IGNORED

Footballer picks Top Five golfers

The Recreational Golfer
Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today's (August 17) Pre-Snap Read, a college football site, has an Arbitrary Top Five List of something every day, rarely to do with football. Today's list is golfers:

1. Jack Nicklaus

2. Tiger Woods

3. Bobby Jones

4. Ben Hogan

5. Arnold Palmer

No argument here.

http://www.presnapread.com/no-17-ohio-state/#more-25504

If I could make up my dream team of 5..  I would go with:

1) Jack Nicklaus

2) Sam Snead

3) Ben Hogan

4) Arnold Palmer

5) Tom Watson

Alt back-up, Walter Hagen

Of course my decision was based on years of play, character and more..  Being a great golfer is more then just shooting a number.. IMO

• Administrator

Originally Posted by ThominOH

Being a great golfer is more then just shooting a number.. IMO

Yeah... Tiger's in the top five, period. The list ranks golfers, not "human beings." Tom Watson stole another dude's wife. Arnie cheated on Winnie all over the place. The heroes of yester-year weren't all spotless either, and you should be glad the Internet didn't exist then or you'd be well aware of that fact.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Tom,

While you're certainly entitled to your opinion, there's one problem - the title of the list is of the top five golfers, not the top five charachters, or a judge of longevity. Scores and ultimately champioships matter, not humanitarian awards. For all we know, Harrison Frazar (#122 in the world) might be a loyal husband/father who attends church and work at a soup kitchen Mondy thru Wednesday. That would make him likely a player of higher moral standards than everyone else above him in the OWGR, but compared to his competion, he kinda stinks (even though he'd obviously kick my butt ). Sorry dude, in this case, the numbers do matter.

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

WOW.. you leave Tiger's name off the list and the fanboys go nuts..  geeesh..   I'll stick with my dream team.. Those players IN their prime I'd put against anyone else's and feel happy..  No need to get bent because I don't blindly follow the Tiger worship train..  Hell..  David Duval  and Vijay in their prime smacked Tiger around to be #1 in the world.. Problem they have was health issues.. I have my opinion and you have yours :)

We won't even discuss what benefits a Canadian doctor can do ..

• Administrator

WOW.. you leave Tiger's name off the list and the fanboys go nuts..  geeesh..   I'll stick with my dream team.. Those players IN their prime I'd put against anyone else's and feel happy..  No need to get bent because I don't blindly follow the Tiger worship train..  Hell..  David Duval  and Vijay in their prime smacked Tiger around to be #1 in the world.. Problem they have was health issues.. I have my opinion and you have yours :)

Not a fanboy. Just couldn't care less about Tiger's personal life.

You seem content to ignore the personal lives of others not named Tiger. And that's fine, but don't go calling others "fanboys" unless you want to acknowledge that you're a haterboy.

Tiger playing well is good for golf. I don't like his personal issues but only because they've affected his pursuit of records and his ability to play good golf. I'm selfish that way. I just care about the golf.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Not a fanboy. Just couldn't care less about Tiger's personal life.

You seem content to ignore the personal lives of others not named Tiger. And that's fine, but don't go calling others "fanboys" unless you want to acknowledge that you're a haterboy.

Tiger playing well is good for golf. I don't like his personal issues but only because they've affected his pursuit of records and his ability to play good golf. I'm selfish that way. I just care about the golf.

I said nothing about personal lives.. I said there are other factors I use other then total numbers.. One could easily make the case that Bobby Jones in the short time he was in golf is the greatest ever.. But we'll never know..  The only good Tiger has done for golf is increase the TV ratings and purse winnings..  I'm sure you being a golf pro know the facts that there are more course closings and less rounds played the last 5 years then EVER..  Tiger has NOT brought more golfers onto the course.. Tiger is a good ambassador to TV sports golf and ratings, but he is not a good one for the general public golf industry..   In MY opinion..

Heck, I'm not even a personal fan of Arnie, but I give him credit where I think it's due.. I personally believe Seve in his prime would beat Tiger, just like Duval and Vijay did, but that is just an opinion for the fantasy league.. This thread is like naming your all time best college quarterbacks.. Opinions galore, none are right or wrong..

• Administrator

I said nothing about personal lives.. I said there are other factors I use other then total numbers..

You said character. Is cheating on your wife (Arnie) and stealing another man's wife (Watson) okay? Clearly it is since you listed them. So why not Tiger? His actual golf accomplishments dwarf Arnie's and Tom's.

Originally Posted by ThominOH

The only good Tiger has done for golf is increase the TV ratings and purse winnings..  I'm sure you being a golf pro know the facts that there are more course closings and less rounds played the last 5 years then EVER.. Tiger has NOT brought more golfers onto the course..

No, I'm sorry, but you're applying facts wrong. There's no doubt in the world that Tiger brought people to the game. Without Tiger, more courses would have closed and even less rounds will have been played.

In other words, let's say Tiger added 2 million golfers but other circumstances (economy, pace of play, cost, changing roles of fathers, extended work weeks, etc.) remove 2.5 million golfers, then we'll see a net loss of 0.5 million that would be nowhere near as big as the net loss we'd see (2.5M) without Tiger.

Originally Posted by ThominOH

Heck, I'm not even a personal fan of Arnie, but I give him credit where I think it's due.. I personally believe Seve in his prime would beat Tiger, just like Duval and Vijay did, but that is just an opinion for the fantasy league.. This thread is like naming your all time best college quarterbacks.. Opinions galore, none are right or wrong..

First off, Duval and Vijay beat out Tiger while he was making swing changes. And neither could sustain it. Simple truth is Tiger's been #1 in the world far longer than any of the players you've listed.

You can have your opinions, but when you start disparaging others with your "fanboy" remarks while talking about character despite having a flawed list, you're gonna get called out on it. Your reasoning is suspect.

Maybe Thomin doesn't like Tiger because he's not white.

I don't have a problem with this top five list. My own, in no order:

Moe

Lee

Tiger

Jack

Bobby

Moe and Lee are on there for their ballstriking, not because they had any particular success.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

1) Less rounds played in the last 5 years than ever? Do you have any proof of this? I certainly don't believe there is less golf played now than EVER. What about pre 1900?

2) Duval and Vijay beat Tiger while he was going through swing changes. They have won 4 majors between them, Tiger has 14. I don't see how you could even have that opinion considering Tiger was going through changes at those times.

And before you reply, I'm not a 'Tiger Fanboy'...I'm a realistic golf fan.

1) less rounds played the last 5 years then EVER..

2) I personally believe Seve in his prime would beat Tiger, just like Duval and Vijay did, but that is just an opinion for the fantasy league..

Quote:
I personally believe Seve in his prime would beat Tiger, just like Duval and Vijay did, but that is just an opinion for the fantasy league..

If you mean he was good enough to play better than Tiger for a relatively short period of time and thus rise to world #1 (while Tiger was slumping due to a swing change), sure. But that claim could be reasonably made about dozens of players in the history of golf - pretty much all the guys discussed in this thread, plus Els, Mickelson, Price, Norman, Faldo, Trevino, Miller, and bunch more. And every guy on your list was at least briefly surpassed by someone else during his career. So what? You're not suggesting Seve or Duval or Vijay was actually better than Tiger, are you?

I'd love to hear the "other factors" you used in determining that Tiger wasn't one of the top 5, because I've never seen a reasonable argument that put him lower than second.

• Upvote 1

You have to love immature fanboys that take things personal when people you don't praise their "OPINIONS"..   Now I have one poster saying I"m racist because Tiger isn't on my list..  OMG.. really dude?  I don't like Obama either..  However I think Dr J and Michale Jordon were great for basketball.. But I dislike LeBron James..... Figure that one out.....  BTW.. I wouldn't say LeBron is on my basketball dream team either..  I'm done with this post, and IF you administrator continue with your biases views I'll have to question your ability to be a true golf PROFESSIONAL..  :)

You're lucky I'm not the admin, because you'd be blocked for the constant calling of fellow posters 'fanboys' that have a different opinion to you

You have to love immature fanboys that take things personal when people you don't praise their "OPINIONS"..   Now I have one poster saying I"m racist because Tiger isn't on my list..  OMG.. really dude?  I don't like Obama either..  However I think Dr J and Michale Jordon were great for basketball.. But I dislike LeBron James..... Figure that one out.....  BTW.. I wouldn't say LeBron is on my basketball dream team either..  I'm done with this post, and IF you administrator continue with your biases views I'll have to question your ability to be a true golf PROFESSIONAL..  :)

Originally Posted by deasy55

You're lucky I'm not the admin, because you'd be blocked for the constant calling of fellow posters 'fanboys' that have a different opinion to you

But is ok to call someone a hater because they don't praise Tiger..  INTERESTING???  Plus.. I'm not attacking anyone for their option.. Ya'll are attacking ME because I have one different then yours.. WOW..

Well it's fairly obvious you have a thing against Tiger judging from your posts in this thread. You even said that Duval and Singh in their prime were better than Tiger It's impossible to have that as an opinion . It just doesn't make any sense.

I'll leave you at it though. I'm too busy watching the Czech Open to keep this conversation up.

Quote:

But is ok to call someone a hater because they don't praise Tiger..  INTERESTING???  Plus.. I'm not attacking anyone for their option.. Ya'll are attacking ME because I have one different then yours.. WOW..

Note: This thread is 4623 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!