IGNORED

2012 US Open at Olympic Club Discussion Thread

k-troop
Note: This thread is 4353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by brocks

That's pretty close to what actually happened.

The last substantial change to the way the World Golf Rankings are calculated was the addition of a maximum divisor. If you play over 52 events in two years, only your last 52 are counted. Both Levin, who was #61, and Ryo Ishikawa, who was #60, have played over 52 events in the last two years. That means that their oldest events that count will have a higher weight than normal, since they are closer to 18 months old than two years old.

And as luck would have it, the oldest event in Ryo's window was a win, so it was worth over 5 points up to now. Ryo didn't miss the cut this week, but he finished T38 in a fairly weak field, so he lost most of those five points by playing this week.

Levin's oldest event was a T55 at the 2010 Fry's, which was worth zero points even when it was fresh. Missing the cut this week didn't hurt him much. His average remains about the same, while Ryo's drops enough to fall below Levin's. Ironic that the maximum divisor, which was instituted to make the rankings more fair to golfers who played more often, hurt Ishikawa this week.

The good news is that the US Open has two cutoffs for the top 60 in the WGR --- June 11, and May 21. Since Ryo was in the top 60 as of May 21, he doesn't lose his spot in the US Open.

Fascinating. I suppose I just know very little about the OWGR, but I guess that makes a little sense. Out of curiousity, where did you get this info? Looks like I need to read up.

My wife is away and I just bought an annual pass at a local course.  I was going to play as many rounds as I could fit in this weekend but just realized the open might screw that up.  Anybody know the details for the weekend coverage?  According to this site coverage doesn't start until 4pm est.  But doesn't the golf channel usually have earlier coverage?  The golf channel tv schedule has "Live From" on both mornings, that's just Brandle Chamblee Tiger-bashing, right?  Not live coverage.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by dsc123

My wife is away and I just bought an annual pass at a local course.  I was going to play as many rounds as I could fit in this weekend but just realized the open might screw that up.  Anybody know the details for the weekend coverage?  According to this site coverage doesn't start until 4pm est.  But doesn't the golf channel usually have earlier coverage?  The golf channel tv schedule has "Live From" on both mornings, that's just Brandle Chamblee Tiger-bashing, right?  Not live coverage.

I thought ESPN was running with some US Open coverage.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

Originally Posted by brocks

The good news is that the US Open has two cutoffs for the top 60 in the WGR --- June 11, and May 21. Since Ryo was in the top 60 as of May 21, he doesn't lose his spot in the US Open.

Good.  Because I may have fired my manager/agent (not that I would necessarily have one) if I would have lost my spot in the US Open simply by playing the week before the US Open.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

ESPN is going from 9-12 (PST) and then NBC (?) is picking it up from 12-3 on Thurs and Fri.  Saturday and Sunday it's all NBC from 1-7 (PST).

The extremely late coverage is the only thing I hate about watching the US Open compared to the British Open (aka TOC), although it does allow me to get in a full round before coverage starts.

Oh yeah, IT'S US OPEN WEEK B***HES!

Brandon

Originally Posted by Mr3Wiggle

What I can find has ESPN coverage earlier on Thursday and Friday, but not on the weekend.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

My wife is away and I just bought an annual pass at a local course.  I was going to play as many rounds as I could fit in this weekend but just realized the open might screw that up.  Anybody know the details for the weekend coverage?  According to [COLOR=853C3A][URL=http://blog.timesunion.com/sportsmedia/2012-u-s-open-golf-television-schedule/9940/]this site[/URL][/COLOR] coverage doesn't start until 4pm est.  But doesn't the golf channel usually have earlier coverage?  The golf channel tv schedule has "Live From" on both mornings, that's just Brandle Chamblee Tiger-bashing, right?  Not live coverage.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/champ_experience/viewing_schedule.html

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

ESPN is showing "Euro 2012" prior to the NBC coverage of the Open.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Originally Posted by dsc123

What I can find has ESPN coverage earlier on Thursday and Friday, but not on the weekend.

I'm going to DVR it so I can fast forward through all the commercials.

Driver:  Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
3W:  Callaway GBB II 12.5*, 5W:  Callaway Diablo 18* Neutral
3H:  Callaway Razr X, 4H:  Callaway Razr X
5-PW:  Callaway X Tour
GW:  Callaway X Tour 54*, SW:  Callaway X Tour 58*
Putter:  Callaway ITrax, Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2, Ping Anser 4

When are tee times typically announced?

LIVE VIDEO (Web, iPhone, Android)
Marquee Group 1

7:33 AM PT

Marquee Group 2

1:29 PM PT

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

That article shows the funky pairings.  Please excuse me if this has been posted before, as I have not backtracked to double check.

• The all-Korean, all-initialed pairing of K. J. Choi, Y. E. Yang, and K. T. Kim
  • The all-UK former and current No. 1 players Lee Westwood, Rory McIlroy and Luke Donald
  • The long-putter pairing of Adam Scott, Keegan Bradley and Webb Simpson
  • The former U.S. Open winners from around the world pairing of South Africa's Ernie Els, Australia's Geoff Ogilvy and Argentina's Angel Cabrera
  • The dark-horse major winners pairing of Stewart Cink, Trevor Immelman and Lucas Glover.
  • Carl Pettersson, Charl Schwartzel; Charles Howell III - Carl, Charl, Charles
  • Robert Karlsson, Bob Estes, Robert Rock - you get the point
  • Gonzalo Fernandez-Castańo, SangMoon Bae, Rafael Cabrera-Bello - double surnames
  • Kaymer, Mahan, and Justin Rose; winners of the last three WGCs

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

• Administrator

Also, Sunday we'll do our typical live chat. Book it! We have a good time so plan on popping in.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

I looked on the US Open site and cbssportsline and nothing showed up.  But according to that article, it appears the Watson, Woods, Mickelson grouping will be the "featured group #1."

Quote:

The Woods/Mickelson/Watson group will start their opening round Thursday at 10:33 a.m. Eastern time; on Friday the group tees off at 4:18 p.m. Eastern time

Note: This thread is 4353 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!