and my golf bag and can get them myself thank you.

• Administrator

My rule: first in, unless he's gotta do things like collect his wedge or get to the restroom or whatever else. Basically, the rule I follow is this: "whoever can get it the fastest."

Never really had a problem with it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I don't like it either when someone hovers with the flagstick. It's rare that it's a mistake.  Gamesmanship takes many forms.

Wait. If you want to talk gamesmanship then you pick up the pin when it's windy and let  the flag flap all over the place while your opponent is putting.   So now tell the guy to put it down?

It depends. If the flag is laying on the other side of the hole from where I putted AND on the opposite side as my bag, I let the next guy grab it so I don't walk through someone's line or have to walk all the way around the outside of the green while people are putting. However, if I pulled it I'm usually the one to put it back.

My Equipment:
Driver: 9.5* R9, 73g Fubuki stiff | 3wood: 15* R9 3 Wood, x-stiff shaft | Hybrid: 19* Lynx Hybrid, reg. flex | Irons: MP-68s (4i-PW), 5.5x flighted |
Wedges: 52.08*, 56.11*, & 60.07 Vokey Spin-Milled | Putter: Pixl L1.8, 33.5" | Balls: Pro V1x |

well eitquette would dictate the person picking the stick up would hold the flag against the stick to stop said flapping, the person who lets it flap about is an ass and probably has further etiquette issues throughout his game

Originally Posted by camper6

Wait. If you want to talk gamesmanship then you pick up the pin when it's windy and let  the flag flap all over the place while your opponent is putting.   So now tell the guy to put it down?

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Note: This thread is 4643 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!