IGNORED

My Swing (Poser)

poser
Note: This thread is 2274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Swing changes DTL over the last few months.

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks Mike it's not been easy.  I'm always going to fight my steep shoulder on the downswing and backing up I think but, it's getting better.

project x 6.0

Originally Posted by poser

Thanks Mike it's not been easy.  I'm always going to fight my steep shoulder on the downswing and backing up I think but, it's getting better.

It is getting better, Spencer has been good for you.  What have been the feels for the backswing?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Poser.....

If you stop your video at frame 00:14, I want to point out a couple things for you. First of all the position your are entering at this point is a critical position known as the delivery position The more consistent you are at reaching it properly, the more consistent you will be as a player. But you are not quite where you need to be. First of all. If you were to draw a line down your spine towards the ground at address, you would find that the ball is slightly in front (towards your target) of your zipper. The idea is to have your right knee moved toward that imaginary line when you reach the delivery position. You should also have that right elbow out front of you (at least as far  as your front pocket), and as far as you can get it towards that line as well. The closer you can get to that imaginary line, the more club head speed you will generate. That positions is is very important, and almost every pro you ever watch, reaches that delivery position. For players like Bubba Watson, and the longer hitters, their right elbow ( of left if they are left handed) moves almost to their zipper. The reason is that if you can get that elbow by that zipper, you will have held your "ells" very deep into your swing. Here are two videos for you to watch. the first shows the delivery position, so you can see it and understand where you want to get to. The second is about what you benefit from if you can get that shaft to align with your lead arm at impact.

Golf is about your physiology, coupled to the engineering built into the club. They work together. Part is about physics. The holding of the "ells" creates club head speed because of the rule of the lever (our arms are type 3 levers). That is simple physics.And the clubs use physics too. Those clubs you swing were actually engineered with the ideal swing as its basic starting point. They create a club to do a couple things, but the reality is that you have to swing it properly to garner what it was designed to do. At setup, our hands at address are centered in our bodies. But at impact, we are no longer static, but are moving. We are turning rapidly, generating a great deal of energy, the club is flexing, and torquing, and the shaft is actually supposed to align with our leading shoulder at impact. That alignment, coupled to our body tilt, changes the loft of the club, making it stronger than at setup. At address, both wrist have an angle, and the club is resting on its bounce ( the flange behind the club face). But at impact, the lead wrist has lost that angle, and your right wrist should exhibit more angle. What this does is it stands the club face slightly more erect, meaning the leading edge has rotated downward slightly, and the loft has been lowered. That lowering does a couple of things. Most importantly, it allows the club to cut a divot without the bounce of the club interfering. The divot is thus cut, and not gouged out of the ground. The only way this occurs is when the shaft aligns with that lead arm. If you can take a perfect divot, about the size of a dollar bill, and the sides are clean too, then you stood the club properly.This position is what gives the player the proper loft that was intended in its design. It also is how you can get very consistent yardages too. When we move off of this, we are hiting finesse shots, and not standard shots at all.

Your body has limits of course. How your spine rotates is very important to understand. Not all vertebrae rotate. and of those that do, the sections are different and some can rotate more than others. Knowing this, and staying within the limits is how you can insure you don't hurt yourself. Most people don't know this but the part of your spine that rotates is only in the upper spine, near your neck. Your neck vertebrae rotate the most, then below that they rotate a bit less. And the bottom isn't meant to rotate at all. That is why it is important to bend at the hips. Your legs piston during the swing, and that movement is what gives you the sensation that your lower spine is turning, but it isn't because it can't.

You have a pretty solid swing, However, it can get better. You lean a bit too much towards your target during your back swing. And you don't get that right elbow over your front pocket at the delivery position. You haven't kicked that right knee towards the center of your stance either. Watch the videos and compare where you are against either of them. Stop Phil's swing at 38 seconds for a minute, and look at his left elbow, and how far in front of his body it is. .At 38 seconds in , his elbow is over that front pocket, and that knee is on line with that elbow. That is pure power.

I am not too sure why a 1.4 capper would come here to adjust his swing. But I guess you know what you're doing.

Originally Posted by mvmac

It is getting better, Spencer has been good for you.  What have been the feels for the backswing?

Honestly I don't even mess with the backswing anymore it's kinda become second nature.  I still flght some lifting which lays it off.  In the beginning I worked on keeping the left hand cupped going back to keep it from closing.  Also worked on trying to feel the shaft get steep going back and like I was holding an umbrella at the top.  Lastly I worked on trying to flatten my shoulder turn a little bit.  It's not perfect but, the club is starting to line up alot better at the top.

project x 6.0

Originally Posted by secondary

I am really struggling with making changes right now, this is pretty awesome to see.  Great job and thanks for editing it together.

Yea it takes time and patience.  I have had some ups and some really downs where I felt like quiting the game.

Here are the face on changes.  The last one is from a couple months ago and it's actually better than that now just don't have a video of it on the computer.

project x 6.0

• 3 weeks later...

So here are the latest from yesterday.  First lesson in a bout a month.  Some pieces are getting better some are getting a little sloppy again.  Not a super fan of the faceon through the ball but, that wasn't a super solid hit anyways.  I do like how the face is starting to look in the follow through way better than it use to be.  What you guys think?  Trying to work on not over extending on the backswing which in turn seems to cause me to second axis tilt even more.  Feels really rounded right now though.

project x 6.0

• Administrator

I'd tighten up the backswing by feeling it stop just a *teeny* bit sooner, then rip the hands down the chest faster. You'll see, in the FO especially, how your lower body and hips pretty much stall from A5.5 to A7. Rip the hands down and you won't slightly compromise the geometry.

01.jpg 02.jpg

You didn't say much about what your misses or your good balls were like. I can guess they're a little thin and might tend to leak a little right. Your "good" balls are likely slight straight "pulls" (not left of target, left of alignment).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the feedback I agree for sure.  My normal shot shape with irons is always a push draw.   Before I started making changes my Miss was a pull draw now it seems to just be a push.

So to get the feel on the downswing it feel like my arms are more active and faster?

project x 6.0

• Administrator

So to get the feel on the downswing it feel like my arms are more active and faster?

Yes. Feel the left arm moving across the chest faster.

Mike has a few little setup changes for you too perhaps.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

Yes. Feel the left arm moving across the chest faster.

Mike has a few little setup changes for you too perhaps.

Yeah, just think the feet could be flared out more, about 10 degree on each side and have the hands further forward.  Shaft is almost 90 degrees to the ground.  Feet flare makes everything easier with the pivot and will help keep the right heel down longer so the hips don't stall and those arms can lower faster.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

awesome thanks guys.  Those are for sure things I have worked on but, as time goes on you start to resort to old habits.  Thanks I will work on both of those.

project x 6.0

• 2 months later...

Signed up for evolvr and been working on getting my left shoulder to stay down while left arm shifts down more.  Forgive the old dog lot in the backyard its on my to do list to get rid of lol along with fixing all my divots haha

• Upvote 1

project x 6.0

• Administrator

Signed up for evolvr and been working on getting my left shoulder to stay down while left arm shifts down more.  Forgive the old dog lot in the backyard its on my to do list to get rid of lol along with fixing all my divots haha

It's looking good! :)

Thanks Erik here is the face on still shots.

project x 6.0

Nice swing....keep up the hard work!

In my bag:
MP 57's 4-PW KBS Stiff
Ping G 20 10.5* Stiff
Taylormade V Steel 3 and 5 wood

Bridgestone J33 R Hybrid 21* NV Shaft
Mizuno MP Quad Cut 52* and 56* Spinner Shafts

Scotty Cameron Newport Two TeI3

Note: This thread is 2274 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!