IGNORED

My Swing (Beachcomber)

Beachcomber

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

Cool.  Thanks for the sanity check.  I hit (if you can even call it that - more like missed) ~ 15 balls doing that drill with my 3W yesterday, and gave up. LOL

This is what I looked like on the range during that part of the session...

Yeah you just can't create enough speed from A6, also club doesn't have enough loft to really get anything out of it.  Longest club I would that drill with is a 6 or 7 iron

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Be careful with that video of Mike's, big part of getting the right arm into pitch is how it straightens down and how the body gives it space.  He's demonstrating it with too much bend.  How do you do it?  Take it to 4, flex the left knee a little, keep the left hip low, left shoulder low, completely straighten the right arm down.  Where's the right elbow? This pic is more for education [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66617/] [/URL] Here's what I see that you can fix with your swing with a few range sessions.  I would recommend at A1 feeling some pressure towards the inside of your left foot.  Help the knee linkage to keep the right hip turning.  Would also be good to just try and film some, even with a stick behind you, could be on the ground.  Get the right cheek to the stick.  I think you'll notice the weight will "fall" left rather than having to shift it left. Camera angle is off on the right, but it's kinda cool lol  Grant and Mac (Top secret) [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66620/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66619/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66618/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66625/] [/URL] CH3, similar body type, hitting a longer club [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66624/] [/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/66623/] [/URL]

Really good information here. One question I have is to get the right arm in a better position at A6 should the left arm be out more? Or is this how the body will respond when the right leg is straighter as you suggest?

Michael

Cool.  Thanks for the sanity check.  I hit (if you can even call it that - more like missed) ~ 15 balls doing that drill with my 3W yesterday, and gave up. LOL

This is what I looked like on the range during that part of the session...

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yeah you just can't create enough speed from A6, also club doesn't have enough loft to really get anything out of it.  Longest club I would that drill with is a 6 or 7 iron

If this drill is similar to one I've attempted myself, I know what you guys mean.  I tried it with my 3w about 3 times and just gave up, assuming it wasn't meant for the longer shafted clubs.  Plus I didn't want the people next to me to think I was a scrub

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

If this drill is similar to one I've attempted myself, I know what you guys mean.  I tried it with my 3w about 3 times and just gave up, assuming it wasn't meant for the longer shafted clubs.  Plus I didn't want the people next to me to think I was a scrub

The drill that I do is really two-fold.... 2nd Accumulator (snap release) and try and get the right elbow into my belly.

1.)

This creates a very powerful strike - at least for me as it increases clubhead speed.

But I mix it in with a bit of this drill...

2.) Sequence Drill - but instead of starting at A4 (top) like Foley does - I do it more between A5 (left arm parallel to the ground) and A6 (shaft parallel to the ground) but with a small little start-up like Dana does in the first video.

Again my focus is on getting that right elbow in front of the trail thigh (right) and into my belly.  Without casting - and maximizing my 2nd accumulator.

As mvmac pointed out... It doesn't work very well with a 3W - at least the right elbow location is going to not be as into the belly. So now I'm just going to focus on this type of drill with my 6i and shorter...  And save me some frustration at the range!!

The drill that I do is really two-fold.... 2nd Accumulator (snap release) and try and get the right elbow into my belly.

1.)

This creates a very powerful strike - at least for me as it increases clubhead speed.

What forces this?  Increasing the "2nd accumulator" and/or keeping your left shoulder down?  Which one is a prerequisite to doing the drill properly?

And please respond within the next 45 minutes so that I'm not practicing incorrectly at the range tonight

What forces this?  Increasing the "2nd accumulator" and/or keeping your left shoulder down?  Which one is a prerequisite to doing the drill properly?

And please respond within the next 45 minutes so that I'm not practicing incorrectly at the range tonight

Do exactly what Dana does at 0:58 of the video.  Just do that movement from 1:01 to 1:02 over and over.  That is a great drill.  If you really want to get geeky, then watch this to better understand a 'snap release'.... Or 'how' to maximize lag - which ties into the 2nd accumulator (The Golfing Machine terminology).

Here is another video - sorry but I laugh at Yoda every time I see this video.  But he does a solid job of showing how simple the left wrist uncocking can be.  It is a vertical wrist hinge... Think of the clubs grip as a grip of a hammer.  You are releasing that into the ball.

Do exactly what Dana does at 0:58 of the video.  Just do that movement from 1:01 to 1:02 over and over.  That is a great drill.

I struggled a lot with it.  In the video, Dana actually has a less than 90 degree angle for the 2nd accumulator thingie and I can't even replicate that.  And then it was hard for me to make solid contact after replicating it.  I'm sure I was doing a couple things wrong but I'll have to record myself attempting it at some point.  On the positive side the full swing was a lot improved from last week, so I just need to keep working at getting the proper angle and holding it near/through impact.

Originally Posted by mchepp

Really good information here. One question I have is to get the right arm in a better position at A6 should the left arm be out more? Or is this how the body will respond when the right leg is straighter as you suggest?

The difference is the amount the body is inclined to the ground, Rock on the right is more "bent over".  His head hasn't come off the wall.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

I struggled a lot with it.  In the video, Dana actually has a less than 90 degree angle for the 2nd accumulator thingie and I can't even replicate that.  And then it was hard for me to make solid contact after replicating it.  I'm sure I was doing a couple things wrong but I'll have to record myself attempting it at some point.  On the positive side the full swing was a lot improved from last week, so I just need to keep working at getting the proper angle and holding it near/through impact.

With your left hand grip, stretch out that thumb, don't do the short thumb thing that Hogan liked

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Beachcomber, I know this is your swing thread so if you would rather me discuss some place else I am happy to start a new thread. Just let me know. I just have many of the same issues you are battling. [quote name="mvmac" url="/t/54404/my-swing-beachcomber/360#post_801654"] The difference is the amount the body is inclined to the ground, Rock on the right is more "bent over".  His head hasn't come off the wall. [/quote] I understand the inclination point but not the head on the wall comment. I can keep my head on the wall and still early extend. My question is, does the right knee kick in because we have to early extend because we are too bunched up with the left arm being too close (or too far in) from A5-A7. I have the same question in the case of Beach. Adding A5.7 to show hand position difference.

Michael

Originally Posted by mvmac

Camera angle is off on the right, but it's kinda cool lol  Grant and Mac (Top secret)

CH3, similar body type, hitting a longer club

Range session tomorrow.  Going to film my ass and see what progress I can make on this pivot breakdown.

Getting better.  Made some baby steps this week - and my lines were a lot tighter.  I'm hitting my shorter irons so pure right now... Still working on the longer sticks.  But know the changes I've been working on are getting me setup to make a break through.  This was the best I felt hitting balls in at least 3 to 4mo.

^^^ Good to hear.  Myself, I had some success with the couple drills in the earlier videos the first two days, and after that it has been a struggle.  Too out of sync.  Not worried because I know my brain is working overtime while making these adjustments.  Looking forward to this week's practice.

So, are you slacking or what?  You think your measly 4 handicap is good enough now?

So, are you slacking or what?  You think your measly 4 handicap is good enough now?

Ha. I'm playing to a 5 right now... It is pathetic.  I'm not playing enough golf.  That is the problem.  So I get into situations where I fumble and piss shots away so easily.  Pathetic really, because I can hit shots that are text book for many holes.  Then proceed to find a hole and do something that looks like a 20 capper.

Ha. I'm playing to a 5 right now... It is pathetic.  I'm not playing enough golf.  That is the problem.  So I get into situations where I fumble and piss shots away so easily.  Pathetic really, because I can hit shots that are text book for many holes.  Then proceed to find a hole and do something that looks like a 20 capper.

Boy does THAT ever sound familiar!  If misery really does love company, at least know that you are NOT alone......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1