IGNORED

FedExCup = A Waste of 10 Million Dollars

AmazingWhacker
Note: This thread is 4604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello Erik, sure it's my opinion! ;) Actually FedEx is not boring, it's just that it's really like any other regular event... nothing special!

Except that $10 million bonus. If that's what it takes to make post-PGA golf exciting, I'll take it. Without the FedExCup, The BMW would look a lot more like the Children's Miracle Network.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hello Jamo, sure, even the richest guy would love to get $10m but this is not my point, 10m amuse players, not the spectators, that's why I think is boring, is only about the money!

At least a match play formula would be less sleepy imho...

Originally Posted by jamo

Except that $10 million bonus. If that's what it takes to make post-PGA golf exciting, I'll take it. Without the FedExCup, The BMW would look a lot more like the Children's Miracle Network.

Quote:

Hello Erik, sure it's my opinion! ;) Actually FedEx is not boring, it's just that it's really like any other regular event... nothing special!

But again, would you prefer if there was nothing of significance to watch mid august to the end September?

And again, it isn't like "any other" tournament.  You have the top players playing 4 straight weekends late in the season.  In the past, the top players didn't play much after the PGA Championship...so do you wish we go back to that?  Or, can you just take it for what is?

By no means is it perfect, nothing is perfect.  But as a true fan of golf, it surely is interesting.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I agree it's not perfect. But, as so many have said, it is better than the silly season it used to be know as. I hear a lot of people complain about it but they seem to offer very few other solutions to making the fall season something worth watching. No, it's not perfect but I like them continually narrowing the field down.

Hello there! Sure watching the wheel of fortune would be less entertaining but this is not my point. Since the title is "is a waste of 10m$" my answer is yes cause is boring, with no drama, and nobody really cares who is going to win... As I said before, a sudden death match play would make it at least more interesting.

About the formula, I really don't see that drama a word like Playoffs would deserve... Yawn...

Ciao

Ale

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

Quote:

But again, would you prefer if there was nothing of significance to watch mid august to the end September?

And again, it isn't like "any other" tournament.  You have the top players playing 4 straight weekends late in the season.  In the past, the top players didn't play much after the PGA Championship...so do you wish we go back to that?  Or, can you just take it for what is?

By no means is it perfect, nothing is perfect.  But as a true fan of golf, it surely is interesting.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by makaveli

Hello there! Sure watching the wheel of fortune would be less entertaining but this is not my point. Since the title is "is a waste of 10m$" my answer is yes cause is boring, with no drama, and nobody really cares who is going to win... As I said before, a sudden death match play would make it at least more interesting.

1. I don't think it's boring.
  2. Only FedEx can determine if it's a "waste" of $10M.

So that's that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"So that's that" what? please be nicer and respect other's opinion since I see you are the admin as well...

1. sure you think not, that's your opinion and that's understandable, I -on the other side- think it is!

2. dude couldn't you post this as a second post and close this thread if this was the point of the discussion?!?

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't think it's boring.

Only FedEx can determine if it's a "waste" of $10M.

So that's that.

I dont see how it is a waste of 10 mil at all.

It is a silly system, it fails at making it feel like golf has a playoff and a champion, but any way you measure it you simply cannot call it a waste.

Quote: Definition of Waste
to consume, spend, or employ uselessly or without adequate return; use to no avail or profit; squander: to waste money; to waste words.

First of all the money is not just given away they would not be in the 5th(i think) year of this if they were taking a loss on it. More then the money put into it is earned back through Tickets, Televisions, advertisements.

For those who enjoy it and those who attend it, and those golf courses who host it. The towns and local vendors and hotels that get filled up, this is not a waste.

Call it silly, call it stupid, call it bad golf, but calling it a waste of 10 million dollars is not accurate. Any way you look at it the money put into it is more then gotten back, making it not a waste in any waste.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Smaller companies can be seen investing $10M+ for their marketing campaigns, let alone Fed Ex.

They are doing this bonus payout for several years now., so the benefit must be there, otherwise they would have backed out already.

• Administrator

1. sure you think not, that's your opinion and that's understandable, I -on the other side- think it is!

I was just pointing out that you keep making posts saying "it is boring." Not "In my opinion, it's boring." I'm very particular about fact vs. opinion.

Originally Posted by makaveli

2. dude couldn't you post this as a second post and close this thread if this was the point of the discussion?!?

Well, to be honest, it's kind of a stupid thread if "is it worth it" or "waste of money" is the discussion, since none of us can say. That's for FedEx to say.

You should have perhaps said "do you like it?" or "is it boring?"

None of us are qualified to talk about whether it's worth $10M. We don't have any facts on the matter.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Dude we are not keepers of the holy truth, of course what I say it's my opinion unless stated differently -.-

I think the thread is not stupid cause it would like to ask if 10m$ maybe are too much playoffs like this, at least is how I intended it...

iacas, it seems that you are taking this discussion too personally... Nobody would discuss if the Masters of Open price is 10m$ but for the FedEx we are, this is why is just the FedEx. You can also change FedEx with Race to Dubai and the reasoning is not that different btw!

Why is so difficult to understand my point? Maybe cause I am not English mothertongue?!?

I was just pointing out that you keep making posts saying "it is boring." Not "In my opinion, it's boring." I'm very particular about fact vs. opinion.

Well, to be honest, it's kind of a stupid thread if "is it worth it" or "waste of money" is the discussion, since none of us can say. That's for FedEx to say.

You should have perhaps said "do you like it?" or "is it boring?"

None of us are qualified to talk about whether it's worth $10M. We don't have any facts on the matter.

• Upvote 1

Dude we are not keepers of the holy truth, of course what I say it's my opinion unless stated differently -.-

I think the thread is not stupid cause it would like to ask if 10m$ maybe are too much playoffs like this, at least is how I intended it...

iacas, it seems that you are taking this discussion too personally... Nobody would discuss if the Masters of Open price is 10m$ but for the FedEx we are, this is why is just the FedEx. You can also change FedEx with Race to Dubai and the reasoning is not that different btw!

Why is so difficult to understand my point? Maybe cause I am not English mothertongue?!?

The problem is, this is not something you can even have an opinion on. It's black or white. FedEx can crunch the numbers and see if them investing this $10 million improves their bottom line. If it does, it's worth it. If it's does, it's not worth it. Since none of us have the numbers, any "opinion" on this matter is just a guess. It's a shot in the dark.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

I think you're misunderstanding me, perhaps because of the English disconnect.

When someone says "it is boring" that's a statement of fact. Someone can assume they mean "in my opinion" but if that's what the original person meant to say, they could say "I think it's boring." Saying "it is boring" or "it is a waste of money" is a statement of fact. On the first, that's not really something that's factual, and on the second, only FedEx can really tell us if it's a "waste" or not.

I realize that by responding again you'll probably take this as some sort of personal attack. It's not. I just wish you'd asked a better question.

1. Is it boring? No, in my opinion, it's not, and it's way better than the alternative.

2. Is it a waste of $10M? Nobody here can say. FedEx can, and who knows what they think? None of us.

Peace.

In my opinion, the Fedex isn't boring. Watching them sweat over a putt to stay alive makes it interesting to me. What I'd like to see change is the fact that a guy can miss an event, sleep in, whatever, and still win the thing:-P. I'm sure the format will continue to change and improve, but overall I like the idea of a playoff in golf. As for the $$ - Neither Fedex or the players seem to think it's a bad thing......

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Sure nobody can say is FedEx did a good investment or not, but I suppose this thread is meant to express opinions about if the FedEx Cup for the audience is worth 10m or not, at least is how I intended it: I think it's not, you think it is and that's absolutely fine! ;)

I will make sure to add "imho" everytime I express an opinion so there will be no more misunderstanting!

Btw I am the only one here thinking a sudden death match play would be much more entertaining and more a playoff?

I think you're misunderstanding me, perhaps because of the English disconnect.

When someone says "it is boring" that's a statement of fact. Someone can assume they mean "in my opinion" but if that's what the original person meant to say, they could say "I think it's boring." Saying "it is boring" or "it is a waste of money" is a statement of fact. On the first, that's not really something that's factual, and on the second, only FedEx can really tell us if it's a "waste" or not.

I realize that by responding again you'll probably take this as some sort of personal attack. It's not. I just wish you'd asked a better question.

1. Is it boring? No, in my opinion, it's not, and it's way better than the alternative.

2. Is it a waste of $10M? Nobody here can say. FedEx can, and who knows what they think? None of us.

Peace.

Im a member of the "audience" and it costs me zilch, so is it worth zero dollars to watch decent golf later into the year than before?

Is that even a question worth asking?

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

Btw I am the only one here thinking a sudden death match play would be much more entertaining and more a playoff?

You may well be. I certainly don't think a sudden death matchplay would be more entertaining.

It would be gimmicky and pointless. Perhaps they're looking for something beyond mere "entertainmnent".

If you've got an idea on how to create excitement and relevance, I'm sure the PGATour would welcome your ideas - as long as you're paying.

Something like the Kodak Challenge.

Why don't you put up $5 milliion dollars of your money and have a matchplay tournament for the 16 top finishers in the FedEx Cup and have it run the week after? Winner take all.

I'm not about to tell FedEx how to invest their advertising money. The FedEX Cup gives them a huge international profile.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!