IGNORED

ProV1 or Prov1X?

Note: This thread is 4534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The NXT Tours are half the price, so that's what I play, and I've always been happy with their performance overall.

I used to play the

NXT Tour as they are cheaper and have been termed as the "poor man's" ProV1. However, I was really struggling with consistency off the tee with this ball. I then started palying with various more expensive balls to see if there is a true difference ( ProV1x, HX Tour, etc..) and have found more consistency off the tee (less spin???). I am not sure yet if it is confidence or if the ball is really making a differnce...

TEE - XCG6, 13º, Matrix Ozik HD6.1, stiff
Wilson Staff - Ci11, 3-SW, TX Fligthed, stiff

Odyssey - Metal X #7, 35in

Wilson Staff - FG Tour ball 

• 4 weeks later...
I too have been struggling with this decision as well.

To me, the only improvement I find between these balls is with the driver.

V1X Pro's:
-With the driver they seem to go straighter
-The harder feel is enjoyable for me and it is a confidence booster to hear the deafening sound with the driver, just a mental thing

V1X Con's:
-Driver sends this ball way too high which on a windy day or extremely narrow fairways (like my home course) leads to problems
-Sometimes just feels clunky
-Very undesirable off the tee with irons on par 3's

V1 Pro's:
-Putts much easier
-When I hit it perfectly, the flight of the ball is perfect
-Grabs the green and doesn't let go

V1 Con's:
-Everytime I tee it up I fear I will lose it, I'm not sure if it is mental or if it is because of the spin

For how I strike the ball I am in a catch-22. My swing speed with the driver is very fast, probably too fast for the driver I bought (Cobra Speed LD M). I can knock the ball consistently in the 250-260, with a 280 drive every so often, and a 300+yd one ever other round or so; so to me that dictates I can utilize the hidden advantages of the v1x. But it just flies too high off the tee for me. I really don't need the spin of the v1 -- shaping shots really isn't my thing, and with my PW-8iron, the ball flies so high (I like it like this) and hits the green so hard that it just stays where it is (seriously, I can scan greens at my home course and point out which ball marks are mine because they are like craters on the moon) so the "Stop and Drop Green control" of the v1 really does nothing for me, I just don't like the feel of it.

Sigh.

I too have been struggling with this decision as well.

I would suggest that you match a ball to your short game and work backwards. I have a much better "feel" with the V1 than with the V1x so that's what I play. It's a personal thing with me, as I'm sure it is with everyone else. I'd pick the ball that gives you the best feel around the greens and off the putter.

In my bag:

Driver: FT-3 10° Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff
Fairway: 904F 15° Purple Ice 75 Stiff
Fairway: 904F 19° YS-6+ StiffHybrid: Idea A2 20° Aldila NV 85 StiffIrons: Silver Scot Forged MB 4-PW, Rifle 6.0 ShaftsGap Wedge: Silver Scot Forged 52Sand/Lob Wedge: Vokey SM 58.12 Put...

I'm hitting mostly NXT Tour's out of the tee box. An upgrade from the scuffies I usually use, I think I added anywhere from 20 to 50 yards to my drives, as well as being able to hold greens much better. Maybe I have a mental block about hitting Pro V1's, though - fear of losing a five dollar ball, I suppose. Never did hit 'em spectacularly.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• 4 years later...

I bought some prov1x- "practice"  balls today at Golfmart today. any body got any experience with him?? a buddy of mine plays em ans says they are as good (maybe not cosmetically) as the full price ones?

Was also hoping to take a little side spin off of my Driver and a ball that launches high isn't a bad thing for my game... any thoughts?? Do these puppies have a noticeably less amount of driver side spin?? my DR swing speed hovers right around 97 to 102 on the store machines and the dude at the store told me that I would balloon an E-5 which i was going to buy.

In my bag:
Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana Kaali'Stiff
Titleist 910F w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff
Titleist 910F Hybrid 19 degree w/ Diamana Kaali' Stiff

Titleist AP1 Irons - TT S300
Titleist Vokey SM 50, 54 & 58 - Titleist Scott Cameron Newport

Originally Posted by Sandwedge74

I bought some prov1x- "practice"  balls today at Golfmart today. any body got any experience with him?? a buddy of mine plays em ans says they are as good (maybe not cosmetically) as the full price ones?

Was also hoping to take a little side spin off of my Driver and a ball that launches high isn't a bad thing for my game... any thoughts?? Do these puppies have a noticeably less amount of driver side spin?? my DR swing speed hovers right around 97 to 102 on the store machines and the dude at the store told me that I would balloon an E-5 which i was going to buy.

I'm not good enough with my irons to notice ball differences yet so I pick the balls I drive the best with.  On drives, I definitely notice a difference between the V1 and V1X.  The V1 seems to have a lot more sidespin and I hit a lot less fairways when I hit them.  The V1X is very straight for me but for now I've found I can get about 20-30 extra yards using a distance ball like the Noodle+.

As for practice balls, everything I've read about them says that the defects in them are usually just cosmetic.  There also may be some that are slightly off on size or weight.  The consensus seems to be that if any defects are found in a sample of a lot, the entire lot is marked as x-outs, so most or maybe even all the balls in the box you buy may be defect free.  I think the reason more people don't play them for practice rounds is the stigma attached to them, that they are inferior golf balls.

I have been playing Titleist since the balata days. I have tried many other brands, but have always come back to Titleist. I agree with several of the above posts that one should select a ball from the putter / short game back to the longer shots. Depending upon the greens I play and time of year I will change from V1X to V1. I like them both, but most rounds are with the V1X.

Ping hoofer bag Ping G15 10.5* Driver, stock reg shaft Ping G15 3 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Ping G15 5 metal, Aldila 75g Stiff shaft Mizuno MP 69 3-PW irons, DG S300 shafts Mizuno MP R12 black nickel 52* and 56* gap and sand wedges, DG spinner W+ shafts Mizuno 20* FLiHi Clk hybrids, Project X 5.5 shaft 25 year old Bulls Eye putter, 33" or Ping Anser 2 Scottsdale 34" First round of golf was in 1963 at age 10. Best round -1. 2 Holes-In-One.

I just won 2 dozen pro v1x at a recent tournament.  I think they are straighter off the tee and maybe slightly longer.  I may switch over permanently.   The only difference that was obvious was in the feel off the putter however, I don't think it's that noticeable during the round.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by Spyder

I prefer the Titleist Balata, sorry.

They have better smiles for sure!

• Upvote 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

Per the Titleist web site and webcasts, there is not much difference in distances between their different levels of ball. http://www.titleist.com/golf-ball-fitting/ .

What I've found different between the ProV1X and NXT Tour is around the greens.  The ProV1x will check up when chipping much faster than the NXT Tour.  The NXT Tour tends to release a roll more.  I can get them both to stop on a dime with full shots with 8 iron through wedge.

I chose the ProV1X over the ProV1 because I wanted higher launch.  I haven't played much with the ProV1 though.

And I do play Titleist because they make their balls right here in my native Massachusetts, so call me a homer!!!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

Originally Posted by jcard71

Im a digger, so I've never had a problem with my ball stopping on the green.

I've been playing the Prov since it came out and recently thought about switching to the PROV1X for that added distance and I was wondering if anyone else has switched and what are your thoughts...My driver swing speed is 95-99mph.

Please don't post telling me how the "srixon" or top flight is a better ball and I'm wasting my money..blah blah blah..

My opinion: There is the the PROV and then every other ball...

Most golfers wont see a difference unless they are accomplished Ams or Pros..

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

Most golfers wont see a difference unless they are accomplished Ams or Pros..

I concur.    I'm certainly not an accomplished Am, but at a 6 index I'm not a totally talentless hack (well, almost).    I've got a random selection of Pro V1, V1x, Bridgestone 330, 330S, 330RX, 330RXS, and Penta in my bag, and have also recently dabbled with NXT Tour, E5, E6.     If I'm honest with myself, I cannot tell a difference in any of them from tee to green.    They all seem to go about the same distance.   If one sticks better on the green than another, it's always the swing I put on that shot and not the ball.   I do notice a difference putting though, although it isn't performance - it's just the sound.   I prefer the soft "thud" of a softer cover rather than the "click" of a harder cover, but I still cannot say I actually find any difference in holing the putts.

holy thread revival batman....seriously? since 2007? lol

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

I have played both.  I'm a digger, and I put a LOT of spin on iron approaches.  I spin the ball too much to play the pro v1, but the v1x seems to work well for me.  My evidence is anecdotal, as I don't have any data to support it.  I do know I have little chance of getting to front pins with the V1 however, unless I want to chip.

The Callaway ball is just as good, IMO.  The cover scuffs up awfully easily though.

Ping i15 9.0 (UST Mamiya S)

Cobra X-Speed 4+ Wood (Aldila S)

Cobra Baffler 3-Hybrid (19)

Mizuno JPX-825 Pro (4-GW) KBS Tour S

Cobra Rusty 55 SW

Cobra Rusty 59 LW

Never Compromise Gambler (34")

Originally Posted by Gioguy21

holy thread revival batman....seriously? since 2007? lol

Kudos to Sandwedge74 for using an existing thread instead of cluttering up the forum with a new one.

Bill

I am still debating in my head about this one.  I like the X off the tee but I have had some issues with distances with the irons being long.  It could be all the wind we have had the last 2 times I have played being sustained at 20+, so I am going to give them another shot. On the greens, you can't beat the reg V1 off the putter.

Note: This thread is 4534 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!