IGNORED

Green Etiquette

boomsplash
Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Ok, then I'll put it this way: If someone is stressed out about me walking over to get a read after their putt is on its way, I really don't care.  It's accepted etiquette, it's unreasonable for anyone to be stressed by it, and we all can't be expected to go through life walking on eggshells for fear that performing a common, accepted practice might bother or offend someone, when no sane, rational person *would* be bothered or offended by it.  If they *are* that bothered by it, the onus is on them to tell me, in which case I will apologize and never do it again. Unless I'm putting for eagle.

I've played with a lot of people who are bothered by little things their playing partners do and say. Usually it's when paired with strangers and sharing a cart and on and around the greens. Often these pet peeves hadn't even crossed my mind, but I hesitate to call them insane because their quirks are different to me.

I was referring specifically to people who are waiting within peripheral vision range, ready to pounce on the line of putt the instant the putt is struck. If you can't visualize the behavior then perhaps you've been luck enough not to have some continually do it to you, or you're the one doing the pouncing. Like the guy holding the flagstick like a javelin waiting to ram the pin in immediately after the last putt is holed. Irritating for some and just routine practice for others.

There's no reason to imply that being irritated by someone or something makes them insane any more than having a complete disregard for how an irritating personality tic affects others makes one a sociopath.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I've played with a lot of people who are bothered by little things their playing partners do and say. Usually it's when paired with strangers and sharing a cart and on and around the greens. Often these pet peeves hadn't even crossed my mind, but I hesitate to call them insane because their quirks are different to me.

I was referring specifically to people who are waiting within peripheral vision range, ready to pounce on the line of putt the instant the putt is struck. If you can't visualize the behavior then perhaps you've been luck enough not to have some continually do it to you, or you're the one doing the pouncing. Like the guy holding the flagstick like a javelin waiting to ram the pin in immediately after the last putt is holed. Irritating for some and just routine practice for others.

There's no reason to imply that being irritated by someone or something makes them insane any more than having a complete disregard for how an irritating personality tic affects others makes one a sociopath.

Sean, isn't it at least *possible* that you are very easily bothered by things that very few other people are?

Bill

Sean, isn't it at least *possible* that you are very easily bothered by things that very few other people are?

Are you honestly telling me you've never had the misfortune of playing with the javelin flagstick putter backer guy? Maybe you are this guy? Is it possible you're offended at the thought that not every single person you'd chance to meet would be completetly enamored with all the cute little "competitive" things you also do during a round of golf?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Ok, then I'll put it this way: If someone is stressed out about me walking over to get a read after their putt is on its way, I really don't care.  It's accepted etiquette, it's unreasonable for anyone to be stressed by it, and we all can't be expected to go through life walking on eggshells for fear that performing a common, accepted practice might bother or offend someone, when no sane, rational person *would* be bothered or offended by it.  If they *are* that bothered by it, the onus is on them to tell me, in which case I will apologize and never do it again.

This is it.

Sean, you've since added the phrase "waiting in their peripheral vision" (or something like that) and, well, that's too close. I don't think for one second sacm3bill is saying you're in their peripheral vision. That's REALLY close, even for someone with GREAT peripheral vision.

Are you honestly telling me you've never had the misfortune of playing with the javelin flagstick putter backer guy? Maybe you are this guy? Is it possible you're offended at the thought that not every single person you'd chance to meet would be completetly enamored with all the cute little "competitive" things you also do during a round of golf?!?

C'mon... chill. Seriously, you're on the wrong end of this one... it's accepted that you can, from a safe distance far enough back, walk in on the line of a putt after it's struck. It's not "gamesmanship" or anything rude. And though it's against the rules of etiquette, I don't care if someone stands right on my line (not a partner, caddie, etc.) while I putt so long as I can't see them.

We choose to let things bother us in this world. I try not to let a lot of these types of things bother me.

P.S. If I've ever played with a javelin guy, I haven't noticed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

By the way, this isn't about me. MY comment was to and about a guy who had a stranger playing partner / opponent who was crouching about 3 feet behind him. When asked to move the guy moved about 1 foot. If that wouldn't bother you, then you're the kind of person I hope to be one day - but then I wonder why you have to chase me around this site responding to all my posts that are bothering you. It's somewhat contradictory.

That's all I got.

• Administrator

By the way, this isn't about me. MY comment was to and about a guy who had a stranger playing partner / opponent who was crouching about 3 feet behind him. When asked to move the guy moved about 1 foot. If that wouldn't bother you, then you're the kind of person I hope to be one day - but then I wonder why you have to chase me around this site responding to all my posts that are bothering you. It's somewhat contradictory.

Your comment wasn't about that, though. Your comments were about the Javelin guy or a guy waiting to walk into your line. That's the part I think sacm was responding to.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I can honestly say I've never meat javelin-flagstick guy. I also don't particularly mind stands-behind-the-line-of-my-putt guy, though I refrain form doing it myself. Short of doing gymnastics on my line, my last problem with putting is being distracted by other people. Hell, I distract myself more than other people distract me.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by iacas

Your comment wasn't about that, though. Your comments were about the Javelin guy or a guy waiting to walk into your line. That's the part I think sacm was responding to.

Actually yes, that's right. I was commenting on guys who wait until contact to run over and look at the line. The thing is people aren't typically very patient and they don't always wait until contact. When some jack*** moves on my backstroke it bothers me. I'm not as open and enlightened as you guys I suppose because I don't accept gamesmanship as a part of friendly competition any more than I'd laugh off a slew foot. But they do it because it works. Just like the old Ryder cup days when Seve would wiggle his toes (white saddle shoes) right before Curtis Strange would hit. Strange knew he was gonna do it, but it still bothered him.

Some days it's easier to block out. I played a match against a guy (last year's club champion) who'd wait until right before I hit to get his shadow right over my ball. After a couple holes it became part of my routine. Look at the line, wait for Justin's shadow, stroke the putt. I putted very well that day.

By the way, I may have the wrong track and field event - I'm actually referring to Pole Vault flagstick guy.

• Administrator

When some jack*** moves on my backstroke it bothers me.

Yeah. I've played a lot of golf, and often in competition against some pretty silly people. I still can't say that's ever happened to me.

If someone's too close - it's happened occasionally (not on purpose) on tee boxes or whatnot - I'll say something before I make the stroke. Even that's rare though.

Albeit off-topic: [quote name="iacas" url="/t/52883/green-etiquette#post_644314"]

Though I disagree with this (I'm in a small minority), I think the common understanding is that since a "scramble" isn't really golf anyway - it's not a recognized form of play - the rules about standing on the line of your partner don't really apply.

As others said it's an etiquette thing, and it's even in the Etiquette section of the Rules of Golf:

[/quote] I've always thought of teammates in a scramble as being, as far as the rules are concerned, pretty much the same person. I mean, they all hit the same shot, take the same penalties, etc, and like you said it isn't an officially condoned golf match style. If they're pretty much the same person, I'd agree that they can read each other's breaks however they like.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by iacas

Yep.

Sean, I don't follow you around. If I see a post that warrants responding, I respond to it.

Bill

Originally Posted by djackson89

I picked up a single with our 3 some the other day and he did this to the extreme. He would literally stand or even crouch 2-3 behind me if I was putting and he was trying to read. I kid you not if I were to take my putter back like a real swing it would have hit him. I didn't really know the guy so I didn't say much other than "little close man" and he back up about a foot. It really bothered me, nice to know there's actually a rule against it...I usually do the off to the side walk in behind after they hit it movement.

I'd have told him in no uncertain terms to move away.  I don't have to putt with him there  and I can stand there all day until he removes himself.  I'd give a short, fast course in etiquette.  If he wants to  stand well out of sight behind me and back of the ball, then move to the line AFTER the ball has been struck, I have no issue with it.  The pros do it, and I've done it when I had trouble getting a good read on a green, especially to see the break right at the hole.  But I make sure that I'm standing still and out of sight when the ball is struck.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 4632 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!