IGNORED

Judging distance

Note: This thread is 2265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mamm so it's looking like going down the technology route is the best bet then until I get my eye in so to speak. @FootWedge what bushel did you get and would you recommend it?

Suppose Another option would be a app on my phone (thinking hole19) anyone any idea how accurate they are <100 yards? 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Popeye said:

Suppose Another option would be a app on my phone (thinking hole19) anyone any idea how accurate they are <100 yards?

I use the free GameGolf app on my phone. Whatever variance there is in the GPS technology, I don't think it impacts my shots nearly as much as my lack of skill, if that makes sense. I think the phone app is pretty accurate.

Jon

6 hours ago, Popeye said:

Mamm so it's looking like going down the technology route is the best bet then until I get my eye in so to speak. @FootWedge what bushel did you get and would you recommend it?

You can get pretty much anything under $100 retail for 50 to 150 yards. I’d go to a discount Golf store or sporting goods place, and you might be able to get a good one for $80.

I have a $500 Sig Sauer Kilo2000 because I use it for shooting.

Hunting pins is not such a good idea with GPS. Conditions affect position accuracy.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I've got a Bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450 that I got used off ebay for $70.  Honestly, i should have spent a bit more since it can hard to shoot the flag from further out and I'll end up shooting what I want to avoid such as a ridge or bunker since at my skill level my goal is to hit the green at those ranges.  I may want to upgrade at some point.  But for 150 yards in, it does the job well.  I'd take the advice @Lihu gave and try them out at a store to get a feel for the layout, quality, etc.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

The rangefinder is my best procurement when it comes to learning my distances and deciding on which club to hit.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

On April 9, 2012 at 5:24 PM, skillzwhogolfs said:

So at the beginning of this year I have found an iron swing that most always fly's right at the pin, the problem is distance. I have been over and short so many times with such a good swing it's actually annoying and causing a par round into +6.

My question is how do you guys judge distance without any range finder ( I have no money to buy one) and just using yardage markers on the course? how do you bring wind, elevation, and whatever else into the final yardage decision?

What you're talking about is mostly instinct and knowing your game. I rarely use yardages on courses i know, i just do it by feel and vision. An honest knowledge of how far you hit your clubs goes a long way. But i don't think you can be taught or given advice on how to play the winds or judge yardage without tech, its something you have to find in your game by yourself. 

Note: This thread is 2265 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!