IGNORED

I just don't want to play a ProV1

Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

Really? He's played the Pro V1x for several years: http://www.titleist.com/players/playersequipment.asp?playerid=793 .

Yeah... Plays Wilson Staff clubs but the ProV1x ball... I remember him in all the Titleist ads.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The "issue" for me is about brand bias (think of brand loyalty as a subset of brand bias where bias can be positive or negative). Let me try and explain. Some people are Pepsi people and other people are Coke people and others don't care. For some Pepsi people, they really don't "like" Coke. Forget the logic that in a blind taste test many either can not tell the difference or actually prefer Coke -- when the tasting is blind. They still prefer Pepsi and don't want to buy Coke. They are more than a bit anti-Coke. You can imagine the same bias/loyalty playing out with families that for generations have driven Ford trucks but would never consider a Chevy. "We're a Ford family."

I would argue that most people on this forum have a brand bias when it comes to balls. There are no "blind" ball testing opportunities for most of us so, our bias creeps into our preferences even when we test different balls. For some the bias is small, for others it is great. I have become aware of my bias against ProV's, I admit it, and that is why I started this thread. I thought this would be a "safe" place for me to bear my sole and get advise about other balls to try. Some of you have and I appreciate it. Some of you have suggested that I get over the bias. Others, by your responses, have given me the impression that you just don't get it. Kind of a , "Just drink your Coke in a glass and you won't know is Coke." I appreciate your effort to help but I'll know what is in the glass. And the bias is with me.

I do not care what others think of my ball. I am not embarrassed to play a certain ball. I am just admitting my brand bias against ProV's. There is nothing wrong with brand bias. It informs most of the buying decisions we make every week. Notice the next ad you see for a ball and think about how much is solid information and feature differentiation and how much is brand building.

Do you really think you play your ball without brand bias? I'm sure the Chief Marketing Officer at Titleist would disagree. What's that tag line? "The ________ ball in golf."

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Been following this thread, and can't quite figure out the OP.  He has a bias, and he doesn't care what others think, but he then asks for advice from others, who obviously have their own misguided biases.

OP: Play whatever you want.  Unless you are in a tournament setting, you don't have to tell anyone else what you're playing. I doubt your playing partners give a flying **** what you play.

Anyway, thanks for "bearing your sole". Those fish can get heavy after awhile. JK

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

What's that tag line? "The ________ ball in golf."

I've played with so many bad golfers this year that will only play one type of ball (usually a Titleist but not always) regardless of which model. I was about to give two found (mint condition) Nike Tours to a playing partner who'd already lost about 5 balls. He's not a good player at all, but he looks down his nose and says, "I only play Titleist". On the next green I look at his ball. It's one of those old HVC (or whatever) things with a cover made from concrete. Just a horrible ball in every way. Speaking of biased, he was just as happy playing a rock as long as it has Titleist written on it, and I almost gave away two great balls because they had a swoosh on them!?!

Still, I don't play Titleist and after yesterday I probably never will.

My longwinded rant starts on the par 5 fourth. I hook my first ball (Penta) past trees on the left and near the OB fence. I put my provisional (Pro V1) way way OB and I comment it's for the best since I always lose a Titleist so it's good to just get it over with. I find my first ball and play that to a stellar one-putt double bogey 7. Thind are okay(ish) until we get to the 17th hole. I hit a 2-iron fat and into the right trees. A playing parther finds a Titleist DT Solo stymied behind a tree and says "there you are - how you gonna play that one?".

I look and say, "No, that's not my ball. I'm hitting a TaylorMade." He questions my recollection and suggests I switched to a Titleist earlier.

I said, "No, I didn't switch to a Titleist, and besides this is a DT Solo which I haven't ever played. I'm still hitting a TaylorMade, and I think it's up ahead in the rough". So, because there was nobody within range of us (on any of the surrounding holes) I pocketed the DT Solo for my shag bag and went ahead to my ball ahead in the rough. I set my bag down and this guy is still questioning me, suggesting I'm about to play the wrong ball, even though my markings are clearly visible. He may or may not have also suggested I dropped it, even though he was watching me the whole time, but I was said (kind of loud) "Do you want me to sign a %^* affidavit [sp] that POS Titleist wasn't my ball?." He was about to say something and I stopped him. I pulled the Titleist out of my spares pocket and threw it deep into the bush. So, basically I was accused of cheating yesterday because 1.) I'd hit a single provisional with a Titleist product earlier in the round, and 2.) because this is the same tool who accused me of cheating for taking an uplayable lie last summer. I couldn't advance the ball so I dropped in line with the flag and ball about 50 yards back. He was mad even after I told him it's not as if I was taking a free drop - there was a penalty stroke involved. It's not Acushnet's fault this guy is a tool, but whenever I play a Titleist, even once, something bad happens. No more.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

"The ________ ball in golf."

"most frequently lost"? :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sean,

Welcome to the club of the self-aware. Embrace your biases. You'll never be able to buy groceries the same way again. 12 brands of pasta. Most have exactly the same ingredient list. Without brand bias, I'd still be in the pasta isle.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Sean,

Welcome to the club of the self-aware. Embrace your biases. You'll never be able to buy groceries the same way again. 12 brands of pasta. Most have exactly the same ingredient list. Without brand bias, I'd still be in the pasta isle.

Sicily?

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

I mean no offense by this, but you seem to have more of an exaggerated brand bias than most people I know.

For things like pasta, we tend to buy what's cheapest unless we feel like splurging, in which case we get fresh pasta from the little old Italian lady downtown. That stuff is worth every penny.

For virtually everything else I weigh the pros and cons. If a brand has a reputation for reliability (Honda CR-V) over another (Kia Sorento), then that is a factor, but that's not really a "brand" bias. For commodities, people buy what's cheapest.

Now, I realize you can come back at me and say "ah, but your biases are subconscious." And my response would be "no, they're not. I attempt to make rational, logical choices." But that wouldn't go anywhere, so let's just skip that phase.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Brand bias means you have a loyalty to aversion towards a brand due to some experience.  I have had good luck with GM products so I guess I'm loyal to them, but when my wife wanted a convertible and GM didn't have one she liked we bought a Chrysler and a BMW.  I am confused by your bias because it appears you like the way Titleist Pro V1's play but you don't want to use them because you don't like Titleist.  If you were biased against Pepsi would you force yourself to drink Coke products even if you liked the way Pepsi tasted better?

Joe Paradiso

If you dont want to play a Pro V1, then dont.  Theres plenty of other balls out there that are just as good.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Do you want to eliminate your "brand bias"? Send your wife (or any non-golfer that you know) to the store to buy balls for you. The last time I tried that, my fiance bought the most expensive hair products on the market (as usual - still love her to death though!) and complained that golf balls are expensive. I laughed and had a "deer in the headlights" look on my face when I opened the bag to find a dozen of Wilson Maximum Distance! LOL. $5.00 for a dozen, NEW!

That's how you eliminate bias - at least temporarily. I hit Golf Galaxy the very next day and picked up my AD333 and TriSpeeds.

You want to be "different" by playing a different golf ball. Right.

Being unique comes pretty cheap nowadays. My idea of being different doesn't have much to do with golf balls. Although, when I see someone playing a random golf ball I always say to myself in quiet awe, "wow...that guy's different ."

I kid.

Constantine

I have played ProV1X for a long time now and swear by the product, as I do with Titleist in general and all its sub-brands (FootJoy, Vokey & Scotty Cameron). I am not merely loyal to the brand, but to the notion of unsurpassable quality. Yes, the balls are expensive, but worth every cent. Yes, they do carry an elitist image (I admit), but at the very least you could never blame the equipment.

On the other hand: do you really watch what ball another guy is playing? Or rather how far that ball goes beyond yours, tee-wise? I have had a 20 handicap outdriving me 80 yards with grandpa's old Big Bertha and rockhard vintage balls, by the mere sound of it - on more than one hole in the same round. I was a worried man that day.

I played the PRO V1 and V1x for a long time. When the Penta came out, I tried it and liked it, but still went back to the Titleist. I swapped off of the PRO V1x for the Bridgestone B330-S this season, and have played very well with it. It feels like a mix of both balls and fits nicely in the middle.

Still, it's not to say that someday I'll go back to the V1x. Still, regardless of what you want to play, choose a ball that best fits your game. Bridgestone has a lot of options, but I wouldn't overlook Titleist either, they both have some great ball products.

Driver: :tmade: R11 9.0 - Bassara Griffin UL - Tour Stiff 3-wood: :tmade: R11 Ti 15.0 - JAVLNFX M6 - Stiff Hybrid: :tmade: Rescue Hybrid - JAVLNFX Hybrid - Stiff 4-PW: :mizuno: JPX 800 PRO - Nippon 1150 GH Tour - Stiff Wedges: :edel: 50/56/60 - Nippon WV 125 Putter/Ball/RF: :edel: / :bridgestone: B330 / :leupold: GX-3i

Originally Posted by Beukes

I have played ProV1X for a long time now and swear by the product, as I do with Titleist in general and all its sub-brands (FootJoy, Vokey & Scotty Cameron). I am not merely loyal to the brand, but to the notion of unsurpassable quality. Yes, the balls are expensive, but worth every cent. Yes, they do carry an elitist image (I admit), but at the very least you could never blame the equipment.

On the other hand: do you really watch what ball another guy is playing? Or rather how far that ball goes beyond yours, tee-wise? I have had a 20 handicap outdriving me 80 yards with grandpa's old Big Bertha and rockhard vintage balls, by the mere sound of it - on more than one hole in the same round. I was a worried man that day.

I think you (and many other OEM and especially boutique brand fanboys) think their favourite brand carries an elitist image, and the other players look at their setup with a sense of awe.  No, I'd say fanboy setups are more likely looked upon with a sense of humour.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I think you (and many other OEM and especially boutique brand fanboys) think their favourite brand carries an elitist image, and the other players look at their setup with a sense of awe.  No, I'd say fanboy setups are more likely looked upon with a sense of humour.

Do I sense a studenticose inferiority? Oh no, its a FORUM LEADER... Take some time off and actually read the thread. Then even unboutiqued, unbranded fanboys could understand the 'elitist' reference was not self-referential, but indeed a reference to corporate branding made earlier in the thread. Please tuck in your shirt or get another avatar.

Originally Posted by Beukes

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Do I sense a studenticose inferiority? Oh no, its a FORUM LEADER... Take some time off and actually read the thread. Then even unboutiqued, unbranded fanboys could understand the 'elitist' reference was not self-referential, but indeed a reference to corporate branding made earlier in the thread. Please tuck in your shirt or get another avatar.

It's okay I wasn't golfing that day and that place where I wasn't golfing has no dress code for those not golfing.

Your superfluousness has you pegged as, well, let's just say there are plenty of "forum leaders" who'd love to chat with you, but this one is getting an icky feeling just typing this reply, so party on.

Note: This thread is 4397 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!