IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

That 18th hole isn't driveable.

Look at the approach to the green:

Don't know how much view of the green you get from that tee, or which way the wind will be.  But it looks like the easiest place to approach that green might be from the left or middle bunker.  If the wind is favorable, I could see guys trying to hit a bomb for the left side of the green, thinking that if it goes in the left bunker that would be just as good as an 80-yard wedge from the fairway.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

I think Congressional is a crap course.  I'm from Maryland too, so I'm not just hating.  One of the worst setups I've ever seen was the one Els won there.

Your kidding right? I finally got to play there last week and it was immaculate granted there was some holes I didn't like but every course has that problem. The set up when Els won was different but this past year the set up was way better. It would have been a lot more difficult but the weather didn't cooperate so there was nothing they could do to make it harder.

Olympic I think will be very tough and I hope it plays as tough as everyone thinks. 18 is not remotely drivable for anyone it's 344 yards plus it's also very uphill and with the fairway being so narrow I doubt you will see more than a long iron off the tee.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by clubchamp

Olympic I think will be very tough and I hope it plays as tough as everyone thinks. 18 is not remotely drivable for anyone it's 344 yards plus it's also very uphill and with the fairway being so narrow I doubt you will see more than a long iron off the tee.

I bet Bubba can drive it!!! Easily, he can hit fade around the tree line, right on the green. No problem.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Originally Posted by Motley01

I bet Bubba can drive it!!! Easily, he can hit fade around the tree line, right on the green. No problem.

344 uphill on the fly? I'd love to see it but reality tells me he doesn't have that kind of power...

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

344 uphill on the fly? I'd love to see it but reality tells me he doesn't have that kind of power...

Hell ya he could do it. But it measures that distance from the fairway. So hitting a driver, with a fade, is probably more like 320 yards.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Tiger played the  "B" Team at The Memorial..of course he won. Just like Bay Hill.."B" Team. When Eldrick plays against A players,( Master's) he folds like a lawn chair.

Tiger played the  "B" Team at The Memorial..of course he won. Just like Bay Hill.."B" Team. When Eldrick plays against A players,( Master's) he folds like a lawn chair.

Yeah, let's see what happens when he has to beat guys like Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy.

• Upvote 3

Originally Posted by brocks

Yeah, let's see what happens when he has to beat guys like Luke Donald and Rory McIlroy.

Yes, if they can manage to make the cut, they might be formidable.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Ping

I'm surprised you don't consider the #1 and #2 players in the world rankings as A players.  Why do you hate the British?

And I guess you don't count the reigning Masters champ an A player either?

Interesting.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Ping

Yeah. "Eldrick" has such a lengthy history of choking. Maybe one of these days he'll learn to handle pressure.

"Ping" is clearly trolling. (Eldrick, lawn chair, etc.)  Give it up, dude.

Anyway... I love the US Open for the simple fact that it makes the players sweat every shot. That video posted in this thread "Mickey mouse golf" is a great example of the power of the USGA.  Everyone still has to play the same course, even if it's considered a beast, it isn't like these guys don't all have the same chance to go out there and win it.

It might not make everyone happy when their ball is buried in 6" rough, or decent putts are rolling away from the hole. But IMO the USGA can choose to make it a golfing dystopia if they want to.

And that being said, the players should embrace the challenge, rather than ridicule the governing bodies.

Crank the stimp up to 14, grow out that rough, tuck the tees and pins...it will make great TV.

I agree with Ping.  Once Tiger has to face these guys, he is going to fold:

MV5BMTg4OTY2OTA0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjcxNzIzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR10,0,214,317_.jpg

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Motley01

Hell ya he could do it. But it measures that distance from the fairway. So hitting a driver, with a fade, is probably more like 320 yards.

It's a 330-yard uphill carry over the "O" bunker to reach a green that is 15 yards at its widest point, with the prevailing wind coming in and from the left off the ocean, where a 300-yard-carry will either find the "U" bunker and leave a 40-yard bunker shot to the hole, or roll 50 yards back down the hill (or until the rough eats it, whichever comes first). A pro would be crazy to even attempt to go for the green in competition, because he's going to be better off with a wedge in his hands from the fairway 100 yards out than anywhere his ball is likely to rest after bombing driver.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Luke will struggle round here, the reason everyone raves about his short game and putting is because he needs to use them, he misses too many fairways. The idea of him being accurate off the tee is, well, just wrong. Westwood will be a better bet of the Europeans, I like Rose's chances as well. He's been in good form this year, has a history of winning on tough courses with brutal greens - Aronimick for example.

Also, Peter Hanson plays well on tough courses, but it'll depend if there are lay up areas for unmentionables!!!

I'm not buying the Tiger love, the fairways at Memorial were wide and he didn't have to pull driver too much, not sure Olympic is going to be the same. Having said that if he finds a way to get the ball in the fairway he'll torch the field.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

That makes me think of 15 at Augusta.  Or is it 13?

It sounds like this hole is the opposite of that, which I wouldn't even know how to play.  I'm guessing the ideal play is something high that lands softly.  But my driver shot is kinda low and rolls out a lot.  The more it rolls, the more likely to end up in the rough, right?

Brandon

I think the high ball hitters will definitely have an advantage.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Your kidding right? I finally got to play there last week and it was immaculate granted there was some holes I didn't like but every course has that problem. The set up when Els won was different but this past year the set up was way better. It would have been a lot more difficult but the weather didn't cooperate so there was nothing they could do to make it harder.

I think it's a great members course.  Not a great course for a US Open.  Obviously I'm not turning down invites to play there.  Just wasn't all that impressed.  As far as courses in the state of Maryland go, I'd rank it behind Bulle Rock, BCC East, and possibly Caves Valley.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by Wansteadimp

I'm not buying the Tiger love, the fairways at Memorial were wide and he didn't have to pull driver too much, not sure Olympic is going to be the same. Having said that if he finds a way to get the ball in the fairway he'll torch the field.

Earlier in the year when Tiger was playing well, he was #1 in total driving.  If he can/has regained that form, he should be fine.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4327 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!