IGNORED

Fatso putter grip?

Note: This thread is 3865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone just got the fatso putter grip fitted and it's defiantly helped my grip, it now feels like I'm repeating my grip the same every putt and it's really making me feel more confident on the greens. The question I've got for people who have fitted one themselves is, did you find it difficult at first to get the pace/speed/weight of your putts, I seem to be racing them past the hole a lot more, I know it's going to take a big of time but has anyone else witnessed this? Cheers Dave

I put a red one of my Yes!

feels great, I think the oversized grip makes my other clubs feel a lot better..

I don't really feel a difference in distance control compared to a reg grip its just a lot more natural to hold.

When I got a Rossa Spider a few years ago it was way too light. So added weight and it felt much better. But with the smaller grip it was hard to control and stay on path. Didn't go to a Fatso but did put on a jumbo grip and it made all the difference.

The larger size of the grip and counterweighting to the heavier head made guiding the putter consistently very easy. It became a smooth stroke and didn't get off line or twist.

In short, won't get another putter grip that's not jumbo size. It really made a huge difference.

Originally Posted by Desert Glory

In short, won't get another putter grip that's not jumbo size. It really made a huge difference.

Same here.  I don't know how "over sized" the Fatso is.  But when I put a larger Winn grip on my putter, it helped me tremendously.  That said, putting is so much about feel that the larger grips will create issues for some while helping others.

I encourage anyone who reads this to try an oversized grip -- even if only slightly oversize.  It's not a big investment and if you don't like it, you can switch back to a traditional-sized grip quickly and easily.  In my case, I first put a slighly oversized Winn on my putter before eventually going one more increment up.

What's in the Bag:
Driver: Taylormade SLDR 12*
3-wood: Taylormade Burner 15*
Hybrid: Taylormade Burner 19*
Irons: Callaway XR

Wedges: Vokey 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Newport Studio

Don't get me wrong I love the new fatso grip it feels so much better and more natural, I'm just trying to get to grips with pace at the moment. I also think its due to the greens coming back in at the beginning of the season.

• 1 year later...

Nelly, I put a SuperStroke Fatso 5.0 grip on my putter about 3 weeks ago and I know exactly what you mean.  The grip feels great.  I feel like I can take the same stroke 5 times in a row on the putting green and not have much variation in the results, which helps me a lot during practice.  Putting is my weakest link right now, so I'm having to put in extra work on the practice green to begin with.  I've noticed during the 2 rounds I've played with it that I'm hammering the occasional putt a good 5 - 7 feet past the hole.

My circumstances may be a little different because of the following reasons:

* When having my grip installed, I also had my putter shortened from 35" to 33.5".  Although it feels much more natural now, I'm also adjusting my form and bending more at the waist.

* I bought a new putter 2 days before having the grip installed on it, so I'm having to learn the club at the same time.

I feel that overall, it was a good move.  I can now grip the proper area of the putter grip and work on the idea of using the weight of the club when I putt now.  I wasn't doing this before and I was incredibly inconsistent.  I'm looking up putting drills left and right and going into this thing with the mindset of practice, practice, practice.  Best of luck mate.

I will offer a theory from my experience.   When I switched to fat jumbo grip, I ended up putting less pressure on the grip.  It may translated into freer and faster swing speed.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just installed the the Fatso 5.0 as well and have sailed a few putts as well. I think the added weight tricks us to think we need more power behind the stroke which is actually the complete opposite. I have since settled down the stroke and can lag a 20' putt to within 2 feet.... still no the greatest but it's getting better. I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller grip on the putter now. The feel is superb!

I had the Super Stroke 3.0 installed while in Myrtle Beach a few months ago. I spent about 1/2 hour making putt after putt on the practice green with a similar putter to my Odyssey 2 ball blade before making the jump. The one thing I noticed is- the longer the putt, the less effect the grip seems to have. At least to me. Where it has really improved my putting is that tricky 6 ft and less range. I find it easier to repeat the stroke I want and have less 'wombles' and off center hits. The first three rounds with the new grip had NO 3 putts. I was making those awkward 3-4 footers for par or bogey all day long.

Originally Posted by sigfan2340

I just installed the the Fatso 5.0 as well and have sailed a few putts as well. I think the added weight tricks us to think we need more power behind the stroke which is actually the complete opposite. I have since settled down the stroke and can lag a 20' putt to within 2 feet.... still no the greatest but it's getting better. I don't think I could ever go back to a smaller grip on the putter now. The feel is superb!

Agreed, sigfan.  That is great.  If I could put every 20' putt within 2 feet, I'd be happy.  Out of all my shots on the course, my putts are the shots that leave me scratching my head the most.  I'll have streaks of decent putting, but I can't read a green to save my life.  The Fatso grip was a step in the right direction for me on a club that I need the most work on.

I've had the Fatso 5.0 on my two ball (center post) all season so far. I got it so that I would feel my hands less, if that makes sense. I would agree with rkim... you are probably making a purer stroke and therefore getting more roll. Time to hit the practice green to recalibrate your distances if you haven't already. I love the feel of mine, except when I'm taking it out of my bag.

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 0ldblu3

I love the feel of mine, except when I'm taking it out of my bag.

HA... I know what you mean.  I have a separate 'holster' on my bag designed to hold a putter.  This big boy won't fit in the sheath, so it's in my bag with the rest of the clubs.  I rack the bottom of the grip almost every time I try to pull it out.

Hmmmm, I have a big grip and it actually helped me keep my pacing. I suppose you could try a shorter shaft, or choking up an inch or two. I sometimes do that for short puts.

• 1 month later...

I put a Wynn Jumbo Lite on my putter and it feels amazing.  Putting has always been a strength of mine but I have been so lights out on the short puts with the jumbo grip that my playing partners routinely offer to "gimme" 3.5 & 4 footers.  The combination of the big grip with my soft-faced STX Envision putter is pure GOLD.

My equipment:

Driver - Callaway FT3 Fusion (9 degree)
3 Wood - Orlimar Tri-Metal (9 degree)
Hybrids - Bobby Jones (17, 21 & 25 degree)

Irons - KZG XCB 5 - PW

Wedges - Warrior (52 & 56 degree)

Putter - STX Envision

Ball of choice - Callaway TOUR i(s)

I used to use a Lamkin cross line grip on a Cleveland Form Forged II putter. Then I discovered the Odyssey White Hot #2 I put a Black Widow Signature mid-sized (badass graphics) on it. I upgraded my STX 9750 (w/ soft face insert) by putting a Winn PCi Jumbo Lite and has made a "big" difference! But for right now my go to putter is the Polar Balanced DC with TigerShark UltraTac Jumbo grip. So I sing the praises for large putter grips. I can't even fathom going back to a regular sized putter grip now and even the mid-sized on my White Hot #2 feels small. My Three Sons...

Driver: Adams TightLies Titanium High Launch Max COR (10.5°) R Flex Graphite SuperShaft Lightweight Mid Kickpoint, GolfPride Multicompound Grip

Fairway Wood: Ping G20 4-Wood (16.5°), R Flex Ping TFC 169F Shaft, Ping ID8 Grip | Hybrid: Ping G25 (23°), Ping TFC 189H Shaft, GolfPride Tour Velvet Grip

Irons: Cleveland TA-5 Gunmetal R Flex True Temper Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Black Grips: 5-I (27°) 6-I (30°), 7-I (33.5°), 8-I (37°), 9-I (41°), PW (45°)

Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action REG 588 Gunmetal Dynamic Gold Sensicore Shafts, BlackWidow Widowmaker Black/Red Grips: 51°/6, 57°/10, LW 64°/8

Putter: Carbite Polar Balanced DC, Tiger Shark Oversized Grip 31"

Note: This thread is 3865 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!