IGNORED

Ever hit anyone (or anything living) with a golf ball?

Mobey
Note: This thread is 3738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was playing at a local par 3 course with friends a few years back and shanked a 7 iron off the tee, only to see it curve right, bounce once and hit an old lady square in the right temple.... needless to say she was in a bit of pain... but no serious injuries I am happy to report... scared me a bit though!

Slowbo.

Hit a duck once who was minding his own business... This last Sunday, I was sitting in the cart talking to my son and someone nailed an errant shot that hit the pole behind my head (on the cart). He came running over with a look of terror and I couldn't help but laugh. We ended up pairing with he and his son and finished our day, so I made a new friend out of the deal. I didn't have the heart to tell him I just didn't want them behind me anymore.

When I was caddying back in the day, one of my guys hit a duck on the edge of the creek. The duck was badly hurt and he told me to take a club and beat it to death. I said no and he said if I didn't to put down his bag and I wouldn't get paid. So I put down his bag and walked on with the other bag. He took one of his clubs and beat the duck until it died and he carried his bag for the rest of that nine. When we got to nine he told the caddie master that he wanted me fired. They took the other bag from me and, after reviewing what happened, they suspended the jerk and gave me my job back. I declined and went to another club (where I made more money anyway). A-hole.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

When I was caddying back in the day, one of my guys hit a duck on the edge of the creek. The duck was badly hurt and he told me to take a club and beat it to death. I said no and he said if I didn't to put down his bag and I wouldn't get paid. So I put down his bag and walked on with the other bag. He took one of his clubs and beat the duck until it died and he carried his bag for the rest of that nine. When we got to nine he told the caddie master that he wanted me fired. They took the other bag from me and, after reviewing what happened, they suspended the jerk and gave me my job back. I declined and went to another club (where I made more money anyway). A-hole.

Well, I'd say it's more humane to kill the duck than to leave it there, but beating it to death with a golf club is a bit unnecessary. Could have told him to take a mulligan if he wanted the duck dead, that would shut him up... Or broken its neck which is a hell of a lot better way of killing it. But it's not cool to make you do it. And I bet he wouldn't tip you for cleaning duck blood off his clubs either. Nowadays you'd be replaced by an electric cart, he could just run it over himself.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

• 1 year later...

oh yeah...........on a golf trip to Biloxi, playing 36 in one day......hit the same guy, TWICE.

and.......he was in my foursome. morning round he was in front of me and to the left...I pulled/scorched a three wood that went after him like a heat seeking missile.........in the afternoon, again he's in front and this time I semi-shanked a six iron that clipped him.

yes, he survived and we're still friends.

I have an interesting similar story. I was playing in the championship flight of this two day tournament, the biggest tournament of the year for me personally because of the high level of scratch golfers and low handicappers, who were very capable of firing low rounds themselves. There is a high dollar Calcutta on Saturday night for the top ten and ties and that was my goal, as I had never made the board before. I am playing in a foursome with some very laid back beer drinking five handicappers, great atmosphere for me. I'm not a big fan of the tightly wound low handicapper's whose overly serious nature is a mismatch for their talent. You know the type I'm sure. So we are all having a great time and I am playing extremely well with the exception of a few stray putts. I am +2 through nine and birdie the short par 5 tenth hole, so I am gaining momentum and leading my group by two. We get to the 14th tee and one of the five handicappers, a jovial Fred Funk type, hits a shot into the junk on the right after ricocheting off a tree 30 yards in front of the tips. So we decided to go look for his ball while he re-teed a provisional to save time. We were twenty yards in front of the tree, in the rough, starting our search, which was fifty yards from the tee-box. All I heard was fo-- and i was down. I wasn't quite out but I was knocked silly. My sunglasses and the brim of my hat saved me from taking one to the temple from a rocket at 50 yards. We had a doctor on the course, so when I finally convinced everyone, including myself, I was okay we drove toward the clubhouse to find what hole he was on and ran into him on 18 which was adjacent to the 14th, the hole I was playing. He did the follow my finger test and told me I would definitely need stitches, but, determined not to let the first round in ten years at this particular tournament go to waste, I went back to my ball, a small gallery in tow, including the pro, for safety sake. They were concerned and I was appreciative. So we get back to my ball on the short 410 yd. par four where i had just under 100 yards left. It was foggy but I knocked it stiff to about 8 feet.  It was enough to ease the concern of the worried. Fortunately they didn't stick around for my three- putt. I went on  from there with a blood covered shirt and hat and walked up the eighteenth fairway to a birdie putt in front of a nice sized little gallery. It was quite an experience to say the least. I made the Calcutta board for the first time ever and the grey golf hat is mounted on the wall reminding me that, don't let your head get in the way of a good round. Golf is 95% mental.

• Upvote 1

Never hit an animal, or a person, BUT I have been hit . 2 guys on an adjacent fairway, 1 guy hits a horrible slice about 20 yards from me. I'm standing on a rise on the side of my fairway, and all of a sudden Blam!, his ball hits me an inch above my right eye. Doesn't knock me down or anything, no cut, but I had a nice spot of what looks like roadrash.

I go and tell the jerk I want his I.D., in case there are problems later on. He just looks at me like he didn't hit the ball or do anything wrong, I ask again for his Drivers licence, again he doesn't even acknowledge my presence. So I go get the course marshal, and he tells the guy he needs to give me his info,because golfers are Responsible for injuries and damage, the jerk refuses, the marshal kicks him and his buddy off the course.

Nothing came of the ball hitting me. although I would have loved to smack that moron just once for not saying he was sorry. People like that do Not belong on a golf course. BTW, this was in 1999.

Never hit an animal, or a person, BUT I have been hit . 2 guys on an adjacent fairway, 1 guy hits a horrible slice about 20 yards from me. I'm standing on a rise on the side of my fairway, and all of a sudden Blam!, his ball hits me an inch above my right eye. Doesn't knock me down or anything, no cut, but I had a nice spot of what looks like roadrash.

I go and tell the jerk I want his I.D., in case there are problems later on. He just looks at me like he didn't hit the ball or do anything wrong, I ask again for his Drivers licence, again he doesn't even acknowledge my presence. So I go get the course marshal, and he tells the guy he needs to give me his info,because golfers are Responsible for injuries and damage, the jerk refuses, the marshal kicks him and his buddy off the course.

Nothing came of the ball hitting me. although I would have loved to smack that moron just once for not saying he was sorry. People like that do Not belong on a golf course. BTW, this was in 1999.

I had a guy come up to me once saying that I almost hit him, funny thing is that I didn't hit any stray shots that could have come anywhere near another person that day.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Hit a hybrid kinda thin and hit a goose square in the face. totally killed any roll. He was spasming on the ground and my partner said I had to kill him and take him out of his misery. I hesitated and thankfully the little guy put himself together and looked fine save for the blood on his beak. The freaky part was when I went to take my next shot, the whole flock(?) of geese circled me and seemed ready to pounce. I hit a great shot under pressure and went on my merry way.
  • Upvote 1

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

Wow this thread gives me anxiety because it brings to memory the 2 times I almost hit someone and I honestly think if either time had made actual contact it could have been....very bad.

Story 1)
About 2 years ago, I had not played golf in about 4-5 months. Stepped on to the first tee with my father in law (without warming up) hit my drive perfect down the middle and thinking...wow that layoff did me well. 100 yards to green, pitching wedge in hand, hit the nastiest shank you will ever see in your life and it came out SO hot flew directly sideways to the right where the green of another hole is about 10-15 yards away (not sure what hole, I think 3 or 4 - based on how course is set up) - there was a guy bent down about to stroke his putt and my ball literally wizzed right over his head! The craziest part is, he must have been so focused on his putt that he did not even realize what happened!!! I stood staring in shock in his direction after he picked his head up and he gave me a look like "why are you staring at me???" I couldnt even talk, I wanted to walk over and say something to him but I was literally shaking - I knew how extremely lucky I was to not hit him and technically how extremely lucky he was....I sat back down in my cart, waited until he drove off, went and got my ball and I think I sat out a hole or two.

Story 2)

Teeing off on first tee with driver. The tee box is on a mound about 7 or so feet up, so when you tee off your line of sight is well above ground and your not really paying attention to what is underneath you. Long story short, an older gentlemen for whatever reason crossed the path of our tee box right when I was teeing off, he must not have not been paying attention or something...but even if there is not someone on the tee box, I have no idea why he would be crossing right in front of it...anyways I did not see him - hit this very low line drive type of shot that that wizzed over his head. I saw him for the first time as I was picking my head up to see where the ball was heading. I swear it was probably .001 seconds but it felt like it was 30 seconds  and going by in slow motion. Missed his head by inches. He laughed it off, and made a joke about how he should not have crossed in front of a tee box like that.

Oh yea! And one time my drunk friend was in his cart about 15 yards in front and to the left of me in middle of the fairway. I was about to hit a little low punch shot and kept telling him to get out of the way but he wouldnt (trying to be funny). So I just said "ok im about to hit so dont get out of the cart.). What does he do, right as im saying that he sticks his arm out the cart in a waving motion to distract me right as im swinging! My ball hit his hand pretty hard. Did not break a finger or anything but it was pretty bruised up. After that I decided I #1 will never play with a drunk person and #2 no matter what the circumstances, I never ever hit if someone is in front of me, doesnt matter how far up etc. (other than greenside chips).

I've never hit anyone while actually playing golf, but I have a pretty good  story nonetheless. I practice chipping in the back yard all the time, now given I cant chip the ball quite as good during a competitive round of golf, as I can in the confines of my own back yard, but I have become a pretty darn good chipper. I am also the proud father of 4 lovely children of which I lose all chipping capabilities when any one of them get anywhere close to me. If one of them gets behind me, or near where I'm chipping to, I duff it, chunk it, ect. I'm worried to death I may hit em with a golf ball. I may or may not have had a drink or 2 during these lil chipping sessions. Well one day while I was chipping around, my precious little 5 yr old girl was working on her hulla hooping. She had just told me that her 5k teacher told her,  she was the best hulla hooper in the class. After her asking me to hulla hoop, and me telling her that daddy's not a very good hulla hooper, she had the idea of me chipping a ball thru her hulla hoop. I made her hold it way out to the side  of her body,  I was maybe 5yds away,I chipped 1 just over the hulla hoop, she yelled ''you missed daddy''. I thought alright I got this, so very carefully and very softly I gave it another go, and proceeded to thump her square in the middle of her forehead with the ball. She hit the ground screaming bloody murder, Im freaking out, I swoop her up, and run her inside to her mama.  I start explaining what happened and how bad I felt, not to mention how big of a dumbass I was, before she could say it of course. Sarah ended up being ok, besides the goose egg and the bruise that followed it, which she had to take her school pictures with.

I was with my chief last summer golfing. We were on the tee box and a group coming up the next hole towards us were about 90 yards from us. The guy on that hole hit a nasty skulled slice and nailed the Fire Chief in the forehead. He dropped like a sac of potatoes, I thought they killed him. Of course when he wakes up blood is pouring from his head, The guys that hit him run over and tried to pour beer on him to wash the blood away...that part was pretty funny. He looked like a unicorn for a few days after that and couldn't get his hat on due to the big ass lump.

Don't recall ever hitting anything or anyone, but this summer some dude bladed his tee shot at a Par 3 course here in Houston and it smacked me right in the groin. Was lucky that it just missed the twig n berries but the pain was severe for the next few min. Guy didn't even apologize, just waved.

I've never hit anybody but it's only luck that I haven't because I've hit more than my fair share of bad shots that easily could have.

I have been hit 3 times on the course. Two were very hard hit balls with a driver and a 3 wood that hit me in the chest and in the stomach respectively, so no major damage other than big bruises. Both of those hit by total morons that shouldn't have even been trying to hit the shots they were trying to hit with somebody in the area. The other was a shanked glancing blow off of my cart steering wheel that hit me in the arm. Not even a bruise from that one though it stung a little bit.

Funny thing was that I got hit in the stomach in the arm off of the steering wheel and in the stomach by the 3 wood both during the same round on the 6th and 17th holes.

BTW I love liveeel's story. Reminded me of some dumb things I accidently did to my kids but mine are OT for golf. At least they had to learn to be tough around our house.

Came close to beaning someone just a few weeks ago. Problem was the high wind. The shot ballooned, rode the wind and pushed about 80 yds right of where I started it. It was just silly, the gust blew it about 40 yds further than my max distance for that club and on a normal day pretty much impossible to hit it where it ended up. The guys were actually half way between two holes at least 150 yds apart waiting at a potty just off the path. They were upset though it should have been obvious it wasn't intentional. One guy was doing some WWE style posturing. They were really slow so maybe they thought it was us being jerky. It did speed them up so all was good. Just glad I didn't hit them.

Dave :-)

About two summers ago, I was playing the 18th at Northern Bear with my wife, where a flock of geese liked to hang out. She pulled a three wood for a fairway shot, and proceeded to drill one in the back. The goose was ok, but my wide was so distraught she couldn't finish the whole. I'm glad this was the last hole. Of course five minutes previously, she was chasing them in a golf cart. Another time, I was with three buddies and we assumed we were the only ones around. My buddy drills a drive bee lining into a tree stand right of the fairway. We hear a crack and a grown so we run up to take a look. Turns out the cart girl had his in the trees to wait for us, and my buddy pliers his drive through the cart windshield and into her stomach. Despite being doubled up, she asked if we need anything to drink! We took her back to the clubhouse, tipped her, and the course gave her the day off with pay. I'm glad she was ok. Bit awful bit absolutely hilarious at the same time.

This one's for Steven, a good buddy for years. He was playing in a tournament 20+ years ago on Springfield CC in West Springfield, MA. The first and tenth tee run parallel with the 1st hole a slightly more doglegged to the the left. A drive off the tenth tee nailed him on the 1st fairway in the back of his head. He first dropped to his knees and finally to the ground. As the story goes, him relating it, that his first reaction was he was hit in the back of the head by a high powered rifle from the porch fired by his wife and only after a few dazed moments he realized it was a golf ball. As he says today he can't for the life of him figure out how she hit that golf ball. (True story)

Note: This thread is 3738 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!