IGNORED

Leather Golf Bag

Note: This thread is 3152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have been on a search that has evolved into a quest. I am looking for an "old school" look with todays design features. Simply put I'm looking for a leather version of the Sun Mountain Hybrid. Link to the SM bag is below. Anybody ever hear of anything like this? I think I am going to check into some local shops that specialize in leather products to see if I can get a quote. I'm sure the quote will be for an outrageous sum but man what a cool bag that would be!

http://www.sunmountain.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view;=productdetails&virtuemart;_product_id=73&virtuemart;_category_id=9&Itemid;=18

Here are some but for the price, I would be suspect of the leather quality.  Good leather is pricey, even from China, and these bags require a fair amount of it:  http://www.leathergolfbags.net/

Just the other night I came across some top quality leather bags but they were extremely expensive.  Of course, cannot remember the brands but do know they were about $1500.

Always changing:

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5º

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19º & 21º

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48º, 54º, 62º

First round: February 2011

I don't know if you can find anything like the sun mountain stand bag, but I would check with these guys.   Their stuff looks pretty nice!

www.themackenziegolfbagcompany.com/

In 10 years, I haven't seen a leather bag like the SM Hybrid -- the mackenzie bag is the one I've seen posted several times.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

In 10 years, I haven't seen a leather bag like the SM Hybrid -- the mackenzie bag is the one I've seen posted several times.

No kidding - why would someong even make a bag like that? It would be twice as heavy and 10 times (or more) as expensive.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Sun Mountain made a classic cart and classic carry/stand bag in 2004-05.  They were the only bag like it I've ever seen, and they only made one run.  It was the same size and shape as a modern lightweight carry bag, with a single long bottom pocket, a ball pocket, tee pocket, and lined valuables pocket.  They made an all-leather bag, a canvas stand bag with leather trim, and the same bag without the stand.  The all-leather version was $325ish, and the stand/carry versions were just over $200 new in 2004.

I picked up a NOS green poly-canvas stand bag on e-bay a few months ago for $125.  Had been sitting in some golf shop in Alabama for 7 years as a floor/display model.  Only slightly heavier than a modern carry bag due to the blend of classic styling and modern materials.  The legs are some kind of hickory-veneer over aluminum; it has genuine buffalo-leather trim and brass fittings, but the bulk of the material is poly-canvas.

Pretty cool bag.  Keep an eye out on e-bay; one might pop up from time to time.  You can still find links to these bags online (google sun moutain classic golf bag) but rarely for sale.  I've never seen one in the wild; in fact, mine is the only one I've ever seen.  I wanted one of these back in 2004 when they came out, hesitated for a year, and then they disappeared from the market.  Was looking for a new bag earlier this year and went hunting for this specific bag online; took me a couple months to find it.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

No kidding - why would someong even make a bag like that? It would be twice as heavy and 10 times (or more) as expensive.

Originally Posted by k-troop

Sun Mountain made a classic cart and classic carry/stand bag in 2004-05.  They were the only bag like it I've ever seen, and they only made one run.  It was the same size and shape as a modern lightweight carry bag, with a single long bottom pocket, a ball pocket, tee pocket, and lined valuables pocket.  They made an all-leather bag, a canvas stand bag with leather trim, and the same bag without the stand.  The all-leather version was $325ish, and the stand/carry versions were just over $200 new in 2004.

I picked up a NOS green poly-canvas stand bag on e-bay a few months ago for $125.  Had been sitting in some golf shop in Alabama for 7 years as a floor/display model.  Only slightly heavier than a modern carry bag due to the blend of classic styling and modern materials.  The legs are some kind of hickory-veneer over aluminum; it has genuine buffalo-leather trim and brass fittings, but the bulk of the material is poly-canvas.

Pretty cool bag.  Keep an eye out on e-bay; one might pop up from time to time.  You can still find links to these bags online (google sun moutain classic golf bag) but rarely for sale.  I've never seen one in the wild; in fact, mine is the only one I've ever seen.  I wanted one of these back in 2004 when they came out, hesitated for a year, and then they disappeared from the market.  Was looking for a new bag earlier this year and went hunting for this specific bag online; took me a couple months to find it.

You had to look for a couple months to find one, and they're now discontinued. Too bad because I'd love to have one!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

You had to look for a couple months to find one, and they're now discontinued. Too bad because I'd love to have one!!!

As we all know, golf requires patience.    If you keep your eye out for a few weeks, I'll bet you'll find one.  I never understood why Sun Mountain only made that bag for one year.

Kevin

• 4 years later...
20 minutes ago, tri-golf said:

to bring this thread up to date, Sun Mountain has indeed brought back the Leather golf bag collection. Check it out -- http://www.sunmountain.com/leather-series.html

Fantastic find!  I loved the look of that classic all-leather bag, and especially that it wasn't the size of a tour bag.

$500 is a good mid-road price for an all-leather bag with a custom feel.  However, I will say this:  the Sun Mountain Classic that I acquired NOS in 2011 is no longer functioning due to crappy zippers.  Both the main ball pocket and the side tee pocket (the two pockets you use most often) have come apart.  They never opened and closed that well to begin with.  It's possible I just got a crappy bag, and that's why it was still NOS 8 years later when I bought it.  But before I'd drop $500 on this bag I'd be sure to test out the zippers quite a bit.

I'd also avoid the stand bag in this version.  Let's face it:  you're not carrying this thing around the course, and the legs just get in the way when you try to put it on a cart.

Kevin

33 minutes ago, tri-golf said:

to bring this thread up to date, Sun Mountain has indeed brought back the Leather golf bag collection. Check it out -- http://www.sunmountain.com/leather-series.html

Kind of weird the Cart bag is listed at 4.5lb since the Sunday bag is 4.25lb

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

17 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Kind of weird the Cart bag is listed at 4.5lb since the Sunday bag is 4.25lb

If you look at them they're basically the same bag.  Same diameter, use the same cover, come in the exact same color patterns.  Only difference appears to be the pockets. 

Can I please add that I really, really want one of these bags.

Kevin

3 hours ago, k-troop said:

Can I please add that I really, really want one of these bags.

I agree, they look beautiful. Hard for me to justify the price tag, but they are wonderful to look at.

Michael

9 minutes ago, mchepp said:

I agree, they look beautiful. Hard for me to justify the price tag, but they are wonderful to look at.

It's half the price of the Mackenzie.  I would actually seriously consider a Mackenzie if it was more than just a trumped up Sunday bag.  I think the Sun Mountain would be worth the price tag if you could realistically expect it to last 20 years, which is exactly what I would expect of a well made leather product.

Kevin

Note: This thread is 3152 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!