IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Updated 6i swing with better DTL camera placement.

What are you working on right now?  I notice that you have as much work as me (perhaps more) to do with that right foot through A6 and 7, but I have no idea where that is on your priority list.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks good, especially the head from A1-4.  A5-6 also better caddy view.  Hopefully seeing less push cuts.  Watch your lower back/tailbone, sticking out a little and you're sitting back on your heels.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

What are you working on right now?  I notice that you have as much work as me (perhaps more) to do with that right foot through A6 and 7, but I have no idea where that is on your priority list.

What I'm working on right now... Just trying to get back into a regular practice routine.  And focus on feeling comfortable with a club in my hand again. I'm starting to feel better after putting in several range sessions...

When I'm in the session, my primary focus is getting my address posture and handle placement correct.  Getting spacing from the ball has been critical for me to get clean contact - and get the proper ball flight (height).

Once I feel comfortable at address, then my primary focus shifts to just trying to maintain a steady head (balance) and get squaty through impact...

But I took so much time away from regular practice, that I need to get my hands educated again.  And really feel the club loading to control the face.  Right now, I'm just trying to get comfortable again with my base swing pattern and know my pivot and early extension issues are rearing their ugly head.

Looking at it on film, here are a few things I notice....

1.) My left wrist cock at A3 looks f'd up.  The shaft is laid off - and it needs to be more on plane (vertical) as I move into A4.

2.) My shoulder turn / upper thoracic needs to have less extension - causes my right arm to get behind my shirt seam at A4.

3.) A5+++ all kinds of badness starts to happen on my lower half.

Evolvr may have something else to add in terms of priorities?  I'm going to upload today's swing and see what they say.

Originally Posted by mvmac

Hopefully seeing less push cuts.  Watch your lower back/tailbone, sticking out a little and you're sitting back on your heels.

Push cuts are gone.  I think it's because my grip is strong?  When I start fiddling/weakening my attachment, is when I really start hitting push cuts.  I've found that when I do a slight preset hip bump, I can hit the push draw to a straight draw more accurately/often.

I think my tailbone is maybe sticking out because I'm trying to get low at address?  By squating more - it has helped me get my ball flight up which was a major issue for me - especially as the club lengthened.  But by getting lower at address, I've seemed to have solved some of those issues?  Maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about here... But it's something that seems to be working for me.

It looks like you use the hands and arms to much to initiate the swing, then bring the upper body in too late. That might be what gets the right arm a bit too far back.

Driver: 10.5* callaway Razr Hawk Tour - 350 yards(usually into the wind, it can be windy here. at least 400 with a little wind behind me)

Hybrids: 2 and 3 callaway Hybrid razr tour (312 and 287 respectively)

Irons: 3i-10i callaway forged standard length(278, 263, 250, 235, 221, 213, 201, 190)

Wedges: callaway jaws cc 52* 12 approach, 56* 16 sand, 60* 13 lob (0-185)

Odyssey Black tour #9 putter(5 ft, i'm always at least within 5 feet on my approach shot)

I wonder who on this forum is a PGA tour pro, disguised as a normal player.. 

2013: play in the US amateur qualifier

• Administrator

More turn, arms doing nothing and the upper back feeling like it stays rounded or hunched over the entire time, and slide LONGER with way less THRUST on the downswing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

More turn, arms doing nothing and the upper back feeling like it stays rounded or hunched over the entire time, and slide LONGER with way less THRUST on the downswing.

Thanks for the comment Erik.

I tried to get my arms to be more passive and use my upper trunk to turn through the ball on my recent range session.

Really tried to concentrate on the 'less thrust' piece... And felt like my tempo was a lot better, which led to improved ball striking and longer carry distances on the range.  I'll get my camera out and see what it looks like and repost soon.

Really tried to work on my pitched elbow over the last several range sessions... The feel I have going almost feels like I have no right arm action at all in the back swing.  I can really nail it with the mirror, not so much with the club on the range, but it definitely looks better than previous sessions.  Gonna keep rolling with this for awhile and see where it takes me.

• Administrator

Really tried to work on my pitched elbow over the last several range sessions... The feel I have going almost feels like I have no right arm action at all in the back swing.  I can really nail it with the mirror, not so much with the club on the range, but it definitely looks better than previous sessions.  Gonna keep rolling with this for awhile and see where it takes me.

Low turning rate. Keep increasing hip turn to speed up torso turn rates, will help keep right upper arm more on the front of your chest.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My hips/abdominal turn rates are definitely off and not in sync with my upper torso/arms... And I can see that as you point that flaw out.

Could it be a physiology flaw?  It's like my upper turn rates have more degrees of freedom, where my lower is more restricted.  Any suggestion on how to get more flexibility in that lower hip/ab/glute region?  Any iso drills to get them firing and turning without restriction?

I gotta hit the gym... My belly bomb appears to be holding me back!!

• Administrator

My hips/abdominal turn rates are definitely off and not in sync with my upper torso/arms... And I can see that as you point that flaw out.

Could it be a physiology flaw?  It's like my upper turn rates have more degrees of freedom, where my lower is more restricted.  Any suggestion on how to get more flexibility in that lower hip/ab/glute region?  Any iso drills to get them firing and turning without restriction?

You're not understanding. Your torso is turning too slowly too. Your entire body is turning too slowly. So you're forced to get depth with your hands, and you use your elbows, etc. to do that.

TURN your hips TO TURN your torso FASTER, sooner, etc. Your ARMS are getting out of sync with your TORSO turning because you don't TURN fast enough (your hips OR your torso).

You should be almost completely turned (hips and shoulders) by A3.

When you say torso... Upper torso looks like it is turning... So are you referring to lower torso aka abdominal area?  That area looks restricted - along with the hips.  I'll work on getting that right hip deeper, and faster during the A1 to A4 piece to help keep that right elbow on my right pec.

• Administrator

When you say torso... Upper torso looks like it is turning... So are you referring to lower torso aka abdominal area?  That area looks restricted - along with the hips.  I'll work on getting that right hip deeper, and faster during the A1 to A4 piece to help keep that right elbow on my right pec.

Shawn, I mean your bleeping torso.

I'll copy and paste, but this time I'll make it bold: You should be almost completely turned (hips and shoulders) by A3.
In other words (again): ALL OF YOUR TURNING RATES ARE TOO SLOW. When your hips turn faster, your torso should (ideally) turn faster too. Less with your arms, more with your turn.

P.S. You're having an extended brain fart. My first post said " Low turning rate. Keep increasing hip turn to speed up torso turn rates , will help keep right upper arm more on the front of your chest. ". C'mon man!

• Upvote 1

Good candidate for The Sheath?

Has really helped me ^ my turn rates.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Stretch

Good candidate for The Sheath?

Yes. We've been trying to get the stupid product made for the past 16 months…

Swing is getting better...  With this improved swing pattern that I'm working on... I feel like it is very, very limited right arm action.  More torso and hips.

One problem that I have is that when I'm hitting the ball off of the mats... I feel like I'm getting steep at times and can feel the club kind of crash into the mat.  I haven't hit off of grass yet with this modified swing... But from the mats, it feels steep.  Any comments/suggestions on how to maintain low point with a centered pivot and shallow out my AoA?

I also need to work on my grip pressure and lever action... I know my grip pressure is probably too strong.  A swing thought I'm trying to ingrain is to get more Duffner.  But it is hard because I get to the top and it's almost like I panic.  And then try and accelerate the club as fast as I can through the ball.  My tempo needs a lot of work.... Maybe if I worked on my finish pose/posture - it would clean some of that tempo up?

Fun times!