IGNORED

My Swing (dustinbr1030)

dustinbr1030
Note: This thread is 4382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New to the forum and thought I would post a video of my swing.  Looking for as much advise as possible so don't be shy.  I played quite a bit of golf when I was younger, just recently started playing again.  Although I must say I have become addicted and have been playing around 3-4 times a week for the past few months.  Looking to improve as much as possible so any advise will be appreciated.

Originally Posted by dustinbr1030

Looking to improve as much as possible so any advise will be appreciated.

Back swing needs more upper body rotation, more shoulder turn. (Jim McLean's x-factor). You're getting up at impact, trying to pull the ball into the air.

I'm sorry, not to be rude. But you're a 7.3, with that swing? Your short game must be amazing.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

I'm sorry, not to be rude. But you're a 7.3, with that swing? Your short game must be amazing.

In what way could that possibly not be considered extremely rude.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Thank you for the recommendation SHARK already took a visit to the range trying to get my shoulders more into my swing. I think I may just end up taking lessons. If anyone has ne other advise or training tips let me know. As for my credibility as a 7 handicap I'm not sure why I would make that up, but thank you for the advise on my swing or lack there of. U know that's why I am always hesitant to participate in these forums, cuz someone always feels the need to rip on others for self satisfaction.

Originally Posted by dustinbr1030

Thank you for the recommendation SHARK already took a visit to the range trying to get my shoulders more into my swing. I think I may just end up taking lessons. If anyone has ne other advise or training tips let me know. As for my credibility as a 7 handicap I'm not sure why I would make that up, but thank you for the advise on my swing or lack there of. U know that's why I am always hesitant to participate in these forums, cuz someone always feels the need to rip on others for self satisfaction.

I think they feel the protection of their computer screen as they spit out their jibes. I call them the monitor heroes.

You have a solid repeating swing that has power and fluidity. If your hips lower body/hips were to drive a little more through impact that would help control your pulling up tendency. BTW do you hit them thin or fat on bad shots?

This video shows a drill that would give you a feel for this...

Try and focus on rotating over your right hip.  You can see that you "sway" away from the ball on on backswing.  More shoulder turn should help your pelvis rotate as well.  FYI your pelvis should rotate on an inclined plane left lower then right.  Similar to the shoulder plane.  Theres a lot of good info on these things.  Explore the site you'll find them.

PS don't be afraid of posting here.  There will always be people who will come across rude.  Just let it slide.

[b]My Bag[/b] 1 Burgeoning mental game

Originally Posted by Apotheosis

Try and focus on rotating over your right hip.  You can see that you "sway" away from the ball on on backswing.  More shoulder turn should help your pelvis rotate as well.  FYI your pelvis should rotate on an inclined plane left lower then right.  Similar to the shoulder plane.  Theres a lot of good info on these things.  Explore the site you'll find them.

PS don't be afraid of posting here.  There will always be people who will come across rude.  Just let it slide.

I agree and also see something with the grip

dustinbr swing pic 1.jpg

Get an alignment stick or a friend to hold a shaft and have it just outside your right hip.  The hips should never touch the stick.

dustinbr swing pic 2.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well typically if I hit a poor shot it would be slightly topped and on the toe. Now that I've been adjusting my swing any bad shot will be hit completely fat. I have been really emphasizing engaging my hips which as also forced me to rotate my shoulders quite a bit more. I picked up a impact bag last night so I'm going to utilize that this evening. I will say that it's only been a few days and I've hit countless balls and spent even more time trying to analyze my swing in a slow motion practice swing. I have already seen improvemts especially with my driver I'm struggling to get the exact same swing every time with my irons for some reason. I will just keep working at it and I just scheduled some lessons but won't start until mid April. Like I said before thanks for the advise and I will try an update soon with my progress.

Your swing looks very repeatable to me.  I can see how you could be better than a 7 handicap.  If I had to guess, the best part of your game are your mid irons.  You probably hit your 8 iron 150+ with your normal swing.  Your divots looked perfect and it was crisp contact.  The thing that's most noticeable is the movement of your legs in your backswing.  When you try to hit a full swing driver, some of this extra leg movement might cost you some strokes.  I would try a drill with the same club you're using there taking an even shorter backswing and make sure your back leg doesn't break down.  It might even feel like you're leaning slightly toward the target in the backswing.  Work on that for a while until you can reach the top of your backswing without moving your right leg.

I've seen similar players with similar aggressive moves through the ball have a tough time with 50, 60, 70 yard shots.  Sometimes when you have overactive legs you generate too much power on a shorter shot.  Sometimes this makes you start to not release the club right out of fear.  I guess what I'm trying to say is hit a bunch of 50 yard shots working on really quiet legs.  This will help you in 3 ways.  It will help you to feel the rotation of your shoulders over your lower body.  It will shallow out your divots on those touch shots.  And even though you'll be practicing a 50 yard shot, the same little motion and rhythm will help with the rest of your game.  I didn't mean to keep going like this, but once I get started it's hard to stop.  Let me know if any of this is true or helps.

Lag I would have to say you are pretty spot on. The best part of my game is by far my mid irons and I hit my eight just a little over 150. I do struggle a little off the tee and my 1/2 or 3/4 swing wedge shots are a problem. I always end up crushing it or I try to hold back to much and hit the ball fat. I will practice shortening my swing in hopes of deactivating that right leg a little. I practice daily wether it's playing a practice round or hitting the range, I'm very committed to becoming as good a golfer as I can. I went this evening to the range and tried modeling my grip after the diagram showed above and out of Any changes I've been trying to make this is by far the toughest. All of this information has been very helpful.

Use more rotation, and less sway. Especially from your hips to your knees, there's a lot of sliding back on the takeaway.

Picture your spine as a steel rod going down through the top of your head and anchoring at your tailbone. That rod does not move laterally on the takeaway, but the shoulders and hips rotate around the rod. That, plus keeping more weight on the front leg should help with the sway.

Also, your right hand is pretty strong, which can inhibit the release..

dak4n6

Note: This thread is 4382 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!