IGNORED

*commissioner* stern should be fired!

meenman
Note: This thread is 4323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by meenman

Did any of the anti-Rome people on here actually hear the whole interview or are you going by sound bites / your own uneducated on the topic opinion?

There was nothing antagonizing about Rome, he never accused the almighty one of fixing the lottery(matter of fact he stated that he did not believe it was fixed) - he merely stated what the public has said.

Rome and Stern have a long history and both know how to handle the other. Stern was obviously having a bad day and is showing signs that his time has long passed.

I listened to the whole thing.  I never said Rome was antagonizing or accusatory .  It was simply a dumb question, period, no matter who asked it.  It had already been asked of Stern, and it was equally as dumb from all who asked.

Just because "the public" (Rome's idiot "Clones") are tweeting and posting about it, doesn't make it a legitimate professional topic to bring up.  And Rome made himself look even worse going on and on about it for ever after the interview.  But that's about all he does...

Driver:  :callaway: Diablo Octane
Fairway Wood:   :adams: Speedline 3W
Hybrid:   adams.gif A7OS 3 Hybrid 
Irons:   :callaway:  2004 Big Bertha 4-LW

Originally Posted by meenman

Did any of the anti-Rome people on here actually hear the whole interview or are you going by sound bites / your own uneducated on the topic opinion?

There was nothing antagonizing about Rome, he never accused the almighty one of fixing the lottery(matter of fact he stated that he did not believe it was fixed) - he merely stated what the public has said.

Rome and Stern have a long history and both know how to handle the other. Stern was obviously having a bad day and is showing signs that his time has long passed.

Yes, I did hear it and you are right, his tone was not accusatory.  But the tone really makes no difference here.  The fact that he asked the question at all is enough, because it infers that Stern is possibly a cheater and has no ethics.

Furthermore, he is hiding behind the "I'm only asking the question because other people wonder" attitude.  He's stirring the pot for no reason other than to get a rise out of people.  [And it worked quite well in that regard since everybodys talking about it]  The fact that he said he doesn't believe its fixed proves he was going for shock value.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I heard the entire interview.  Rome staged the question by stating "We all like, I'm sure even you like a good conspiracy so was the fix in for the lottery?  It wasn't until later in the interview that he admitted he didn't believe it was fixed as a way to salvage the relationship with Stern.

Quote:

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Gresh24

Just because "the public" (Rome's idiot "Clones") are tweeting and posting about it, doesn't make it a legitimate professional topic to bring up.  And Rome made himself look even worse going on and on about it for ever after the interview.  But that's about all he does...

It was more than the clones talking about the possible fix - it's been talked about since the Knicks won the rights to pick Ewing.

I really dont feel that Rome went on and on about it anymore than he should have - many morning shows the next day spent more time on the topic than Rome did on his tv and radio show combined. Of course because of that publicity, many morons out there actually think that Rome  had a history of spousal abuse.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I will say I actually enjoy Rome when (and only when) he is doing interviews.  He does a very good interview with the biggest and best in the sports world.  He is engaging, intelligent, and people are pretty candid with him.

Unfortunately that's about 10% of his radio show.   The rest is filled with, many times, completely ignorant rambling and "takes" on non-sports related things.  If you aren't a "clone", you don't have a clue what he is talking about 75% of the time.  I'm shocked that adults can get into the stupid "smack off" and "hack off" crap, and starting every communication with him with "Holy Freaking Crap..."   It's so elementary it's ridiculous.

Rome was a tough interview before he got he big pay day now he's tries to be a Lion with a kittens bite.  He came out of the gate looking to put Stern on the defensive and Stern knocked him down.  The question as it was worded was stupid and antagonizing.  He could have at least built the case first for why some (since the Ewing draft) think the lottery is used to reward the most worthy/needy team with the first pick but he didn't.   Did he expect Stern to respond, "You got me Jim, it's all a fix, you are a genius for asking me such a direct question."

Rome pushed hard right out of the gate and then whined and acted wounded when Stern got pissy.  Rome went 100% into damage control mode and whined on how he doesn't think the draft is fixed but as a journalist he had to ask and claiming he couldn't see the relevance in wife beating comment.

The old Rome would have never said, "I hope you don't hold this against me".

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Gresh24

I listened to the whole thing.  I never said Rome was antagonizing or accusatory .  It was simply a dumb question, period, no matter who asked it.  It had already been asked of Stern, and it was equally as dumb from all who asked.

I think it is a legitimate topic--the league owns the team and the fact that they have a lottery at all will always lead to these questions because a lottery "could" be controlled.  The Tim Donaghy scandal really hurt the league's credibility and even today the officiating is so bizarre at times that things don't always appear on the up and up with the NBA.  I have no idea what the truth is but Stern seems to think he is above reproach with these questions and I think its reasonable to be a little suspicious of the NBA

Originally Posted by mck

I think it is a legitimate topic--the league owns the team and the fact that they have a lottery at all will always lead to these questions because a lottery "could" be controlled.  The Tim Donaghy scandal really hurt the league's credibility and even today the officiating is so bizarre at times that things don't always appear on the up and up with the NBA.  I have no idea what the truth is but Stern seems to think he is above reproach with these questions and I think its reasonable to be a little suspicious of the NBA

Feel free to talk about the topic (or the conspiracy theaories) all you want, but it was still a dumb question.  As others have pointed out, he isn't going to say it was fixed, and there is no explination or defense needed to prove it wasn't.

Note: This thread is 4323 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!