IGNORED

Honest Answer?

Note: This thread is 4475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Shorty

But people here seem to persist with the belief that with time and dedication they could all become pros. If only.

After their fitting and a lesson of course...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Quote:

But people here seem to persist with the belief that with time and dedication they could all become pros. If only.

After their fitting and a lesson of course...

I could be wrong but it does seem to be the worst players worrying about their launch monitor data and fretting over yet another unsuccessful driver fitting experience.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I could be wrong but it does seem to be the worst players worrying about their launch monitor data and fretting over yet another unsuccessful driver fitting experience.

As well as the gut wrenching choices between "tour balls" which have such a huge impact upon their scores - especially after they have decided that Vokey wedges feel "dead" and that they prefer the "accuracuy" of other brands.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sean_miller

As well as the gut wrenching choices between "tour balls" which have such a huge impact upon their scores - especially after they have decided that Vokey wedges feel "dead" and that they prefer the "accuracuy" of other brands.

If that Vokey has a shaft that's too stiff, or too soft, that tour ball's going left - go get fitted!!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Kieran123

I would say getting from a 9 to scratch is A LOT easier than scratch to say a +4

Fair point.

Isn't it great that without the benefit of actually seeing a player swing a club, one can have "no doubt" that he can become a scratch golfer?

If you have a look at the guy in the "Dan Plan" , despite him devoting 10,000 hours or whatever it is you can see in the videos that the fellow is fundamentally uncoordinated and would probably never become a single figure handicapper no matter how much time he devotes to his (obviously unachievable) goal.

You either have it or you don't.

I have looked at the guy from the Dan Plan and I believe his work will end with him being a scratch golfer. Likely not much better, but I believe he will hit scratch after 10,000 hours. I know some REALLY uncoordinated guys who are scratch golfers. I highly doubt there is any correlation between how coordinated a person is and their handicap. The trouble you are having is that you are connecting that a scratch golfer and a pro are similar. That assumption is laughable. I do have no doubt that he could become scratch if he put in enough work, but that is not to say that I have no doubt he will become a pro.

I am curious as to what you what you believe "it" is? Someone needs the "it" factor. Can you tell me what "it" is?

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We have a kid at our club who has not turned 17 as of yet. He does come from a family of golfers. His mother is off 4 and Im not too sure about his dad, but both are astute golfers. At the end of 2010, he was a double figure handicapper, 11-12 or something, now just 14 months down the track, he is off +1. To me, that is a talent. Talent can not be taught. Talent is a gift. To go from 30+ to single figures, to me, also shouts talent. What you need now is someone to hone it and tighten your game up. It can be very easy for a good golfer to shave shots off his or her handicap every month if they are working on the right things. Hitting hundreds of balls is no good if you are not working on good swing technique. There is another thread doing the rounds about something very similar and I say the same thing. I was always a decent golfer growing up, but I did not have the natural ability to take it further. I worked hard, but it was not enough. You'll know very soon if you have what it takes to go to the next level, and sounds like are on your way. Good luck..

Originally Posted by mchepp

I am curious as to what you what you believe "it" is? Someone needs the "it" factor. Can you tell me what "it" is?

Well "it" certainly isn't looking as if you've got two left feet and two left arms and a complete and utter lack of grace and timing. And no possibility of generating any power at all.

If you seriously think that this guy has the ability to become anything other than a mediocre golfer with an ugly swing, you must be looking at a different "Dan Plan". Dan doesn't have anything resembling a visible aptitude for golf. Yes..  Iknow that some great golfers have ugly swings, but they have timing.

I would love to know what you are seing that makes you think that he could become a scratch golfer. What do you see?

As for your imagining what I'm thinking and then saying that a certain assumption that you think I have is "laughable"........that's a bit odd.

I have played with numerous scratch and professional players in over 40 years of playing golf, and I can assure you that although Dan seems like a nice guy his chances of becoming a scratch golfer are zero.

Originally Posted by Domenic

I don't want to hijack your thread like many have done to me but......DAMN! Shorty that's cold

But true nevertheless.

Unfortunately, Domenic, it is quite possible that you are revealing more about yourself than you realise.

As for your comment about not "knowing you", reread your own posts and try to imagine the face that you are willingly presenting to the forum. I am sure that you're a decent young man, but you have to moderate your excessive mood swings and contradictory statements. One day you're saying that you've reconciled yourself to just becoming better, next thing, we're off to Augusta and the next day you're trying to curry favour with those who are less blunt than I, but with the same opinion and the next day you're sprouting obscure and juvenile (fair enough) quotations at us.

I think I've got a fair idea of who you are.

You can call me aggressive or intolerant, but people here know who I am and what to expect - and generally, you'll find that I'm judged as harsh but fair.

• Upvote 1

Appearance of coordination is deceiving.  If you watched Charles Barkley play basketball you'd think he was very coordinated but with a golf club he's a mess.  There's many that question if Hogan would have had any success as a pro golfer if not for his determination and time invested in developing his swing, which didn't come naturally to him.

Joe Paradiso

I usually post this on these types of threads.  Just go out and enjoy the game.  Let it happen if it is going to happen.

Growing up, I thought I could play professional tennis.  I even went to Bolleteiri Academy in Florida, studying 3 hours and playing tennis 7-9 hours per day.  I played #2-4 (different each year) for a well known D1 school.  I was the best player in my State four years in a row, and senior year of HS I won a triple (state HS doubles, state open singles, state HS singles).  I was the best player at my tennis club.

I had no shot at all.  None.  I lost 8-2 to Roddick when he was a junior (and considerably younger than me).  To really drive the point home, I lost to the 1999 Austrailian Juniors runner open 8-0 (you don't start playing sets in tennis until after high school).  Eight to zero.  You know where he is now?  Ranked in the mid-300s in the world, playing on mini-Tours and occasionally an ATP Tour event (i look him up from time to time).  He has not played in, let alone competed to win, a major.  He's been doing it now for close to 10 years.  He dominated me, and he didn't make it.

It is insanely hard to be a pro at golf or tennis.  Unlike, say, basketball, where there are 7-9 leagues who pay six-figured salaries as a matter of routine, you need to be in the top 150 to really make money and not be nervous.  Its really hard.  You have no idea how good you have to be.  I was the best player in my State, one of the top 2 at my SEC college, and the best player at my club for a decade, and I didn't *come close* to "making it".

Good luck, but do it because its fun.  Life has a way of working out.  Don't force it.

• Upvote 1

But true nevertheless.

Unfortunately, Domenic, it is quite possible that you are revealing more about yourself than you realise.

As for your comment about not "knowing you", reread your own posts and try to imagine the face that you are willingly presenting to the forum. I am sure that you're a decent young man, but you have to moderate your excessive mood swings and contradictory statements. One day you're saying that you've reconciled yourself to just becoming better, next thing, we're off to Augusta and the next day you're trying to curry favour with those who are less blunt than I, but with the same opinion and the next day you're sprouting obscure and juvenile (fair enough) quotations at us.

I think I've got a fair idea of who you are.

You can call me aggressive or intolerant, but people here know who I am and what to expect - and generally, you'll find that I'm judged as harsh but fair.

Sorry I've been on my period lately

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

And the same way people handle your assho- I mean bluntness, people will hopefully get used to my humor, like on the Augusta post. See earlier in this post, I just did it then

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Originally Posted by Domenic

Sorry I've been on my period lately

Precisely the kind of offensive and tasteless comment which I have referred to. How many women would be amused by this sort of "humour'? And all the more disappointing, coming from one so young.

Just think of how good of players the caddies on tour alone are, and they carry bags for a living.  The people we watch play sports on TV all have a little something extra that goes beyond just working hard.  It is OK to set your goals high though, but do it because you love it, not because you want to live in a 7 mil mansion like Phil.  If you have that little something, it will come out, if not well this game can still take you to great places and make you a very good living.

Note: This thread is 4475 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!