IGNORED

Pitching/Chipping From Hard Pan

cruzthepug
Note: This thread is 1582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

I really struggle with short game shots off bare lies (dry/thin grass or dirt). I tend to either hit them thin or fat, and when contact is solid they always fly too far. 

Is there any technique difference to hitting these shots well, or is it just a matter of practicing off this type of turf?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

my only tips would be to get the weight forward to make sure i get ball first contact.  I find I strike the ball much cleaner when I play my pitches back in my stance rather than forward.  obviously limits the height I can get, but usually works out fine for most shots as long as you have the right touch. 

3-pw 2007 callaway x-forged
56 cleveland
60 cleveland 
Driver - Callaway xr16
3w - Callaway xr16
Shoes - Etonic stabilite sport

My first tip would be to find a hard pan area or similar, and practice that particular shot. Knowing what works, and doesn't work is knowledge.

Myself, since I use Paul Runyon's chip/putt method, I just use my normal chipping stroke on chips off hard pan, and/or bare areas. Since the club has little, or no contact with the turf or bare ground, there's no reason to change. I will even use this method on shorter pitch shots.

For longer pitches, I will grip down on my 7W and just sort of punch the ball where I need it. Obviously if I need extra height to carry over something, then I will use something similar to the videos in this thread. 

I devote practice time to all "horror" shots off bad lies. Makes it easier to handle them when they show up when playing for a score. . 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

16 hours ago, iacas said:

Hard pan was exactly what I was needed to search for but couldn’t recall the right vocabulary. 

Thanks @iacas for redirecting my OP. This technique looks very helpful. I use more of a putting type stroke for short game shots, so I’ve got something new to work on. I read about that type of shot in LSW but seeing the video really helps illustrate the technique. 

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Note: This thread is 1582 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!