IGNORED

My Swing (mineralgray610)

mineralgray610
Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I am posting my swing videos in hopes of finding some solutions to my swing woes.  I have been golfing for 5 years and carry a 20.8 handicap.  My iron play is horrendous.  My mishits are either a pull left or a big slice.  I also tend to hit shots fat and strike the ground with my driver and woods.  I have no experience judging swings, but it looks like I have an over the top swing as a result of my past baseball/softball days.

I practice quite a bit and am willing to put in the time necessary to get it right.  I'm tired of struggling and want to improve my game.  I would appreciate any feedback as to my swing faults and some suggestion on how to fix them.  Thank you for taking the time to view my post.

I'm no expert but I'd say you're swaying back a bit too much, and it might help if you stayed a little more centered and kept your left foot on the ground.

In my Bag (work in progress):

Driver: TaylorMade 10.5* R11, Regular Shaft
3W: TaylorMade Burner 15*

3Hy: Nike SQ Sumo Hybrid
Irons: 2005 TaylorMade Rac OS, 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56*, old dingy 64* wedge that I have no business using

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Putter or a Cleveland Classic Anser-Style

Kicks: Footjoy E-Comforts

Ball: Used Titleist DT Solos.

I'm no expert either, but the way your front foot pivots, that would indicate you haven't fully shifted your weight to the front through impact.    Biggest thing that helped me to eliminate fat shots was to concentrate on not dipping the left shoulder - you're not doing as bad as I was ... but these may be things to tinker with ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The main thing I see here is that your downswing starts with a hit at the ball with your arms. As mentioned you bring the club inside and shift too much to your right side. You over backswing with a lifting move at the top, then swing your arms at the ball (over the top move) and swing signifcantly out to in. These moves will result in fat shots and slices. I'd work on staying more centered in the backswing and initiating the forward swing with the legs/hips. The best golfers get their legs and hips going forward before the backswing is completed. [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wpyAXvIDYw[/VIDEO]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I think the following video is excellent for details on the hip/leg action in the golf swing [VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uymsv7L2PJA[/VIDEO]

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

I looked at your video and I see a big, glaring "been there done that". See your left heel at the top of your swing? It's out of control. KEEP YOUR LEFT HEEL FIRMLY PLANTED ON THE GROUND THROUGHOUT THE SWING. Watch the Hogan video and watch him keep his left heel planted. Compare his to yours. Watch a TV golf tournament this weekend and watch every swing. You will not see a single professional golfer raise his heel at the top of the swing. Not one. If you raise your heel all kinds of things happen. FIRST, you sway to the right (in your front view video, put your cursor on your crotch and you'll see that at the top of the swing your heel is high off the ground and you have swayed your entire body to your right rather than coiling around your right leg). SECOND, you start your swing by planting your heel rather than bumping your hip and when you do that only the good lord knows where the club is going to go, but it's probably going to go outside-in. THIRD, look at your left foot at the completion of the swing. It's pointed at the target. Also look at your hips. Your hips have rotated so much they are pointing to the left of the target. That means that instead of uncoiling the swing toward the target, your whole body has rotated counter-clockwise beyond the target which will force a terrific pull or hook. That all started at the beginning of the downswing when you rotated your left foot 45 degrees to the left of your original setup position. I could go on, but that's enough. Keeping your heel firmly planted throughout the swing will resolve all three of these errors. Watch Hogan above. Watch the pros this weekend. Forget everything but that left heel. Compare every left heel you see with your left heel in your video. Then go the the driving range and hit an entire bucket of balls concentrating on nothing but keeping your left foot firmly planted on the ground.

Originally Posted by mineralgray610

Looking at other swing posts, it looks like I am releasing too early and bringing the club too far inside on the backswing.

For some reason you are coming outside in in your downswing. Your hands rise when starting the downswing, they should rather drop than rise.

• 7 months later...

I have posted an updated video with three proactice swings.  I will hopefully get some slow motion videos posted.  I have been working on my swing since my first post back in September.  I have improved my scores.  I have dropped my HC from 24 to 19.3.  I am still trying to lose the OTT swing.  My ball flight tends to be right push or a pull slice.  I still feel like my hips are slow to react and I have been fighting the tendency to overswing.  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

It appears that you have a little bounce in your swing. I see your belt line and your head "bob" a bit. It may help to keep your head a bit more steady. Something I am working on as well.

Also you may need to get your weight a bit more forward in the back swing and even more forward thru the down swing. Hard to tell from that angle.

• 2 years later...

I've been Playing Golf for: 10 years

My current handicap index or average score is:  20 Handicap - inconsistent iron play

My typical ball flight is: High with hooks

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:  My hips aren't active in downwing.  Weight is on right side. Thin shots and hooks

Videos:

7 Iron Back View

7 Iron Front View

I seem to get stuck on my right side.  I never take a divot unless I hit it really fat.  My misses are thin shots or pull hooks.  I am looking for help with my pivot and downswing.  I spend a lot of time practicing, although it is hard to see, and am willling to put in the time to improve my swing and maybe take a divot.

Thanks,

@mineralgray610 , nice work on your backswing. I agree, getting your weight forward is definitely the priority.

I recommend you flare both your feet outwards a bit at address. This allows your knees to rotate outwards a little bit (bow legged) which allows the hips to move more freely.

The feeling you want is to slide your hips towards first base in the downswing. Right now, you sort of just rotate with very little slide. The sliding will help with the weight shift, controlling the low point of the club, and the casting/flip. Check out this video:

BTW, please just post in your existing swing thread, thanks :-)

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd update my progress since the last time.  With the help of the TST members, I have dropped my HC from 20 to 13.  With that being said, I still have not been able to get my lower body involved in the swing and it is frustrating.  I use a very short and compact swing in order to control my ball flight.  I also use down cock in the wrists which limits my backswing wrist set. 

My typical ball flight is low and my misses are mostly duck hooks with an occasional slice.  Any advice for including the lower body more would be helpful.  Also, any other input is appreciated.

Note:  The angle on the face on is a bit off.  The ball is actually placed in the inside of my left foot. 

Note: This thread is 2756 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!