IGNORED

Iron Shafts - Project X vs Flighted

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Looking for some insight on Precision flighted rifle shafts.  Is there a noticeable difference between the Project X , S300, and Flighted?  I was looking into lowering my ball flight for accuracy.  I have not hit a set of flighted shaft irons and was considering making a trip to the training center to try them out. Are the flighted worth experimenting with?  Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by Avocado

Looking for some insight on Precision flighted rifle shafts.  Is there a noticeable difference between the Project X , S300, and Flighted?  I was looking into lowering my ball flight for accuracy.  I have not hit a set of flighted shaft irons and was considering making a trip to the training center to try them out. Are the flighted worth experimenting with?  Thanks in advance!

The S300 all have a consistent high kick point for a low trajectory and moderate spin

http://thesandtrap.com/t/36973/shafts-project-x-vs-project-x-flighted#post_478410

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennay92 View Post

project x has high kickpoints all the way from short irons to long irons.

the flighted ones have progressive kickpoints. so in the long irons the low kick points for higher launch to get the ball up easier, mid irons have mid kick points for mid launch angle with still a little help getting the ball up, and short irons have high kickpoints for a bit lower launch as not really any help is needed getting the ball up with these irons.

id say go flighted.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks MVMAC... that thread was quite informative.  I struggle with the equipment vs skill/talent.  I tell myself "its not the arrow its the Indian" but inevitably I end up wanting to purchasing a new driver, wedge, or this time irons... Technology will make it better.  Obviously, this is what drives the golf business... and there has been some great new products, but there is also ALOT of marketing going on. Living in San Diego (Golf Headquarters) its not hard to know someone in the business.  I have a friend who can get an employee cost deal and was going to get a set of irons for me.  I have hit the irons (S300), but I have not hit them with different shafts.  I just thought I would reach out and see if the flighted were a big deal or not. Thanks for sharing

More on Project X steel. The PX Rifle (the basic) actually provides a "slightly higher launch angle," but then flattens out at lower ball height once airborne. Initial lift transferring to boring trajectory.

The Project X Flighted shafts (info from The GolfWorks) actually have three different shaft templates: 2 iron to 4 iron = low kick / 5i to 7i = mid kick / 8 and above = high kick. Added production and inventory costs of maintaining three shaft templates is one reason the Flighted set packages come in at a pricy $35 a shaft.

If you have good clubhead speed, you might want to try the base PX rifle. As I mentioned, you get an initial lift boost, but flatter trajectory in flight to target.

I play PX Rifle Flighted 5.0, have about 85 mph driver speed, and the 3i works quite well for tee shots with the low kick lift. Using Uniflex midkick shafts in 2010, the 3i didn't do much.

NOTE: The PX 6.0 plays a bit stiffer than the DG S300.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I am gaming the Mizuno MP-53's with Project X 4.5 graphite shafts......and man has that shaft made a difference!....My driver swing speed is 87-95 mph and the 4.5's are regular as per the Projext X website.  The pther thing is I tried out Mizuno's stock Exsar graphite shaft and they just did not feel as good.......I also have the Project X 5.0 graphite shaft in my driver---Cally FT-iz 11*

The PX shafts, flighted or non, will help with your accuracy. As they're both a very low spin shaft. However, neither one is really a low flight shaft. The kick point in the flighted shafts gradually raises, producing a higher ball flight with the long irons and a lower flight with the short irons. Helps get the long irons in the air (if you play them) and helps prevent the short irons from ballooning. The non flighted model has a constant kick point that provides a mid-high launch. They're both great shafts, but won't really help much bringing the ball flight down.

Now, the Dynamic Gold series has the lower ball flight that your looking for, but the spin is higher with these, so dispersion may not be as good. A compromise here could be the KBS C-Taper. I haven't hit these personally, but from what I've heard they are roughly the flight of Dynamic Gold with the spin of PX. However, the price tag is pretty steep.

All that being said though, I'd recommend trying the PX Flighted. I have them in my irons and I love them. Accurate, long, and they feel great. Just make sure you get the right flex.

• Upvote 1

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Since PX run stiff, I like that I can use 5.0's and get a lower weight shaft than the DG S300. The lighter DG XP S300's launched too high for my liking. I'm 52 with a 103 driver swing speed and love the slightly lighter shafts in my irons.

I have flighted 5.0's in my MP 53's and non-flighted 5.0 soft stepped once in my JPX 800 Pro's. Not a real head to head test but they both feel great and the MP 53's launch a bit lower in the short irons. I do not see any real difference in my 5-iron. Then again, my swing varies more that the shafts. I plan to use MP 53's as my swing gets into mid-summer form.

I've read a lot here about PX feeling harsh. In my experience, if I have a good transition tempo, they feel smooth as silk. If I speed up my transition, they feel harsh and play worse than either of the DG shafts.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

After 2009 and 2010 swinging Uniflex iron shafts (about the same weight as PX 5.0), I actually find the PX  5.0 a little livelier.

Just for fun I hit a few 6i shots with PX 6.0 , and that felt harsh. If you want to compare shafts across manufacturers, the GoflWRX.com charts show the frequency coefficient matched (FCM) rating of the different shafts might be helpful.

PX 6.0 has an FCM of 6.0, while the DG S300 has an FCM of 5.8. Comparing FCM and shaft weight can give useful info for estimating clubhead speed across different shafts.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by rustyredcab

I've read a lot here about PX feeling harsh. In my experience, if I have a good transition tempo, they feel smooth as silk. If I speed up my transition, they feel harsh and play worse than either of the DG shafts.

The reason people say that PX feels harsh is that they are playing too stiff of a flex. They'll go from a DG S300 to PX 6.0 thinking its only a tiny bit stiffer, when in reality its a almost a full flex stiffer and the PX 5.5 is closer to what they need.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

After 2009 and 2010 swinging Uniflex iron shafts (about the same weight as PX 5.0), I actually find the PX  5.0 a little livelier.

Just for fun I hit a few 6i shots with PX 6.0, and that felt harsh. If you want to compare shafts across manufacturers, the GoflWRX.com charts show the frequency coefficient matched (FCM) rating of the different shafts might be helpful.

PX 6.0 has an FCM of 6.0, while the DG S300 has an FCM of 5.8. Comparing FCM and shaft weight can give useful info for estimating clubhead speed across different shafts.

Standard PX 6.0 has a FCM of 6.5, not 6.0.

FCM chart.jpg

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Thanks for the response everyone... I found the True Temper's website, it has a quite a bit of info as well, and a simple fitting tool... worth a look.  I made an appointment with a local fitting center to get fitted.  Once I realized how many selections there were, it was obvious I am going to need assistance picking the correct shafts.  I am looking forward to the fitting, hoping it will shed some light on a couple of my concerns.  I have a older (2006) set of Callaway Fusion irons (smaller version) which I have become used to.  I would like to move forward with the correct length, lie, grip diameter, etc.  I am sure, like many others,  I just purchased a set of off the shelf irons and went for it.  I do fear I am going to have to go backwards a bit in order to go forward.

I played even older (2001) Fusions for years. Re-shafted them once early on to replace the graphite with DG S300's for distance control. When my index seemed to stabilize under 10 last year, I thought it was time for a look at new irons to improve my distance control and striking consistency. I did not go backwards when I got new irons -- I went straight forward. My consistency is greatly improved with my new irons and lighter shafts. I've never hit the ball as well as I do with the new irons.

Good luck and post what you end up with here.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Note: This thread is 4396 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!