IGNORED

*commissioner* stern should be fired!

meenman
Note: This thread is 4302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I get that he wasnt suggesting that spouses should be abused, but what if one of his coaches or players said the same thing? What would their fines/suspensions be? I didnt think it was possible but this guy may be more out of touch than Bud Selig.

Also the writer of this story should be fired for calling Rome a *shock jock* - he/she/it obviously does not get the show

NY Post link

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Oh please. "Have you stopped beating your wife yet?" is the example that's always used as a loaded question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_question

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Umm this is a controversy? Aren't there serious problems in the world? Are we so bored and vapid we get excited over a rhetorical device?

My Bag: Nike Vapor X
Driver: Diablo Octane Tour Project 7.0  X-Stiff
Woods: Callaway RAZR 3 wood Adilla NVS 65 g X-Stiff
Hybrids: Taylor Made Burner Superlaunch 3-18*, 4-21*, UST Mamiya Proforce V2 75
Irons: Maltby TE Forged 5-PW TrueTemper X-300
Wedges: Maltby Tricept 52*/6, 56*/10; 60*/6 TrueTemper S-400
Putter: Yes! Emma 37" Belly Putter 
Ball: NXT Tour

I didnt explain it properly, but I understand and agree with what you are saying, but tell me a coach or player wouldnt have been suspended for saying the same thing.

Follow me on twitter

• Administrator
I didnt explain it properly, but I understand and agree with what you are saying, but tell me a coach or player wouldnt have been suspended for saying the same thing.

I don't think so.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

I don't think so.

Me either.  A player or coach wouldn't be suspended, let alone fired.  That's ridiculous.  And also firing the writer of the story?  Come on...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by meenman

I get that he wasnt suggesting that spouses should be abused, but what if one of his coaches or players said the same thing? What would their fines/suspensions be? I didnt think it was possible but this guy may be more out of touch than Bud Selig.

Also the writer of this story should be fired for calling Rome a *shock jock* - he/she/it obviously does not get the show

NY Post link

Obviously you've forgotten about the 'Chris Evert' incident.  The question Rome asked was of shock value, but Stern should know better in terms of responding in that manner.

Obviously you've forgotten about the 'Chris Evert' incident.  The question Rome asked was of shock value, but Stern should know better in terms of responding in that manner.

The Everett interview was rome at a different stage in his career. If you listened to the show, Rome never accused him, just told him what people were saying. Stephen A Smith asked the same question and Stern acted a bit more like a grown up. Stern is nothing more than a pompous ass and has outlived his usefulness.

Follow me on twitter

Stern has been great for the NBA.  And in 99.9% of his interviews and interactions, he has been nothing but class.  For whatever reason, he went off on Rome and didn't handle it well.

No big deal.  He shouldn't be fired, nor does it have any bearing on how well he does his job.

And Rome may be the biggest tool on the planet.

Originally Posted by meenman

The Everett interview was rome at a different stage in his career.

If you listened to the show, Rome never accused him, just told him what people were saying. Stephen A Smith asked the same question and Stern acted a bit more like a grown up.

Stern is nothing more than a pompous ass and has outlived his usefulness.

Different stage.....I'll agree, but Rome has only gone to being a step above another insufferable host, Colin Cowherd.  Using another noted blowhard Stephen A as a comparison point does nothing in my opinion for the argument.  Stern's time probably has passed, but one ill timed comment does not a legacy make.

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Stern has been great for the NBA.  And in 99.9% of his interviews and interactions, he has been nothing but class.  For whatever reason, he went off on Rome and didn't handle it well.

Agree, agree, disagree.  He is great for the NBA, always classy, straightforward, and refreshingly candid in interviews (that I've heard).

And, I thought he handled Rome extremely well.  Pretty much everybody (I think) would be insulted by somebody asking you a direct question that insinuates you are a cheater or have no ethics, and they have every right to feel that way.  And most of us would probably shut down, end the interview or go off on him a lot worse than Stern did.  The first example I have is that he actually had the class to answer the question.  I would have probably just skipped to the "beat your wife" part, but Stern's first response was an actual answer to the question.  He said "No ... and shame on you for asking."  I don't think he could have been fairer.

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

Different stage.....I'll agree, but Rome has only gone to being a step above another insufferable host, Colin Cowherd.  Using another noted blowhard Stephen A as a comparison point does nothing in my opinion for the argument.  Stern's time probably has passed, but one ill timed comment does not a legacy make.

Wait, huh?  You are comparing Jim Rome to Colin Cowherd?  I am definitely missing something there.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Wait, huh?  You are comparing Jim Rome to Colin Cowherd?  I am definitely missing something there.

I'm not a real big fan of Rome....seems to be purposely polarizing not unlike Cowherd.  To each his own, though.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Agree, agree, disagree.  He is great for the NBA, always classy, straightforward, and refreshingly candid in interviews (that I've heard).

And, I thought he handled Rome extremely well.  Pretty much everybody (I think) would be insulted by somebody asking you a direct question that insinuates you are a cheater or have no ethics, and they have every right to feel that way.  And most of us would probably shut down, end the interview or go off on him a lot worse than Stern did.  The first example I have is that he actually had the class to answer the question.  I would have probably just skipped to the "beat your wife" part, but Stern's first response was an actual answer to the question.  He said "No ... and shame on you for asking."  I don't think he could have been fairer.

I'm not saying it wasn't a really dumb question and he didn't have the right to be offended/insulted and defensive.  But he still could/should have handled it better.

Rome made a fool of himself during the interview with Stern.  He point blank asked Stern if the draft lottery was fixed, c'mon did he really expect Stern to 'yes"?

I don't like Stern, but he was quite articulate in explaining that no matter how the lottery worked out, someone would create a conspiracy theory that the lottery was rigged.  He said, if Nets won it he'd have been helping out a major market team moving to a new arena.  If the Bobcats won he'd have been accused of helping out Jordan.  His retort of "have you stopped beating your wife yet" was to further demonstrate how stupid and insulting the question was.

If Rome is going to uncover a conspiracy he needs to learn how to work himself into a topic and frame questions so they're not so antagonizing.  The kicker was after Stern handed Rome his ass, Rome coyly responded, "I hope you're not going to hold this against me".

Joe Paradiso

Rome makes a fool of himself on a daily basis...

Originally Posted by ElWagonne

I'm not a real big fan of Rome....seems to be purposely polarizing not unlike Cowherd.  To each his own, though.

I wasn't taking offense to the comment as a fan of Rome, but rather as a fan of Cowherd.  Jim Rome is a joke.  Cowherd is (to me) a pretty honest and intelligent guy.

And being opinionated is fine - required for all of the radio guys - and both of those guys are very good at that.  What sets the two apart is things like the Stern interview.  I've never listened to Cowherd have any type of controversial conversation like that with anyone.  This isn't the first time Rome has done that and probably not the last.  He's a "shock jock" in the sports world, not unlike Rush Limbaugh or Howard Stern.

Did any of the anti-Rome people on here actually hear the whole interview or are you going by sound bites / your own uneducated on the topic opinion?

There was nothing antagonizing about Rome, he never accused the almighty one of fixing the lottery(matter of fact he stated that he did not believe it was fixed) - he merely stated what the public has said.

Rome and Stern have a long history and both know how to handle the other. Stern was obviously having a bad day and is showing signs that his time has long passed.

Follow me on twitter

Note: This thread is 4302 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!