IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by scottyjoe145

Mickelson wins the Open because Johnny Miller gave him a tip on how to play Olympic Club...  I read it in GOLF Magazine.

Where everyone else read it.

Here's the "tip" Miller gave him - the fairways slope the opposite of the way the hole doglegs.

You heard it here last, Phil.

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Plus there will not be any cell phones.  So there's that.

Brandon

LOL.  I just read that article today that Phil sent a text - during Thursdays round at the Memorial to Tim Finchem complaining about the use of cells! Hahahah

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

LOL.  I just read that article today that Phil sent a text - during Thursdays round at the Memorial to Tim Finchem complaining about the use of cells! Hahahah

And since the PGA rule book prohibits any on-course use of a cell phone by a player (according to, I think it was, Trip Isenhower on the Golf Channel) I wonder if, when Phil texted Finchem, FInchem texted back. "Phil, you better WD or we are going to have to DQ you for using a cell phone on the course."  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

"Hey Finchy, WTF is wit all da cellfones? LOL OMG I cnt bring my games in dis shit. txt me back yo'

• Upvote 2

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

"Hey Finchy, WTF is wit all da cellfones? LOL OMG I cnt bring my games in dis shit. txt me back yo'

Phil seems more like someone who wouldn't abbreviate to me. More like, "Dearst Mr. Finchem, I regret to inform thee that I might have to quit this fortnight's tournament early, for I fear that all of these cellular devices are interfering with my golf game. If I don't get your return letter before sundown, I will assume that they have gotten to you to. Best regards, Philip A. Mickelson. P.S. Doth thou happen to know the nearest Five Guys to Dublin, Ohio?"

• Upvote 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

Phil seems more like someone who wouldn't abbreviate to me.

More like, "Dearst Mr. Finchem, I regret to inform thee that I might have to quit this fortnight's tournament early, for I fear that all of these cellular devices are interfering with my golf game. If I don't get your return letter before sundown, I will assume that they have gotten to you to. Best regards, Philip A. Mickelson. P.S. Doth thou happen to know the nearest Five Guys to Dublin, Ohio?"

Ha!  Love it.

Pretty funny how Philly sent it to Finchem.  Think about it... If the bathroom is out of toilet paper... I'm not texting our GM to do something about it.

Also looking at the prediction thread... Some of these folks picking large under par finishes for your picks... Have you seen how they are setting up this course?!  I really think the USGA is going to make a statement here folks.  It looks beastly.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Quote:

Good move.

Hey, if Tiger can win the Open on a broken leg Ron should be able to watch an Open on a broken leg.  LOL

LOL damn good point Sir my wife is gonna be pissed but Im gonna try to play through the pain!!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by iacas

Exactly. Why are people saying leg? :P

I'm not sure I'd want to SIT in one place all day with a damaged lumbar spine.

Yeah it's a diskectomy (lower back surgery). In a nutshell a chunk of one of my disks broke off and is resting on a nerve causing leg, foot pain and numbness. Im on Vicodin for back pain, and I was also prescribed Prednizone that MIGHT bring down the imflamation and maybe avoid surgery all together. The doc has seen others with this same condition avoid surgery all together because the body was able to "absorb" the broken chunk of disk. So far it seems to be working, but it's still early. My fingers are definitely crossed though.

Originally Posted by jamo

Phil seems more like someone who wouldn't abbreviate to me.

More like, "Dearst Mr. Finchem, I regret to inform thee that I might have to quit this fortnight's tournament early, for I fear that all of these cellular devices are interfering with my golf game. If I don't get your return letter before sundown, I will assume that they have gotten to you to. Best regards, Philip A. Mickelson. P.S. Doth thou happen to know the nearest Five Guys to Dublin, Ohio?"

I personally think this is worthy of it's own thread: http://thesandtrap.com/t/58769/phils-text-msg-to-finchem-use-your-imagination

Feel free to repost there :D

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I have a copy of the SI U.S. Open preview from 1966 in which Ken Venturi takes you around the course. The article says the key holes at Olympic are 2 through 5. These holes can get behind the 8-ball pretty early and lost strokes won't be easy to make up later on.

He also says that Olympic is a second-shot course. Not that the tee shot isn't important, but the greens are small and getting the ball on isn't easy. Because the greens are so small, just getting on means you're close to the hole and the better putters don't have an edge over the shot-makers.

At least that was true in 1966. For those of you who remember golf before Tiger Woods, this is the issue in which an artist made table-top models of holes 2-5 with clear, colored plastic cones that  stood in for the trees along the fairway.

Venturi recommends playing the tee shot on #3, a downhill par 3, into a landing area short of the green so the ball can bounce on. We'll see how many people do that.

Originally Posted by The Recreational Golfer

I had two lumbar surgeries this year. Believe me, Ron will be watching on TV.

2 in the same year? Sheesh!

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

LOL damn good point Sir my wife is gonna be pissed but Im gonna try to play through the pain!!

Good man!!

But be prepared.  Based on precedent, some folks are going to claim you aren't really injured all that much and are faking the pain.  LOL

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Groupings and starting times:

"1-tier" Marquee groups for the US Open:

Mickelson, Watson, Woods (start on the 9th hole on thursday, morning tee time)

McIlroy, Westwood, Donald ( start on the 1st hole, afternoon tee time

"2-tier"

Els, Ogilvy, Cabrera

Toms, Love, Harrington

Fowler, D. Johnson, Ishikawa

Oosthuizen, Dufner, Day

--

Meh...I don't really like such groupings with 3 very famous players. Let's see if Mickelson can beat Woods again by 11 strokes (like Pebble) or if Tiger can school him like Fowler. I guess there will be some camera noise going in that group with Mickelson, let's hope he could rest a little...

Originally Posted by Zwick

Groupings and starting times:

"1-tier" Marquee groups for the US Open:

Mickelson, Watson, Woods (start on the 9th hole on thursday, morning tee time)

McIlroy, Westwood, Donald ( start on the 1st hole, afternoon tee time

"2-tier"

Els, Ogilvy, Cabrera

Toms, Love, Harrington

Fowler, D. Johnson, Ishikawa

Oosthuizen, Dufner, Day

--

Meh...I don't really like such groupings with 3 very famous players. Let's see if Mickelson can beat Woods again by 11 strokes (like Pebble) or if Tiger can school him like Fowler. I guess there will be some camera noise going in that group with Mickelson, let's hope he could rest a little...

I would much rather see that Mickelson/Watson/Woods pairing on Sunday, with Els/Furyk/Cabrera the second last group, ahead of them.

There, I said it. Im a Cabrera fan. I like the guy, he's a 2 time Major champ, and if you ask me, he has a shot on any given Sunday.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

Originally Posted by ApocG10

I would much rather see that Mickelson/Watson/Woods pairing on Sunday, with Els/Furyk/Cabrera the second last group, ahead of them.

There, I said it. Im a Cabrera fan. I like the guy, he's a 2 time Major champ, and if you ask me, he has a shot on any given Sunday.

He hasn't played very well lately, has he?  I'm not sure about his most recent start, but before that I seem to remember him missing a few cuts.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 4319 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!