IGNORED

How often should you buy new irons?

Note: This thread is 4342 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi,

I am new memeber, and there might already be a thread about this, if there is please link to it.

My question is how often should you buy a new iron set? If you play an average 2 times / week, from mid April to mid October. I tend to buy a new 52 degree wedge every year since it is the club I use the most, but what about the irons?

Whenever my old irons no longer fit my game.

Played R-flex Spalding TopFlite Synchro-Dyned (1959?) from 1967-1974; needed switch to stiff shafts and smaller head.

Played MacGregor MT blades, stiff,  from 1974 to 1994; switched to Ping Eye2 clones (stiff) for benefits of cavity-back and a custom fit.

Switched to Callaway X20s in 2009 as part of move from stiff to regular.

Switched to Callaway X20 Tours (PX 5.0 flighted) in January 2011 to get smaller head, better loft spread; may reshaft to lighter steel (around 100 grams), as 5.0 a bit heavy and halfway to stiff on frequency-matching scale. Have tested lighter shafts at demo days and expos, need actual launch-monitor session to pinpoint best shaft choice.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Whenever works for you. I think people should change out wedges more than they actually do. 3

913 D2 8.5* with V2 66g stiff shaft

910F 14.25 with Diamana stiff shaft

i20 17, 20, and 23 hybrid 

AP2 712 5-PW with Dynamic Gold S300 shaft

54 and 60

D66

Tournament Edition 1600

Unless they really don't fit your game, there's little to no reason to switch out the irons.They will wear eventually, but are still very playable for several years. My last set of irons were in my bag for nearly 10 years. My buddy has used ping Eye 2s for 15 or so years (and they were hand me downs from his dad).

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Unless you are practising daily on sand, your irons will never wear out.

You change them for other reasons.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Thanks for the feedback, and it comes down to wanting new ones more than needing them. I do switch my wedges every year, and my swing is the same so no need to switch irons. Although, looking at new ones that come out I got to say it is very tempting to buy them just because they are new.

As needed.  It takes years if not decades to wear the grooves off of a set of irons, so thats not as much of an issue as it is with wedges.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Those are what i use, also hand-me-downs.  Iron technology hasnt changed much over the years, so theres really no need to buy new irons.  They dont really wear out...

Someone needs to post a elequent response that says the correct answer is yearly... so I can print it off to show my wife... :)
  • Upvote 2

Titleist 915 9.5 w/GD AD-DI shaft Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 14 degree FW wood Ping Anser hybrid 19 degree Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4-pw or Callaway Apex Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, (62) Edel E3 Putter ES14 launch monitor ARCCOS

Originally Posted by cliffj

Someone needs to post a elequent response that says the correct answer is yearly... so I can print it off to show my wife... :)

LOL, I'll be printing that out too! Maybe add a line about old irons being bad for your back.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I had my irons for only about a year, but already my 8-PW and GW, SW, and LW have wear on them as I use these the most.  I am thinking once the groves wear down to where it is not as effective, I will need to replace them.

I'll give it another 3 years or so.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

I had my irons for only about a year, but already my 8-PW and GW, SW, and LW have wear on them as I use these the most.  I am thinking once the groves wear down to where it is not as effective, I will need to replace them.

I'll give it another 3 years or so.

I've been waiting for my grooves to wear down to an unplayable condition on my Mizunos.

I bought them in 1992.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

I've been waiting for my grooves to wear down to an unplayable condition on my Mizunos.

I bought them in 1992.

Good luck with that.  If you say that you are going to keep a set of irons until you wear the grooves out you can pretty much count on leaving them for your grandkids someday.  Irons dont wear down like wedges do, even forged irons.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

You'll need to replace them after 9 bad shots.  That's when all of the shafts will be broken, and it's cheaper at that point just to replace the entire set.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

You'll need to replace them after 9 bad shots.  That's when all of the shafts will be broken, and it's cheaper at that point just to replace the entire set.

you obviously have the same irons i do...

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Quote:

I bought them in 1992.

Good luck with that.  If you say that you are going to keep a set of irons until you wear the grooves out you can pretty much count on leaving them for your grandkids someday.  Irons dont wear down like wedges do, even forged irons.

Your sarcasm detector is broken - or mine is?!?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Your sarcasm detector is broken - or mine is?!?

Sean:  based on your recent avatar change, I'll now be rooting for Fowler to go on a multi-week winning streak.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 4342 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!