IGNORED

Handicap Index

i-Guy
Note: This thread is 5917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How is your Handicap Index calculated?

• Official USGA Calculation
    • Your own calculation based on understanding of the USGA index system
    • Average score over Par for each course played?
    • Some other way?

I do ([my score] - [slope]) x (113 / [rating])

In my bag:
Driver: Launcher COMP 9.5* (Aldila NV 65S 350)
Fairway wood: Warbird 4-wood
Irons: X-18 Pro Series (3-PW)
Wedges: Vokey 252.08 and SM58.12Ball: Pro V1

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
I do ([my score] - [slope]) x (113 / [rating])

You may want to fix that...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use the Official Swedish Handicap system, which by the way is rubbish.

As a user of wireless18 I also get a handicap calculated according to USGA and CONGU. I prefer both of these method over the Swedish system.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

• 6 months later...
USGA...

I also keep one with a group that plays a game every Saturday on the same course. They use a computer program and my handicap for their game is within half a point of my USGA.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

FWIW - For the peeps who play 9 holes at a time, the USGA will no longer allow you to carry a 9 hole Index beginning in 2008 (if you bother to do that now). You can still post these 9 hole scores however they will be added together in sequence to create an 18 hole Index.

I carry an SCGA Index which is an affiliate of the USGA.
(SCGA - Southern California Golf Assoc)

Driver: R7 SuperQuad TP 9.5° Fujikura Rombax 6X07
Hybrid: Rescue TP 19°

Orlimar3wood: Hip-Steel 15° (oldie but goodie)Irons: Ping i10 [4-GW] DG X-100Wedges: Ping Tour-W [54° & 58°] DG X-100Putter: i-Series Piper HBalls: B330-S or e5+

I wrote the programs for my golf league (C.I.G.L.) that calculates everyones (including mine) handicap indexes and course handicaps (using the USGA handicap Manual as my programming specifications). The calculations are to the "letter" of the USGA, but, if they don't turn in the scores, I can't calculate them.

I found a calculator that was really basic, just rating, slope, and score over 18, then entered my last 20 or so rounds off of the top of my head (for the most part) as best as I could.

Yahoo has a great free system.

http://golf.sports.yahoo.com/tracker

Just a few things that you need to make sure of...
As other posters have indicated you must do ESC yourself before entering score. Also, many courses are already typed in, just be sure the tee boxes you use are correct (yardage, slope, rating wise) otherwise you can enter your own course. I know for me it seems like about half the courses have the right info entered, the other half I enter my own or aren't listed.

This system is free and easy... and most importantly uses same USGA formula. It just doesn't work as an official handicap, but is great if you just want to know where you stand.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

As a club member I play 18 holes regularly ( twice a week) so my handicap is processed in the Australien Golf lLnk system. I believe it is similar to the british handicapping system .someone please correct me if I am wrong about that. The American ststem seems quite confusing going by the posts in this thread.

Mine gets thrown into a computer by my handicp secratery and given back to me the next time i see him!

Dont really know how its done!

In My Bag ...

Driver - Mx-500 9.5 Regular Shaft.
Fairway Woods - 3 & 7 F-50 Reagular Shafts.
Irons - Mx-19 3-Sw Dynamic Gold Regular ShaftsBag - Aerolite 2Balls - , & Any I Find!Putter - C-Groove Tracy 2Grips - Golf Pride Mulit-Compound Blue GripsA Member Of Hunley Hall G.C.

• 2 weeks later...
Serious golfers, IMHO, have a USGA/GHIN official handicap.

I have numerous friends, acquaintances, what have you, that play golf but do not keep their handicap this way. How are you supposed to compete? Have matches? If you can't show me a card/sticker with your scores, or I can't look them up online, don't even bother asking about a game.

Is the $30 / year really going to break the bank? Or are you just that lazy? It's the latter for the guys I know..still no excuse.

I can't be the first person to share this quote on this thread:

Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

• 2 weeks later...
Serious golfers, IMHO, have a USGA/GHIN official handicap.

Actually it's even cheaper than $30... I think I pay $19.00 at my club for my USGA Ghin card via Minnesota Golf Association (MGA).

X-460 9.5* tour Driver/Fujikura stiff
X-15* tour 3 wood/Fujikura stiff
3DX 18.5* Hybrid/Aldila stiff
681 3-PW/Project X 6.0 (now in bag)
X-16 Pro Series Irons/Dynamic Gold S300 54* and 58* wedges Anser Sn putter

Actually it's even cheaper than $30... I think I pay $19.00 at my club for my USGA Ghin card via Minnesota Golf Association (MGA).

Good point, I'm sure it varies by state (or by association).

Blog: http://emergencynine.com/

In my bag you'll find lots of left-handed clubs like these:
Driver: G10 9* TFC (stock) S
3 wood: G5 Aldila NV SIrons 4 thru P: MX-20 TTDG RWedges: MP T Series Chrome, Forged - 52/56/60Putter: CallieBall: B330Bag (carry): Tour Stand; (cart): 9" Staff Tour

As a club member I play 18 holes regularly ( twice a week) so my handicap is processed in the Australien Golf lLnk system. I believe it is similar to the british handicapping system .someone please correct me if I am wrong about that. The American ststem seems quite confusing going by the posts in this thread.

It's not really complicated. Each round is rated this way.

"(Score - Course Rating) x 113 / Slope Rating"
  • 113 is in there because that's an average course slope.
  • Course rating is in there because that reflects what a scratch player ought to shoot (in the opinion of the people who rated the course)
  • What's that mean? A 94 on a course with a 127 slope is a better round than and 87 on a course with a slope of 116.
This site will do it for you. All you need to know is the information on the score card: Golf Handicap Calculator http://www.csgnetwork.com/golfhcapcalc.html It only takes 18 hole scores that have been adjusted to Equitable Stroke Control. Here's how that works: HDCP Index Maximum Score On Any Hole 0-9 Double Bogey 10-19 7 20-29 8 30-39 9 40+ 10 (Note: Maximum index for men is 36.4. You may not be that good but that's all the shots you get). Yes, this is really dry.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

CDGA (Chicago District Golf Association) in connection with the USGA.

One interesting note...you can really tell how your life in general is going by the way that your handicap fluxuates. I was going through a tough patch in my life and saw my handicap increase by 3. After that crisis was over...it settled back down.

Golf Handicap as a guage for life?
Je joue au golf, et j'aime ca.
-------------------------------------
Nike SasQuatch Sumo2
HaLo 2i & 3i
3100 I/H 5-GW588 Gunmetal 53/56/60White Hot XG #2Vector BagProV1x

Note: This thread is 5917 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!