IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

Relaxt kettlebell workout for me today. 16 kg. I did 4 sets of two arm swing (Russian version) for 30 seconds, one arm press both arms 8 times, split squad 8 times both legs.

Han

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am new to weightlifting (11 weeks in) and I have been eating extra cals to "bulk" but I am also putting on some belly fat as a result.  I don't really care for it that much.  I have been researching other alternatives to true "bulking".  I'll interested to see how yours turns out.

Problem is, you can't just add extra calories here and there and expect an impact. To truly bulk (the right way), you need a calorie surplus of about 500-600 calories above your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), and you need your calories to fit the macros you're looking for.

You also have to lift heavy and hard, and stay consistent. Bulking by randomly eating a lot one day, and than eating a lot another day without knowing what you're putting in your system wouldn't be beneficial.

As an example, once I'm done cutting and decide to bulk, as a 5'8"ish 155 lb (when I'm done cutting) 29 year old male who works out 4 days a week and has a desk job, my TDEE is approximately 2332 calories. So when I bulk, I'll try to eat about 2900-3000 calories a day.

Now, with bulking, you want to take in at least a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, so I'd just multiply something like 1.2 times my bodyweight...which would put me at 186 g of protein. Then I'd stay around 80 g of fat, and the rest would be carbs. And I would stay as consistent as possible.

You'll still gain a little fat this way (it's unavoidable), but it'll be a much 'cleaner' bulk than just eating a lot and lifting big.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Also vigorously track what you eat. Here's a example of my food for today:

I always leave some calories to spare for things that are harder to track, like spraying a pan down with Canola oil...etc., but I'm pretty close to what my current Macro/Calorie goals are.

Ryan M

I am new to weightlifting (11 weeks in) and I have been eating extra cals to "bulk" but I am also putting on some belly fat as a result.  I don't really care for it that much.  I have been researching other alternatives to true "bulking".  I'll interested to see how yours turns out.

If you want to know how much you can/should eat, go here. You can set your goal to bulking.

http://macrofit.com/macro-calculator/

Problem is, you can't just add extra calories here and there and expect an impact. To truly bulk (the right way), you need a calorie surplus of about 500-600 calories above your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure), and you need your calories to fit the macros you're looking for.

You also have to lift heavy and hard, and stay consistent. Bulking by randomly eating a lot one day, and than eating a lot another day without knowing what you're putting in your system wouldn't be beneficial.

As an example, once I'm done cutting and decide to bulk, as a 5'8"ish 155 lb (when I'm done cutting) 29 year old male who works out 4 days a week and has a desk job, my TDEE is approximately 2332 calories. So when I bulk, I'll try to eat about 2900-3000 calories a day.

Now, with bulking, you want to take in at least a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight, so I'd just multiply something like 1.2 times my bodyweight...which would put me at 186 g of protein. Then I'd stay around 80 g of fat, and the rest would be carbs. And I would stay as consistent as possible.

You'll still gain a little fat this way (it's unavoidable), but it'll be a much 'cleaner' bulk than just eating a lot and lifting big.

Nice to see another macros guy on here ;-)

Good post, that's pretty much what I'm planning on doing, my TDEE is just over 2400. When you bulk do you add a workout day or do you keep it to 4 and just go heavier?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Nice to see another macros guy on here

Good post, that's pretty much what I'm planning on doing, my TDEE is just over 2400. When you bulk do you add a workout day or do you keep it to 4 and just go heavier?

No need to add an extra day. Just keep the sets as heavy as you can go in the 6-10 rep range, and make sure you're hitting the compound lifts (deads, squats, bench...etc.,)

There are different schools of thought, and it's impossible to say one is better than the other, it's just a matter of experimenting what works for you.

I also don't do any cardio when I'm bulking, but a lot of people do. (Brotip: I never do cardio :beer: )

Ryan M

I also don't do any cardio when I'm bulking, but a lot of people do. (Brotip: I never do cardio )

Yeah the only "cardio" I do is kettlebell stuff.

Mike McLoughlin

I actually have to do cardio. Insulin resistance blows. I usually do weights and then about 20 minutes of cardio.

Cardio is essential for good health and longevity. But I workout strictly for strength and vanity. :-P

Ryan M

Cardio is essential for good health and longevity. But I workout strictly for strength and vanity. :-P

I did when I was younger. when the metabolism slows, more cardio is necessary. I WILL lose 60 lbs by spring. Edit: I got in a 5k this evening.

- Shane

I did when I was younger. when the metabolism slows, more cardio is necessary. I WILL lose 60 lbs by spring.

Edit: I got in a 5k this evening.

Nice! I should start training to run a 5k one of these days. I've never been a distance guy...my whole life I've played fast twitch sports. Would be interesting to see what I could do in an endurance race.

Chest and Shoulders today. Good workout.

Ryan M

I did when I was younger. when the metabolism slows, more cardio is necessary. I WILL lose 60 lbs by spring.

Good luck! Fill up on plenty of protein and drink lots of water.

Mike McLoughlin

Nice! I should start training to run a 5k one of these days. I've never been a distance guy...my whole life I've played fast twitch sports. Would be interesting to see what I could do in an endurance race.

Chest and Shoulders today. Good workout.

It's takes some endurance, but a 5K is pretty easy.

Good luck! Fill up on plenty of protein and drink lots of water.

Will do. Cutting sweets for me is the biggie, especially this time of year.

- Shane

Stronglifts 5x5 today:

Squat 195lb

Bench 120lb

Barbell Row 140lb

@Slice of Life e tips on diet.  I have been following a paleo diet successfully for the last few years.  Now that I've started lifting I've been haphazardly adding carbs to up my calorie intake, unsuccessfully.  I need to get more disciplined with the diet.  I hate the idea of tracking, I have loved the paleo diet as I've remained lean without ever counting or tracking anything, looks like that'll have to change if I want to gain muscle.

- Mark

Stronglifts 5x5 today:

Squat 195lb

Bench 120lb

Barbell Row 140lb

@Slice of Life - thanks for the tips on diet.  I have been following a paleo diet successfully for the last few years.  Now that I've started lifting I've been haphazardly adding carbs to up my calorie intake, unsuccessfully.  I need to get more disciplined with the diet.  I hate the idea of tracking, I have loved the paleo diet as I've remained lean without ever counting or tracking anything, looks like that'll have to change if I want to gain muscle.

It's an unfortunate part of the process, but I track everything. Every day (minus some random cheat day, which I've managed to avoid for a couple of weeks).

Ryan M

3 rounds

15 shoulder flys

15 presses 95lb

30 gke

30 v ups

30 Deadlift 95lb

@Slice of Life - thanks for the tips on diet.  I have been following a paleo diet successfully for the last few years.  Now that I've started lifting I've been haphazardly adding carbs to up my calorie intake, unsuccessfully.  I need to get more disciplined with the diet.  I hate the idea of tracking, I have loved the paleo diet as I've remained lean without ever counting or tracking anything, looks like that'll have to change if I want to gain muscle.

If you don't want to track, then short term Paleo is a good way to go, easy to fill up on meats and veggies. I don't think Paleo is good long term because it's just too restrictive and isn't conducive to living in the real world. I'm not a paleo "hater" but there has to be some flexibility otherwise it can get miserable. That's why I like flexible dieting, you can fit in some goodies and still get/stay lean.

Mike McLoughlin

If you don't want to track, then short term Paleo is a good way to go, easy to fill up on meats and veggies. I don't think Paleo is good long term because it's just too restrictive and isn't conducive to living in the real world. I'm not a paleo "hater" but there has to be some flexibility otherwise it can get miserable. That's why I like flexible dieting, you can fit in some goodies and still get/stay lean.

Agreed.  I use paleo as the base of my diet and build out from there.  Pretty clean paleo during the week with some IF and then a more standard diet on the weekends.

Back on the workout topic, my squat workout yesterday felt great.  Two days of rest instead of one made a huge difference.  I have been doing Stronglifts 5x5, which has me squatting heavy 3 days per week, adding 5 pounds per workout.  I am starting to feel like that is too much strain on my body, I am performing much better after two days of rest.  I might start to modify this program to allow for more recovery and see how it goes.  Short term goal is 1.5x bodyweight squat by Christmas, longer term goal is 2x bodyweight squat by Spring.

- Mark

5x5 Front Squats 135

5x3 Deadlifts 205

5x5 Pull ups

Benchpress, medium to heavy(new PR :dance: ) back to medium weight.

50 crunches on Bosu ball

Mike McLoughlin

5x5 Front Squats 135

5x3 Deadlifts 205

5x5 Pull ups

Benchpress, medium to heavy(new PR ) back to medium weight.

50 crunches on Bosu ball

You can't post about a new PR and not give numbers...I think there's a law about that. :beer:

Ryan M