IGNORED

Hitting into a Net

iacas
Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:
You can also buy just the netting and make a pvc pipe frame dirt cheap. There are many ways to do this.

Just did it this weekend.

1 PVC pipe (3/4")

a bunch of eyebolts, eyescrews, a couple screw hooks

some caribiners

clothesline

about $20 plus a 8' x 10' tarp

took about 90 minutes to measure, drill holes, assemble, and install in my garage

I can hoist it up to the rafters when not in use

I can store the tarp on the top frame when not in use

taking it up and down takes about 2 minutes from storage to hitting into it

a good grass mat costs a little more (cheap from $20 to REALLY nice in the hundred$)

and that's about it

I like it a lot

garage is a bit cramped for woods and driver but I fit ok

picking out the hitting angle was based solely on fitting my swing in the space available and not hitting anywhere near the light bulbs

wedges are tricky, you need to position the bottom of the tarp so you hit up into it, instead of from in front of it

best to design it so the tarp is relatively loose (gathers the balls gently, no bounce)

corners are designed to pull the top towards me to cup the receiving face a bit

I can swap in or out any tarp, blanket, sheet, whatever in just seconds....

I thought it would be tricky, but after a couple prototypes, I found out that just a hanging tarp supported only at the top does the job perfectly - no need for a side frame or base unless you really are a chronic shanker

but, here in January Minnesota.......I'll need a better garage heater

next step is a ball collection feature I'm designing in my head - big diameter PVC pipe with wide opening cut along the side attached at the bottom grommets, some way to pin the bottom of the tarp, etc etc etc

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Me too. I could just imagine the looks on my neighbors faces as I tee off aiming directly at their deck!

oooo Thats funny!!!

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Originally Posted by David Hineline

Definitely hitting foam balls into the net would be almost worthless other than to practice swinging the club. I don't even recommend the Almost Ball into the net unless you are inside using Optishot.

Why?

If I'm working on contact a foam ball will do just fine, especially if I'm using a camera. You can't really see extended ball flight anyway so why not use a foam ball? It will tell you everything you need to know about clubface angle and with a little piece of painters tape you can learn a lot about your impact position as well.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You're absolutely right. The Almostgolf balls are slightly lighter than real balls because they are not the same material as regular balls, and only real balls will give you the feel of real balls. However, when someone is comparing plastic and foam balls, which are extremely light compared to real balls, I would reccommend the Almostgolf balls any day. As mentioned in my post, I have used these on numerous occasions. They work real good when you are somewhere that real golf balls can't be used, and give true feedback.

Originally Posted by golfballs01

You're absolutely right. The Almostgolf balls are slightly lighter than real balls because they are not the same material as regular balls, and only real balls will give you the feel of real balls. However, when someone is comparing plastic and foam balls, which are extremely light compared to real balls, I would reccommend the Almostgolf balls any day. As mentioned in my post, I have used these on numerous occasions. They work real good when you are somewhere that real golf balls can't be used, and give true feedback.

Who are you talking to? I can make an educated guess but you might want to use the quote function or address people with their screen name....

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Who are you talking to? I can make an educated guess but you might want to use the quote function or address people with their screen name....

He's talking to me, and I simply found these kinds of statements "funny" or flat out incorrect, and I like to share the most accurate information I can. These are all quotes:

• I don't suggest using foam or wiffle balls.
  • There are practice balls called "Almostgolf" balls. They feel like real balls, including the weight.

AlmostGolf Balls are foam (statement #1) and they're nowhere near the same weight as real golf balls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You're exactly right. People purchase drivers in the store and even using the Vector Pro system, which measures all aspects of ball flight from impact, don't give absolute information. I've used the Vector Pro for two years now and have seen on the range, where the Vector would give a certain ball flight and distance, the actual ball carry and flight would be different. A net can give the same feedback. You can tell if you are getting good contact but draws and slices that aren't severe, are typically undetectable. For longer shots, fairway woods and driver, I suggest trying to spend as much time as possible hitting at the range instead of into a net. Just a suggestion.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by golfballs01

For longer shots, fairway woods and driver, I suggest trying to spend as much time as possible hitting at the range instead of into a net. Just a suggestion.

I don't particularly agree with this, and outlined reasons in the earlier posts in the thread, particularly if the indoor facility has a launch monitor like a Flightscope or Trackman. The executive summary: people can improve their golf swing more quickly when not worrying about ball flight and just worrying about the things that affect ball flight.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

He's talking to me, and I simply found these kinds of statements "funny" or flat out incorrect, and I like to share the most accurate information I can. These are all quotes:

I don't suggest using foam or wiffle balls.

There are practice balls called "Almostgolf" balls. They feel like real balls, including the weight.

AlmostGolf Balls are foam (statement #1) and they're nowhere near the same weight as real golf balls.

I gotta add to this- "Almostgolf" balls are better than wiffle balls, but they don't give "true feedback." If your distance is cut in 1/3, so is the slice or hook distance. You can get an idea of the direction, but it's not true feedback. Also, I should've went to the Mythbusters before buying that they're "window safe." I shanked a 7 iron with one and shattered my father in-law's office window from 40 feet away. He was real happy about that!

Originally Posted by mmoan2

I gotta add to this- "Almostgolf" balls are better than wiffle balls, but they don't give "true feedback." If your distance is cut in 1/3, so is the slice or hook distance. You can get an idea of the direction, but it's not true feedback. Also, I should've went to the Mythbusters before buying that they're "window safe." I shanked a 7 iron with one and shattered my father in-law's office window from 40 feet away. He was real happy about that!

I haven't experimented but have been concerned that they can shattered glass. They seem hard enough and have enough mass to break a window.

As far as ball flight I get great feedback with a full swing when the ball is compressed right. I think it's pretty obvious that a push fade or hook is going to put you in trouble weather using a real ball or the Almost Golf ball which is why i think it's a great training tool.They mimic almost exactly my misses which is a push fade off the tee and a slight hook with my short irons.

Mizuno MP series irons, Vockey wedges, Callaway FT metal woods.

Was bored and remembered someone commented about the weight of the AG balls compared to real balls so I decided to weigh them.

AG ball=15g

Real ball=45g (some random Pinnacle I had in a drawer given away at a clubhouse dedication)

Dave :-)

Quote: Originally Posted by David Hineline View Post

A video of me utilizing the net. Swing speed is about 85%. Nice and smooth 3 irons. 2 hours after this vid I hit 3 iron to 6 feet at 215 yards with this swing at 90%. The Secret in the Dirt web underground and my net are my greatest assets right now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMsU54bjwZc&list;=HL1358207449&feature;=mh_lolz

Mizuno MP series irons, Vockey wedges, Callaway FT metal woods.

I must say, I'm surprised. Facts are facts and I don't dispute it. I didn't realize that there was that much difference. I only know that I have used them with clinics with new students, and they have served me well. I stand corrected and apologize to anyone who I might have misslead.

A room opened up in my house and is big enough to use to practice hitting golf balls. Now I'm shopping around for a net. Just curious, has anyone tried the Rukk Net? I know there are better options like building your own, but I'm probably not as hands on and rather just buy one instead of risking the walls and window of my poor craftsmanship. This one is a decent price (a lot lower than the Net Return) and it's portable. Anyone have this or tried it?

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Garage setup - $20 plus tarp (plus a blanket) details up thread - I did put a hole in the tarp (and the wall) with a very nice 5 iron strike (you can see the hole at the bottom - in front of the plywood - at the time, the assembly was completely hoisted to the ceiling and the bottom was restrained at the corners.  So I added the clamps to hang a blanket (another $5 total).  As long as the blanket is free hanging, it gathers in most any strike nicely and the tarp behind then stops and gathers.  Simple wins here.  Alternatively, a looser weave hanging (like in the golf stores would likely do just as well - best not to restrain the bottom of the tarp so it can flex and dissipate the energy.

and stowed and raised out of the way

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Originally Posted by RPMPIRE

A room opened up in my house and is big enough to use to practice hitting golf balls. Now I'm shopping around for a net. Just curious, has anyone tried the Rukk Net? I know there are better options like building your own, but I'm probably not as hands on and rather just buy one instead of risking the walls and window of my poor craftsmanship. This one is a decent price (a lot lower than the Net Return) and it's portable. Anyone have this or tried it?

The problem with this type of net if you plan to use it indoor is twofold.

1.) You need a lot of room behind the net - because the force of the golf ball will hit into the net - but the net will still travel several feet before the net becomes taught and the ball is stopped and drops down or reflects back toward you.  So make sure the room you are placing it into has enough depth allocated that you can properly set the net up, place yourself into the room to make a full swing - and still have enough room for the net to expand beyond to absorb the blow of the golf shot.  I'd say to be safe... Take the depth of the net and add 10'.  Obviously you need ample space to swing in front of the net... Then you will need to reserve another 3' to 5' behind the net so that it doesn't damage your drywall.

2.) I had a net similar to this in my garage when I lived in Chicago.  And the problem I found was that I needed to move it out away from the wall as described above.  And then had to get sand bags or weights to keep it from moving as the net was placed onto a concrete floor.  So there is no way to anchor the net if you place it indoors on carpet, wood or concrete flooring due that the force of impact moves the net.

So when it was all said an done, I ended up having to get a tarp and blanket (to hang behind the net) to prevent damage in our drywall - and getting some weights to place into the four corners of the net to keep it from moving.

The net that I am going to buy is the SwingBox.  It is small, compact and will easily fit into a room indoors.

http://iswingbox.com/

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The problem with this type of net if you plan to use it indoor is twofold.

1.) You need a lot of room behind the net - because the force of the golf ball will hit into the net - but the net will still travel several feet before the net...........  And then had to get sand bags or weights to keep it from moving as the net was placed onto a concrete floor.

But then if you sandbag that net and pin in down, then the netting gets worn out a LOT faster unless the frame is super flexy.  It has to travel a bit else you'll get holes a lot sooner.

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!