IGNORED

SwingByte and SwingByte 2 Discussion Thread

Note: This thread is 3349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm starting to think this thing is worthless.  Based on a lengthy discussion on another forum, I gather that only the swing speed and angle of attack are accurate.  It has no idea where the target is, so the numbers are instead based on the starting clubface direction and how close to square you have the device attached.

They claim it is internally accurate--it might not accurately state whether your clubface was open or closed at impact, but it will accurately tell you if it was more open or closed than the previous swing.  I don't see how that is helpful.

I'm still hoping they prove me wrong, but at this point I'm not optimistic.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by dsc123

I think the point of comparison isn't to see if its better than a doppler system; its to see if the swingbyte is accurate enough to be useful in its own right.

I have one but I've only used it once or twice.  As I promised a few weeks ago, I'll try to get a review up here soon.  Maybe after I do that I'll send it to Erik to borrow.  I'd like to know how accurate it is.

dsc123, do you mind doing a video review?  I'd like to learn more about the Swingbyte.  Also, I like the idea of you sending it to Erik to borrow.  Because he is well versed in Trackman and can provide input to the users here at TST on what he thinks of the validity of the unit.

Note, I have access to Trackman too - so if you want to send it to me... I'd be happy to do a comparison.  And I'm sure mvmac will back me up and confirm that I'm not some crazy user that will 'steal' the device from you. Hahhaa

Heck, if you want - I have a Ernest Sports ES12 radar that I can send to you... If you want to do a temporary trade.  But I've found the Ernest Sports device to be buggy as hell.  So I don't use it.

I found this elsewhere.   The first column is the trackman number and the second is swingbyte. The response from the swingbyte guy (who i think is the same guy that posted here) was basically that anything other than clubhead speed and angle of attack is not an apples to apples comparison because they use different points of reference.  He stresses the internal accuracy of the unit and the 3D display.  I'm skeptical of the utility of the internal accuracy, but hope to be proven wrong.
I'll try to get a video up but it will probably take me a week or so.  Then I'd be willing to lend it out if people are still curious.
Measure Swingbyte TrackmanII Diff Ave Abs Diff Per Swing
Driver off tee (22 swings)
Clubhead Speed 105.9 104.0 1.9 1.9
Angle of Attack -7.9 -5.9 -2.0 1.4
Club Path (pos = in to out) 6.2 3.1 3.1 2.8
Club Face (pos = open) 3.8 2.2 1.6 2.0
Vertical Swing Plane 41.8 43.1 -1.3 1.2
Dynamic Loft 10.5 10.5 0.0 2.4
Path minus Face Differential 2.7 1.4 1.3 3.3
Hybrid-21 degree off tee (15 swings)
Clubhead Speed 95.3 90.8 4.5 5.0
Angle of Attack -11.0 -6.1 -4.9 4.2
Club Path (pos = in to out) 3.4 1.7 1.7 2.1
Club Face (pos = open) 2.9 1.7 1.2 2.5
Vertical Swing Plane 48.6 52.3 -3.7 3.4
Dynamic Loft 17.2 12.7 4.5 5.3
Path minus Face Differential 0.0 0.3 -0.3 3.0
Six Iron off mat (16 swings)
Clubhead Speed 86.0 85.6 0.4 1.4
Angle of Attack -11.0 -4.2 -6.8 6.8
Club Path (pos = in to out) 4.1 3.1 1.0 1.4
Club Face (pos = open) 2.9 2.2 0.8 1.2
Vertical Swing Plane 53.9 59.7 -5.8 5.6
Dynamic Loft 24.6 18.1 6.5 6.7
Path minus Face Differential 0.6 -0.1 0.7 2.3
Pitching Wedge off mat (6 swings)
Clubhead Speed 82.2 78.9 3.3 3.3
Angle of Attack -11.7 -5.5 -6.2 6.5
Club Path (pos = in to out) 1.3 4.5 -3.2 2.0
Club Face (pos = open) 6.3 2.1 4.2 4.6
Vertical Swing Plane 57.8 65.6 -7.8 7.7
Dynamic Loft 39.1 33.0 6.1 6.1
Path minus Face Differential -5.3 3.0 -8.3 7.7

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I found this elsewhere.   The first column is the trackman number and the second is swingbyte. The response from the swingbyte guy (who i think is the same guy that posted here) was basically that anything other than clubhead speed and angle of attack is not an apples to apples comparison because they use different points of reference.  He stresses the internal accuracy of the unit and the 3D display.  I'm skeptical of the utility of the internal accuracy, but hope to be proven wrong.  

I'll try to get a video up but it will probably take me a week or so.  Then I'd be willing to lend it out if people are still curious.

Measure

Swingbyte

TrackmanII

Diff

Ave Abs Diff Per Swing

Driver off tee (22 swings)

Clubhead Speed

Angle of Attack

Club Path (pos = in to out)

Club Face (pos = open)

Vertical Swing Plane

Dynamic Loft

Path minus Face Differential

Hybrid-21 degree off tee (15 swings)

Clubhead Speed

Angle of Attack

Club Face (pos = open)

Vertical Swing Plane

Dynamic Loft

Six Iron off mat (16 swings)

Clubhead Speed

Angle of Attack

Club Face (pos = open)

Vertical Swing Plane

Dynamic Loft

Pitching Wedge off mat (6 swings)

Clubhead Speed

Angle of Attack

Club Face (pos = open)

Vertical Swing Plane

Dynamic Loft

The AA numbers that the user had on Trackman are ridiculous.  If they are swinging that steep - they must be taking monster divots and crashing the club into the ball.  That is insanely steep.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The AA numbers that the user had on Trackman are ridiculous.  If they are swinging that steep - they must be taking monster divots and crashing the club into the ball.  That is insanely steep.

Agreed. -11? -7.9?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

One of the points I was trying to make when asking for a comparison between SB and TM was, 'Are the points within a particular data set always consistent with regard to their differential?' For example:

- For swing speed, If SB measures x mph for a particular club and TM measures y mph, is the difference consistent between each swing? The average over 25 swings doesn't tell us that. The fact that SB is wrong is less important to me than if it's consistently wrong, if that makes sense. It's $150...you get what you pay for.

Same for any of the data. AoA, for example: Yes, we'd like reliable data, but if the difference is consistent and measurable, we can add/subtract from there. For the data set quoted, the ~11 degree AoA may be totally incorrect per the 'real' AoA, but are there data points that are skewing the average? Not saying there are - I wouldn't know.

We assume that SB isn't going to be as accurate as a high end device. Can you post the actual data set as opposed to the averages, maybe in a spreadsheet available for download?

Thanks for the time you've spent so far.

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Can you post the actual data set as opposed to the averages, maybe in a spreadsheet available for download?

Thanks for the time you've spent so far.

Its not my data, I just copied the chart from someplace else.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I'm interested in the swingbyte but am getting a little lost in the numbers. Not I don't know what they mean, more to my eye they don't seem to be adding up. If the swingbyte knows the target line purely from where it's pointing at address (which is my understanding) and records the difference in club face from address to impact, the club path as a difference to the target line then lastly the club face to path, then the numbers would all add up, surely. Taking the example on the website under "view your swing data" here http://www.swingbyte.com/tour it says club path 4.8 in-to-out, club face to path 2.8 open but then club face to address 2.8 open. Sorry but this looses me. If the swingbyte gets the club path from the club face at address, it swings in to out by 4.8 through impact and has the club face 2.8 open to the PATH at impact then surely the club face has opened 4.8 + 2.8 degrees so 7.6 degrees open when compared to the club face at address. If the club face was open by 2.8 degrees from address and the club is swinging in-to-out by 4.8 degrees compared to where it was facing at address, then surely the club face is closed to the swing path by 2 degrees - nice little draw. This seems to be the case on every set of figures I've seen so surely I'm missing something - could someone enlighten me? Clearly I'm missing something.

Pete Iveson

• 1 month later...
Hey Erik, have you had a chance to try the swingbyte? Looks like an affordable way to get a couple of important numbers about the swing? How would you compare it to opti shot?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Gunn62

Hey Erik, have you had a chance to try the swingbyte? Looks like an affordable way to get a couple of important numbers about the swing? How would you compare it to opti shot?

I haven't ever spent time on either of those Jeff. So I have no idea.

We have a Trackman for sale... ;)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I haven't ever spent time on either of those Jeff. So I have no idea.

We have a Trackman for sale... ;)

What`s the price?

Looking a bit at swingbyte, if it actually works as advertised, then in some ways wouldn`t it be more useful than trackman in that it shows your swing path and tempo?  Trackman is likely superior for showing the metrics around the ball but swingbyte might help someone who is looking to change/understand something leading into impact.

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

I bought one today. I was planning on doing a video review. What would you guys like to see?

It works fine. Yes, it does get loose. But, it seems to hold graphite shafts better than steel. Also, when you hit the sweet spot, the unit barely moves. When I tried to do some crazy swings, and ended up hitting some shanks, it would move.

I don't see how this would be worthless at all. It provides data which can be used to measure yourself. If you compare the address data versus the impact data, there's enough there to determine what your trends are.

I also don't see why needing a target line would be important. All that does is establish a point of reference for data to be calculated on...but the swingbyte does this by taking into account your club measurements and address position. It's assuming you address yourself square and get the unit on square. That is somewhat difficult to do, but the data it provides does seem to match up, unless the unit shifts like crazy.

I've used it a few times. I haven't done any scientific testing. But what I've found is: the path and face numbers aren't accurate enough to make swing changes based on them. Angle of attack is off quite a bit. Tends to be too steep in my case. Also, when attaching the device to the club, if it isn't aligned pefectly, the numbers will be way off. It does tend to spin on the club after a few well struck shots and after every mishit. Now, the tempo reading seems good. The swing speed seems close, although it does seem to be slightly high. The animated swing path visual is very good. The overall data seems to work better with the putter. I don't know whether it is the slower swing speed or maybe it's easier to align with the putter. You are obviously not getting Trackman/Flightscope accuracy. But for $149, the swing path visual, tempo, swing speed, and the fact that it seems to work ok with the putter, I would think it could be worth a try. I haven't tried out the other similar devices on the market, so I don't know how it compares with others at this price point.

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I've now heard from plenty of teaching pros that the thing gives bad information and is no good.

• 1 month later...
http://thesandtrap.com/t/57191/poor-mans-trackman-swingbyte-what-do-you-think/30

Joe McNulty

5SK™ Director of Instruction, Cape Cod, MA

Driver - D3 9.5

3-Wood - SQ 15

Hybrid - 17 Adams

4-PW - 714 AP2

50, 56 & 60 - Vokeys

Putter - Scotty

Ball - Pro V1x

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by iacas

I've now heard from plenty of teaching pros that the thing gives bad information and is no good.

Great... I just ordered one and didn't see this.

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation.."

Note: This thread is 3349 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!