IGNORED

TRUE Shoes, Barefoot, and More

Note:Β This thread is 2247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Just remember that the PHX is more of a street shoe. It doesn't have the same waterproof guarantees, etc. I love mine for walking around town, and think they look great. They have the same sole as the other shoes, etc, too.

Thanks. Went with those to give true a try. I'll be taking them to mesquite next week, high and dry:). I'll stick with my adidas for my regular winter golf. I wear out a pair a year walking the course.

FINALLY ordered my phx white/blue to upgrade my original white/black True Tour. The thing is, my original pair is holding up so well I was hesitant to even order the new ones. I have put A TON of mileage in my TRUEs (got them back when they only took pre-orders), even wearing them to work on occasion (on my feet for 12 hour shifts, feel great). My original pair will be relegated to a range shoe when the new ones come in. Can't wait, these things look beautiful.

white-navy-cat1.jpg

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

Originally Posted by saevel25

Usually the time i replace shoes is when the waterproofing wears off. I doubt you will wear down the shoes any time soon just playing golf. No way grass has that sort of wear on the sole of a shoe. I think golf spikes get worn out faster because you got to clean them, and they get twisted and torn from the golf swing. These spikeless shoes wont have that problem.

My only concern is traction in wet weather, on a fairway it could get tricky. But i love any shoe that is closer to barefoot in style. I love my nike Free shoes, they are so comfy.. I find if i wear my other shoes and go back to the nike free my foot hurts during the day sine it gets weaker..

From my personal experience, the traction in wet weather is not an issue. My buddy lives in Oakland and we play courses in SF and all over the bay area, both of us wear TRUEs, and we have played in some foggy, nasty weather with lots of slippery conditions. Not one time has one of us slipped on a swing or walking on a weird lie. Now, these are the original version shoes but I suspect the 2012 traction gets similar results.

If only I could get used to barefoot running with the Vibram five fingers. Playing golf with a "barefoot" shoe has changed my experience for the better, no question. I hated the soft spikes, hell, I've slipped in those just walking on concrete before. And my friend who I mentioned above has had knee issues and surgery and he said he felt the spikes were giving him knee pain due to them grabbing the ground. Nothing but good things about TRUE.

Callaway Org14 Sport w/ Clicgear Cart:

Callaway X 460 9* - Callaway X 15* - TaylorMade 19*/21* Hybrid - Callaway Diablo Forged 4-PW - Titleist 50/56/60 - Rife Cayman Brac - Bridgestone xFIXx/B330-RX - TRUE Linkswear Supporter!

They came in. Hit some balls at the range and I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to take em out on the course. So comfortable and I noticed no traction issues

After reading this thread I went out to Golfsmith and I picked up a set. Β These things are comfortable and I mean comfortable. Β I have had no slipping problems. Β And you can barely feel these things on your feet. Β I just wish they were a little better looking! Β My wife wont shut up about how ugly they are. Β But I dont care they work.

I picked up the FootJoy equivalent and am amazed at how much more comfortable they are.Β  Didn't really notice any reduced grip either.Β  It was nice getting through 18 holes without achy legs and pounding feet.Β  Doubt I will ever return to traditional golf shoes, never have cared for them.

Always changing:

Β 

Driver: Cobra S2/Nike VR Pro 10.5ΒΊ

Irons: Callaway X-20 Tour 4-9i

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19ΒΊ & 21ΒΊ

Wood: TaylorMade R11 3w

Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Wedges: Titleist Vokeys - 48ΒΊ, 54ΒΊ, 62ΒΊ

Β 

First round: February 2011

Β 

Just returned from my annual Florida golf trip....the only (golf) shoes I brought were a pair of new (last year's model) True's that I had picked up over the winter.Β  Played five days in a row and loved them.Β  They are great especially if you have a wide foot.Β  One of the courses we played had crazy fast Jack Nicklaus greens (N. Palm Beach CC).Β  It may be in my head, but I actually think it helped me to be able to "feel" the greens with my feet.

Probably won't be buying these, but the theory is good.Β  I have wide feet - my wife says I have Fred Flintstone feet - wide and square.Β  It's why I live in sandals (my favorites are ECCO - most comfortable footgear I've ever owned) most of my life, including on the golf course.Β  And when I'm not wearing sandals, I'm most often barefoot.Β  I've gone out to get the mail through snow, both sandaled and barefoot. I simply prefer it whenever possible.Β  My wife and I are moving to the Bahamas in a few weeks, and when that happens, I don't know when my feet will next have shoes on them, not even sneakers.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Jazzfan

After reading this thread I went out to Golfsmith and I picked up a set. Β These things are comfortable and I mean comfortable. Β I have had no slipping problems. Β And you can barely feel these things on your feet. Β I just wish they were a little better looking! Β My wife wont shut up about how ugly they are. Β But I dont care they work.

Funny, my wife thought they are really cool and european looking....hope that's not code for plain dorky.

I am so buying a pair of spikless shoes. If my feet hurt i am going to play horrible.. I need to really have some relax feet, i have some arch problems, so shoes are big for me..

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

The thing that stands out to me about this thread is how many folks apparentlyΒ thoughtΒ that sore feet after a round was just an unavoidable part ofΒ playing golf.Β  Β I started wearing spikeless shoes about a year and a half ago, and it completely changed my golf.Β  Before I was useless after a round--feet up on the ottoman, watching TV.Β  Now I can play 18 or 27 holes in the morning starting at sunrise, and still do whatever I want in the afternoon.

Ironically, I still usually end up with my feet on the ottoman, but it's not because they hurt!

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

A small review from me. [U]First look[/U] I'll have to be honest, they didn't look stunning. I didn't pick the best looking ones, so I knew what I was getting, but they did look a bit weird. [U]First walk[/U] Took a stride around the living room with them. The size seemed good. My feet measures 11" and I ordered 11". Felt a bit weird, like walking in loafers. What caught my attention was the space at the front of the shoe. Most shoes fit tightly around the foot, but these were pretty big, so I can move my feet around inside. [U]First round[/U] Here is where the Linkswear shine. Walking in them felt incredible. Not a whole lot of soles and support stuff, so you get closer to the ground. Got used to this feeling pretty fast. My feet felt great all 18 holes. They are usually a bit beat up after 3 hours of golf, but when I got home, it didn't feel like I'd been playing golf at all. I won't go too much into details, but I can definitely vouch for the other reviews I've read in here. The shoes are really comfortable. Slipping was not really an issue. The course was at times soggy today, but there was absolutely no danger of slipping. If I slip in these shoes, I'm standing on a sidehill lie and would risk slipping with any shoe. [U]Final thoughts[/U] Will I use these all the time? Most likely. Would I recommend them to others? Without a moments hesitation. I own a small collection of golf shoes and these are without a doubt the best I've worn so far. I'm so pleased with the shoes from today's round that I consider ordering another pair right away. One with a bit more style for sunny days. Thumbs up! :dance:

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

My only complaint is the PHX that I ordered was much too big compared to my prior shoes. They were great about exchanging them. I almost think the shoe is still a size too big but I have a feeling that it would be a hair to small. If you have any way to try it on before you buy, I would highly recommend it rather than just ordering your normal size.

The full swing is good but to me the best part as that I feel the slope of the green better. I don't know if it is going to result in better putting but I feel a lot more confidant in my read. As far as general use, I am not sure I would want to wear them to walk on concrete all day (they don't have a ton of cushioning. For walking on grass that isn't an issue) but they are definitely comfortable and stylish enough that if I am going to the range I feel fine running a few chores before or after without switching shoes.

Golf Channel had some interview with Arnold Palmer and he recommend the heaviest shoe possible to give you a more stable base. I sort of feel bad about disagree with the king but I am going to go with the theory that he grew up with super heavy shoes and thats why he prefers them.

Originally Posted by VMAN

They came in. Hit some balls at the range and I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to take em out on the course. So comfortable and I noticed no traction issues

• Administrator

Originally Posted by x129

As far as general use, I am not sure I would want to wear them to walk on concrete all day (they don't have a ton of cushioning. For walking on grass that isn't an issue) but they are definitely comfortable and stylish enough that if I am going to the range I feel fine running a few chores before or after without switching shoes.

You'd be surprised.

Seen plenty of studies which show that people will actually land with more force when they anticipate softer landing than firmer landing.

For example, one recent study had people jumping from a foot or two in the air onto some padding below. The force of their landing was measured. People were made to jump to a "control" piece of foam (like gymnastics mats or something), then told that the next mattress thingy was "firmer" or "softer." When the people anticipated a firmer mattress, they landed softer . When they anticipated the softer mattress, they landed firmer .

Now, it does require at least a minimal level of "foot fitness" but really, I think most people are fine with that.

"As comfortable as a pair of slippers" is a common phrase - most slippers don't have a ton of padding either.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Just played five rounds in three days with the PHX.Β  They performed great, I couldn't be happier.

btw I exchanged the original pair that I had bought in my standard size to a pair a half size smaller and they fit great.Β  They are more roomy than a traditional shoe, making them seem a bit big at first, but you get used to it fast.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by VMAN

Just played five rounds in three days with the PHX.Β  They performed great, I couldn't be happier.

btw I exchanged the original pair that I had bought in my standard size to a pair a half size smaller and they fit great.Β  They are more roomy than a traditional shoe, making them seem a bit big at first, but you get used to it fast.

Yes, your feet should be able to expand a little.

I haven't worn my PHX on the golf course - I might never - because I consider them a "street shoe" or something. They're not as waterproof, for example.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

I haven't worn my PHX on the golf course - I might never - because I consider them a "street shoe" or something. They're not as waterproof, for example.

Are they less waterproof than other non-waterproof shoes out there? As long as the water don't soak through the shole or the edge of the sole, it works on the course on days without rain.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note:Β This thread is 2247 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!