IGNORED

What is your personal goal for golf?

jcollins120
Note: This thread is 3619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, my long term goal is to become a scratch golfer (or better).  Since I only started golfing this past February, that is quite a goal, so I set a more reasonable goal of breaking 90 before year-end.  I have a good swing, just too many mental thoughts that create problems.  I think I am going to get with a golf teacher I know to sort out some of my issues.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Short Term: start breaking 80 somewhat consistently again

Medium Term: Get my back to the point where I can actually walk 18 holes instead of riding every round.

Long Term: Enjoy the game as long as I can

I try to go year by year.  Last year, I tried to create a basic swing that would allow more consistency.  This year I worked again on consistency with my driver and irons and now brought my handicap from an 18 to a 13.  Next year, I am working on my short game from 80 yards in and reducing my number of putts per round.  My goal is to get closer to winning our club championship and I will only get there thru consistency.

I don't have too much time to dedicate to practice so I am taking it slow and looking at each bad shot as a chance to make a next great shot.  Rereading Golf is not a game of perfect helps too.

I just try to knock a couple of strokes off my handicap every year. I started playing somewhat serious 3 years ago. Started at a 36 hdcp by the end of the year, I was a 29. Last year I dropped it down to a 24. This year I am down to 21.

To keep it under 80 on a bad day, 75 on a good one. :)

Seriously? I'm past the point of tinkering with my swing. I just want to be able to walk the course every Sunday and have a good time, enjoying my round with whomever I play with. Last week it was that perfect 3 iron second into a par 5 green. Kick-in birdies are cool...  :)

yea, ok, so I missed the eagle putt. still felt good.

In the Bag

Ping i15 8* Diamana Whiteboard

Titleist 909f3 13.5* Aldila NV

Ping S57 3-PW KBS C-taper

Macgregor 52, 56, and 60 wedges

SC Newport 2.5

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Short term: Break 80. Narrow my dispersion cone. Become more consistent with my yardages. Improve my chipping. Practice AimPoint more than I do now.

Mid term: Slowly and steadily reduce my handicap with the goal of being a 10 or so handicap by this time next year (I'll be playing through winter too). Start competing in tournaments and feel happy enough with my game that I'll regularly join roll-ups and club tournaments.

Long term: Single digit handicap. Win some tournaments. Join a society.

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

These are all great goals. Golf is such a great game.

Driver: Undecided..Someone help me decide
Fast 12 3 Wood 15* Stiff Shaft
A12 3 Hybrid 19* Stiff Shaft
CB Blade Irons (4-7) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
MB Blade Irons (8-PW) Dynamic Gold X-100 Shafts
SM4 52* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 56* Oil Can Wedge - S300 Shaft
SM4 60* Oil Cal Wedge - Wedge Flex
2010 California Series - Monterey - 35'

i have just one:  single digit handicap.

In my Grom Stand bag:

Driver: Ping G20, 8.5 Tour Stiff
Wood/Hybrid: G20 3W, Raylor 19*, 22*
Irons: R9 5I - SW, TM CGB LW

Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi-Mid

Favorites: Old Ranch (Seal Beach), Ike/Babe (Industry Hills), Skylinks (Long Beach), Desert Willow (Palm Desert)

Long range goal is scratch.

In the more medium term, I'd like to get to <5 HC, meaning I'd like to expect to shoot low 80s on bad days, in the 70s most days, and where great days were days I was threatening breaking par.

Short term goals are to narrow dispersion cone, especially with mid and mid-short irons.  I have the length to hit 2h or 3i off the tee on par 4s < 400 yards, but on lots of holes nearer to 400 yards that leaves me with 6i-8i where my dispersion cone feels much closer to 4i-5i than it does to 9i-SW.  It's very frustrating to feel like you're playing it smart, hit 3i off the tee, hit the fairway, then put a 7i almost as far left or right as a miss with a 4i, short side or bunker myself, and not get up and down.  Other main short term goal is to increase up and down percentage via more practice with the wedges so I can make more pars when I miss the green by just a little.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My goal is to consistantly shoot the mid 80's / low 90's.  My average in the beginning of the year was 136.  I played my last round of the year Sunday and shot a 113 so my goal is reachable.  I have worked really hard on not only my swing and stance but also my mental game which by far has been the greatest area of improvement this year.  My course has a golf simulator so I plan on continuing to work on the game over the winter.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

I started out small.  I shot in the 90's at the beginning of the year and hoped to shoot in the low 80's consistently by the end of the year.  I managed that early on in the year so I reset my goals to playing each round with one ball. I had never done that before.  I have since finished 85% of my rounds on the ball I start with.  So that is a huge improvement.  So I set new goals of fairways and greens in regulation.  Mostly fairways.  I hit many greens in regulation, but I seem to hit many of them from the high grass.  It sure feels good when I have the chance to do it from the short grass!!  So next year I will try to set some realistic goals for fairways, greens and putts.

In my Clutch stand bag:

G15 Driver

G15 4 Wood

Warrior Golf 7 Wood

G15 4-UW

55* Sand & 60* Lob Wedges

Sedona i Putter

Balls

Develop more consistency in my swing. Right now I have days where Im absolutely lights-out and other days where youd swear Ive never played golf before.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by caniac6

My father is 83 and still playing. My goal is to have fun and play a long time.

Yep, hope I'm still able to play at 63 let alone 83.

Originally Posted by Teamanglerx

My goal is to consistantly shoot the mid 80's / low 90's.  My average in the beginning of the year was 136.

Wow, have to hand it to you for continuing to play and actually keeping score if your AVERAGE at the beginning of the year was 136.  How long have you been golfing?

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

Originally Posted by threejack

i started 3 months ago and I am a consistent 90, gotta say thats not bad!

Soon you'll be ready for the 18 hole courses.

• Upvote 1

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Just finishing my 2nd season. My first season I only played about 9 holes a week but got hooked quick, ended the season with a nasty slice. This year I've played a lot more, usually 18-27 holes a week. I got rid of the slice for the most part but picked up a nasty hook. My mid to short game improved greatly but I rarely count a full/accurate score as I take too many mulligans, mostly off the tee.

Next season I plan to take 6-8 lessons to get a proper swing/grip/stance developed. I don't want to get to far in just to have to rebuild. By the end of next season I'd like to be playing each round without mulligans and counting a true score. I'd almost be happy with it being under 100 if it was really honest. I'd prefer 95 or even 90 but don't want to be greedy.

Long term I'd like to drop 5 strokes a year. So if I get to 100 in 2012 I'd be thrilled to be at an honest 80 by the end of 2016, I'm only 28 now so have time. Given I've never been the most athletic type I'm not sure if being a near scratch golfer is in my future.

Hole in ones too me would be fun but to me represent too much of a fluke event, none the less your odds are greatly increased as you skill increases.

Note: This thread is 3619 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!