IGNORED

Golf Vs. Guitar

Domenic
Note: This thread is 4289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Domenic

thanks for the advice. My mind changes with the minute. One minute I want humbuckers, then single coil, solid, then semi hollow. Good grief! I'll check ebay. Anyone have prefernces for ex. Epiphone Casiono because......grazie

Haven't read the whole thread, but you can get a guitar wired so that you can split your humbuckers down to single coils giving you the best of both worlds. I use to own a Dion Powermark II (awesome guitar) that had two humbuckers set up in the classic les paul style but there were two little micro-switches that allowed you to split the front or back humbucker into a single coil, the options seemed almost limitless. Doulble humbuckers, neck humbucker only, bridge humbucker only, single neck coil + bridge humbucker, neck humbucker + single coil bridge, two singles etc...etc...etc... I could make that one guitar sound like pretty much any guitar on earth with a little playing around.

Daion_BR_02.jpg

I don't know if you can see the micro switches, just above the volume knobs. Man I miss that guitar, I'm getting a little weepy.......

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks man, but I can't fiddle around, I just need an easy pick up and jam guitar. And what's a dick measuring contest?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Domenic,

Take your time and go to stores and play a bunch of guitars.  Find the style you like for the music you would like to learn to play.  Then look for used ones on Craigslist or local ads.  Always play the guitar you intend to buy to make sure it is up to your standards.  Guitars can look pretty and play awful.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Domenic,

Take your time and go to stores and play a bunch of guitars.  Find the style you like for the music you would like to learn to play.  Then look for used ones on Craigslist or local ads.  Always play the guitar you intend to buy to make sure it is up to your standards.  Guitars can look pretty and play awful.

Thanks. I know eventually I'm gonna have to go to Guitar Center and just try out like 50 guitars. But until I've got cash, my mom won't take me. Even when I do, it'll be a struggle. If you knew her.....Anyways, the same way I made threads about which club to buy, I know in the end its up to me to try and buy.

Originally Posted by moparman426

What the hell are you talking about?

yeah I don't really know.

Tele has been mentioned a few times and I highly recommend Logan Customs who has a shop on eBay and builds up telecasters from parts companys and finishes them off with an impeccable setup. You can spend anywhere from 200 on up depending on what you want or what he has.

Do a search on Agile guitars.  They make good quality guitar in most of the major flavors (Strat, Tele, Les Paul, etc...) and are very price effective.  Google is your friend  :).

Originally Posted by lhrocker

Do a search on Agile guitars.  They make good quality guitar in most of the major flavors (Strat, Tele, Les Paul, etc...) and are very price effective.  Google is your friend  :).

I actually have an Agile LP Copy the 2000 model I believe. Real sturdy guitar with good electronics for the price. Actually been looking to sell it because I've been at school and haven't had time/room for an electric and amp and just keep my acoustic on hand.

Originally Posted by Golfaxis

Tele has been mentioned a few times and I highly recommend Logan Customs who has a shop on eBay and builds up telecasters from parts companys and finishes them off with an impeccable setup. You can spend anywhere from 200 on up depending on what you want or what he has.

great I'll check it out. Thanks man! But I'm not sure about the agile. Im sure they're good, but I kinda want yknow a "major" brand. But Im not saying Agile is bad.

Moved to the Grill Room because this stopped being about golf a long time ago. (Which is fine, because now it's in the Grill Room.)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by pixel5

Paul Reed Smith. Although it might take you a while to save $2000.

Regardless, you aren't going to get a good guitar for less than $500. Even for a beginner.

I bought my first "super-strat" for about $300. A used (obviously) 80s AMERICAN Kramer. American Kramer body and neck, and all around best pickup I have ever had.

Look in the used section at your music store, I bet you will find at least a mid-range Ibanez or something for 300-500.

Or you could look at rondomusic.com. The agile Les Paul copy series are great (I own one), and if you are going to spend up to $500 on one, you can bet you will get a quality guitar. Even their lower end models (around 200-300) are probably the best you can get new for that price range.

:::Edit - I refer you to the previous posts regarding Rondomusic/Agile for evidence that I'm not just whistling dixie here:::

The guitar advice in this thread is quite a bit worse than most of the golf advice on this forum (logically I guess).  You can get a nice guitar at just about every price point above $250.  You either need to know what you're looking for, or make sure it's set up properly after you get it.  My American Deluxe Strat HSS is my "best" guitar (and it's really nice), but it's not noticeably "better" than my Mexican Teles, or my Korean Schecter.  The Schecter I bought used, with the plastic still on the pickguard for $250, and it's fantastic.  I had a regular American Strat for a while that was a dog, and I had 2 Chinese Ibanez Artcores that I never should have let go.  Used/ebay is your best option for getting a mid-range guitar at the lowest possible price - all kinds of really nice Mexican Teles or Korean Schecters/PRS SEs can be had.  If buying new and spending $350 or less my top recommendation is a Classic Vibe Squier Strat or Tele.

The Squier VM wouldn't be a bad choice, but as was previously said, you can get a decent guitar at just about any price range. Personally, if I were you, I'd look at the Fender mexican made strats or telecasters. I've played plenty, and for the money, the quality on them is good. The electronics are good, the materials are good, and the construction is good (all relatively speaking, of course).

However, while the quality of parts and construction is important, it doesn't mean squat if it isn't well maintained. A $3,000 gibson custom shop Les Paul can be built great, but that doesn't matter if the neck isn't straight and the string height is off. Whatever you end up buying, read around online and learn how to properly set up a guitar. This includes adjusting the string height, truss rod (neck), intonation, and keeping it clean and cared for. You'd be amazed at how well an inexpensive guitar will play if set up properly.

Just check used ads often, be patient, and you come across 'the one', go for it.

Domenic,

I've owned well over 50 electric guitars in my 30 + years of playing seriously (buying guitars is more addictive than golf clubs - they actually have a clinical name for it "GAS" - gear acquisition syndrome).     in your price range, the best guitar I've ever owned is made by a company called Cort (they're the largest gutiar manufacturer in the world & make guitars for about every popular manufacturer you can name).      Without question, the most versatile solid body guitar is a "superstrat" - it will have a humbucker at the bridge & 2 single coils.    If I were you, this is the guitar I would buy to learn on ... it's the most bang for the buck I've ever seen - all the components are good - tuners, pickups, bridge & won't require upgrading later on when you get to be a better player: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CORT-G-SERIES-G250-TAB-BLUEBUCKER-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-/190691139772?pt=Guitar&hash;=item2c6613e0bc

PS - if you were to make him an offer, I bet you could shave $50 off his asking price - that is an outstanding deal on a very nice guitar which will blow an Epiphone or Squire so far out of the water they'd feel like they were hit with a howitzer...

PSS - the G250 series is a  huge upgrade from the G200 series - it's well worth the $75 or so upcharge

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Wow inthehole!  I thought I was bad with GAS!  I've had maybe 25 in my years!  Currently have 4 acoustics, 2 electrics, 1 homemade lap steel, 1 ukulele and my very first Harmony made into a Hawaiian lap steel (it was unplayable otherwise).

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 4289 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!