IGNORED

What's the rush? Golf's obsession with slow play.

newtogolf
Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you play quick because that's how you enjoy playing a round of golf?  If you owned your own course that no one else played on would you still play a round in less than 2 hours?  If not what's the motivation to want to play so fast?  It sounds like some of the guys get really stressed out (like my friend) if a round takes longer than 3 hours, so I'm curious if in the end you're golfing out of enjoyment and relaxation or are you driven so much by the goal to get better you're just trying to get as many rounds in as possible?

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

All that being said, I play really quick... I played last week on an open course and was done in an hour and fifty-five minutes... the week before I played the front nine up until number eight where I hit a group on the tee and decided to jump to the ninth but then saw that there was a threesome up there... since I didn't want to get stuck waiting in the heat I went back to number one as nobody had teed off since I did and I replayed the front nine and then continued on... I caught up with the group I jumped earlier again on the 14th tee box, apparently the group ahead of them had packed it in by then and they let me through, but even playing 25 holes I was done in about 2.5 hours.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I like to play fast because I am very busy. I play 9 holes rounds mostly, and do it in under 1.5 hours easy. If I am going to be stuck behind people and it will take over 2 hours, many times I have to just hit the range and chip and put instead so I can make my other obligations.

I don't sukk at golf, so it's no fun waiting on slo-mo-fo hackers who can't hit the ball in the air.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by BuckeyeNut

I don't sukk at golf, so it's no fun waiting on slo-mo-fo hackers who can't hit the ball in the air.

And it probably wasn't fun for any skilled player to wait on you when you first started and sucked.

Newer players are slower for two reasons.  They take way more strokes, and they just don't have the actual feel of how long they are taking.  Both things improve with the frequency of play.  But there are always new people coming into the game, so its always going to be somewhat of an issue.

I started golfing late this spring, and almost all my rounds have been alone. My schedule only allows for 5:00pm or later tee times, and I play them often. I average around 100 strokes per round now and it never takes more then 2 hours to finish. I don't consider myself a fast player, but since I'm slightly crunched for time, I guess I am in a hurry. 4 hours, even if your with your buddies, it seems long to me but I'm new lol. I would never tell someone I was golfing with to speed it up. If he was super slow to me, I would just tough it out. If I new someone to be slow from a past experience, I would not play with that person, and if that person asked why, I would just say your to slow for me lol, no hard feelings.

Some people are saying, being pressured to play faster is like work. Being out there all day is like work to me lol.

Sincerely, Jim

I know where all of the slow players are after reading the replies in this thread.

When my wife was learning to play, the only instruction I gave her was to keep up. She could shoot 125 and we could still finish in under 4 hours.

Four hours. A foursome simply shouldn't take any longer than that. I played with my wife today and we finished in 2:45. We weren't rushing, we each have average pre-shot routines, but we were ready to play when it was our turn to hit.

Slow players never seem to know or believe that they're slow. If you're taking longer than four hours with no group in front of you, some/all of the following are happening (I'll use the word 'you' to mean anyone in your group):

- PLAY FROM THE CORRECT TEES!!!!!!! Look, golf is supposed to be fun. If you can't reach a 400 yard par 4 with driver/5i or less, you are playing from the wrong tees. If you want to play a game that resembles the professional game, you should have 8i or less into all but one or two par 4's. If that means playing from the red tees, so be it. Lose your pride and tee it forward.

Note: When I want to really evaluate my short game, I'll play with my wife from the reds. I'll have some sort of wedge into every par 4, and that's leaving driver in the bag on almost every hole.

We play some golf at Paiute in Vegas. From the tips, The Wolf course is the longest track in Nevada. We ALWAYS see a group that has no business playing from that set of tees back there hacking away. If you can't break 90, move up at least to the white tees.

- You are not ready when it's your turn to hit. That means that you've been dawdling around while others hit instead of preparing to hit your ball. Instead, look over your shot before it's your turn, get your yardage, decide what club you're going to hit, and as soon as it's you, go through your pre-shot and hit the damn ball.

- You insist on riding in the cart to every single ball. Instead, when you pull up to the first ball (and if your ball is reasonably close - say within 30 yards), grab a couple of sticks and start moving toward your ball. You'll get more exercise, too.

- On the green, you start reading your putt when it's your turn. Instead, start reading your putt as you walk up to the green. If you aren't first to putt, get your read while others are putting, then when it's your turn, step up and roll your rock.

- You talk/text on your phone. TURN THE DAMN THING OFF --OR-- IF YOU USE IT FOR A GPS, USE IT ONLY FOR A GPS!

- After every shot, you go to your bag and replace your iron covers (ugh) before getting in and driving to the next ball. Instead, get in the cart with your club, drive to your partner's ball and, when he gets out, get out and replace your headcovers then.

- You think chatting it up with the beverage cart girl means you have a shot with her. You don't. Buy your stuff, tip her, and move along.

- You plumb bob every putt from two sides. If you can't break 90, stop plumb bobbing....you probably don't know how, anyway.

- You pull a club, look your shot over, then decide to walk 50 feet to change clubs. TAKE MORE THAN ONE CLUB WITH YOU! If you're at the 150 yard marker, you KNOW that it has to be one of - at most - three clubs. They weigh less than a pound. C'mon.....

- After every hole, you spend an entire minute marking everyone's score before driving to the next tee. STOP IT! Get in your cart, drive to the next tee, and then mark scores. People are waiting for you to pull away before they hit.

- You're on a par 4, it's your 9th shot, and you have yet to get on the green. Pick up....it's torture watching you.

- You've watched Furyk putt and you've decided that he has a cool pre-shot routine. When you're making millions playing golf, you too can back off of every putt. Until then, stop it.

- You have five minutes to look for a ball. If you lose multiple balls during a round, wave the group behind you through.

Now, on to something that the marshalls at our course don't understand: Foursomes have priority on the golf course, followed by thressomes, doubles, then singles. SINGLES HAVE NO STANDING ON THE GOLF COURSE. It isn't 'proper etiquette' to allow a single to play through, though it may be a nice thing to do. If you're behind a group that has priority, you DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PLAY THROUGH! This fact alone demands that foursomes make their best effort to complete a round in under four hours.

Do rounds sometimes take 4.5-5 hours? Of course they do, and slow play shouldn't ruin the fun time you're supposed to be having on the course. Still, even if you aren't playing 'ready golf', a round shouldn't take more than 4 hours.

There's a 92 year old man in my Monday group. He shoots his age occassionally and isn't a particularly fast walker. Our foursome finishes in about 3:45 with him.

Again, you can shoot 100+ and still finish in under four hours. Pay attention, be ready to play when it's your turn, and have fun!

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

You guys who are saying you play two hour rounds are most likely by yourself with no one in front of you. I have no problem with a foursome playing a 4 hour round. I dont like playing polo from my golf cart either. Haha

• Administrator

4 hours is plenty of time to play 18. It should be the high limit.

If the course is empty, I've played in a threesome in just over two hours without any real rushing. Three is more common.

4 hours should be the HIGH limit for just about any round of golf.

That's not rushing; it's just not dawdling.

Slow players don't admit that they're slow, or realize it. You can have a fast pre-shot routine and still be a slow player (and you can take your time on your pre-shot routine and be very fast player). Players don't do the simple things that save time. You can't talk to your buddy while he's getting ready to hit his shot, but you can get ready to hit yours, so you don't have to sit there or stand there and watch him. Unless your ball is in "the cone of danger" you can be standing right near your ball, ready to play after he plays. You can bring the right clubs. You can park the cart (walk or motorized) in the right places. Etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why is pace of play the #1 issue in golf?  It really shouldn't be an issue if everyone would just play ready golf, which is why it is so infuriating to be stuck on a Saturday 6 hour death march around the course waiting to hit on every shot and paying dearly for the privilege. Yesterday I saw a group playing from the tips - one guy was hitting it 300+ off the tee, the other 3 guys in his group combined couldn't hit is 300. Dink..50 yards off the tee. Dink.. 100 yard burner. Dink...75 yard slice OB. BAM.. 300 down the middle. Only took them 20 minutes to play the first hole. First time I've seen a ranger chew someone out on the first hole.

The OTHER reason I think you here so much about slow play in the golf news is the golf industry. The golf industry is seeing participation rates go down and the primary reason cited is time. Supposedly people don't play more because golf takes too much time and they are busy. If only golf didn't take as much time, the theory goes, then participation would go up. Personally I think this is BS - people that are into golf usually find the time. They play 9 after work, get a 6am tee time on Saturday, etc to get their golf fix. The industry like to ignore the cost of playing the game - clubs, green fees, etc.. The industry needs more players so they can sell $300-500 drivers each year with the latest and greatest technology. What would happen to the industry if everyone played their clubs for at least 5 years? What if no one bought a new driver in 2013? The industry would collapse. We can't let that happen so we need to "grow the game" so we have more players to feed the beast.

It's really simple folks, just keep the group in front of you in sight. If you can't see them playing the next hole then you are behind and need to pickup the pace to close the gap. This should be printed out, laminated, and placed in every golf cart in the country:

Originally Posted by LovinItAll

Slow players never seem to know or believe that they're slow. If you're taking longer than four hours with no group in front of you, some/all of the following are happening (I'll use the word 'you' to mean anyone in your group):

- PLAY FROM THE CORRECT TEES!!!!!!! Look, golf is supposed to be fun. If you can't reach a 400 yard par 4 with driver/5i or less, you are playing from the wrong tees. If you want to play a game that resembles the professional game, you should have 8i or less into all but one or two par 4's. If that means playing from the red tees, so be it. Lose your pride and tee it forward.

- You are not ready when it's your turn to hit. That means that you've been dawdling around while others hit instead of preparing to hit your ball. Instead, look over your shot before it's your turn, get your yardage, decide what club you're going to hit, and as soon as it's you, go through your pre-shot and hit the damn ball.

- You insist on riding in the cart to every single ball. Instead, when you pull up to the first ball (and if your ball is reasonably close - say within 30 yards), grab a couple of sticks and start moving toward your ball. You'll get more exercise, too.

- On the green, you start reading your putt when it's your turn. Instead, start reading your putt as you walk up to the green. If you aren't first to putt, get your read while others are putting, then when it's your turn, step up and roll your rock.

- You talk/text on your phone. TURN THE DAMN THING OFF --OR-- IF YOU USE IT FOR A GPS, USE IT ONLY FOR A GPS!

- After every shot, you go to your bag and replace your iron covers (ugh) before getting in and driving to the next ball. Instead, get in the cart with your club, drive to your partner's ball and, when he gets out, get out and replace your headcovers then.

- You think chatting it up with the beverage cart girl means you have a shot with her. You don't. Buy your stuff, tip her, and move along.

- You plumb bob every putt from two sides. If you can't break 90, stop plumb bobbing....you probably don't know how, anyway.

- You pull a club, look your shot over, then decide to walk 50 feet to change clubs. TAKE MORE THAN ONE CLUB WITH YOU! If you're at the 150 yard marker, you KNOW that it has to be one of - at most - three clubs. They weigh less than a pound. C'mon.....

- After every hole, you spend an entire minute marking everyone's score before driving to the next tee. STOP IT! Get in your cart, drive to the next tee, and then mark scores. People are waiting for you to pull away before they hit.

- You're on a par 4, it's your 9th shot, and you have yet to get on the green. Pick up....it's torture watching you.

- You've watched Furyk putt and you've decided that he has a cool pre-shot routine. When you're making millions playing golf, you too can back off of every putt. Until then, stop it.

- You have five minutes to look for a ball. If you lose multiple balls during a round, wave the group behind you through. Or look for 1 minute and then drop.

Again, you can shoot 100+ and still finish in under four hours. Pay attention, be ready to play when it's your turn, and have fun!

I'd add that you don't have to spend 5 minutes looking for it and the more balls you lose the less time you should spend looking for it. Look for a minute or two and then drop another ball and move on.  If you lose a lot of balls then play cheap balls. The entire course does not want to wait while you send out a search party for your $5 Pro-v1

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

You are about 10 years out of date. The rulebook was adjusted in the earlier 2000s to make say that a single was a group and had all the standard rights on a course. Your club policy might be different. Singles don't have a right to play through. They have a right(just like any other group) to play through if your group is slow (i.e. a hole out of position).

Quote:

Now, on to something that the marshalls at our course don't understand: Foursomes have priority on the golf course, followed by thressomes, doubles, then singles. SINGLES HAVE NO STANDING ON THE GOLF COURSE. It isn't 'proper etiquette' to allow a single to play through, though it may be a nice thing to do. If you're behind a group that has priority, you DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO PLAY THROUGH! This fact alone demands that foursomes make their best effort to complete a round in under four hours.

Zipaloid, where i play i 'rent' the time spent on the course, not the holes played.  I can rent 9 holes for 2 hrs, 5 mins. Regardless whether anyone else in on the course or not, that is what i have contracted. If i play slowly even if no one behind or in front,  the course rangers can chase me off. If i resist they can ban me from play, which is death because there is no other course anywhere near.

Originally Posted by joekelly

Zipaloid, where i play i 'rent' the time spent on the course, not the holes played.  I can rent 9 holes for 2 hrs, 5 mins. Regardless whether anyone else in on the course or not, that is what i have contracted. If i play slowly even if no one behind or in front,  the course rangers can chase me off. If i resist they can ban me from play, which is death because there is no other course anywhere near.

Wow, really? I've never heard of this concept. That would definitely encourage players to speed up!

Originally Posted by joekelly

Where is this course? Link? I really like this idea.

“You don't have the game you played last year or last week. You only have today's game. It may be far from your best, but that's all you've got. Harden your heart and make the best of it.”

~ Walter Hagen

I would be curious to know how it works out. I can see a lot of tempers flaring up about accusations of slow play at fast paces(i.e. you are playing 3:15 pace and I want to play 2:45). Due more people hit into the group in front?

Originally Posted by 1puttit

Where is this course? Link? I really like this idea.

Originally Posted by x129

You are about 10 years out of date. The rulebook was adjusted in the earlier 2000s to make say that a single was a group and had all the standard rights on a course. Your club policy might be different. Singles don't have a right to play through. They have a right(just like any other group) to play through if your group is slow (i.e. a hole out of position).

Quote:

The point was - and still is - that there is a priority on the golf course, to wit:

1) Foursomes

2) Threesomes

3) Twosomes

4) Singles

There is no ' right to play through' ever. If a group is truly out of position, it is the responsibility of the out-of-position group to get back into position. Allowing a person(s) to play through is a courtesy (not to be confused with etiquette) that is sometimes afforded faster groups by slower groups. Here's why letting people play through is not in any way standard:

- Our club will send out singles and twosomes on the weekend (not my call or it wouldn't happen). They will ALWAYS be waiting. Even if there were somewhere to go in front of our foursome, as soon as we let people through (and we do from time to time), others expect the same. We can't let every faster group through. We play in four hours or less provided the group in front of us is playing at that pace - today we finished in 3:45, the place was packed, and we waited on every shot. We start letting folks through and the starters who aren't sharp enough to figure it out then think we're playing slowly.

Sure, if someone loses a ball, wants to search for it, and there's somewhere to go in front of us, we'll let a group of any size through. We won't let anyone through so that we can then wait on them every shot.

People that gripe about slow play typically fall into one of these categories:

1) They legitimately have a complaint because the group in front of them is, in fact, playing slowly

2) A single or double wants to hurry up and finish. Sorry, find some friends, some patience, or skip a hole as long as you don't make the 'skipees' wait on you....ever.

I'm not in any way a proponent of slow play - quite the opposite. I won't, however, start letting players through as long as my group is keeping pace.

I HATE SLOW PLAY(ERS)!!!!

In The Bag: - Patience - Persistence - Perseverance - Platitudes

• Administrator

The point was - and still is - that there is a priority on the golf course, to wit:

No there isn't.

I agree that it doesn't always make sense to let faster groups through - for example if there are no holes open within a group or two ahead - but you're wrong about the priority of groups.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The USGA happens to differ with your priority list. They are very explicit about the standing of singles on the course. Now your course can do whatever they want. But don't pretend it is some universal rule.

If you waiting on the group in front, you don't let people through. No one expects you to let any group behind you through in that situation.  Yeah I am aware that there are some singles that expect to be let through. They are nuts. If you a hole behind the group in front and people are waiting on you (doesn't matter how many), you let them through. This isn't rocket science.

1) Foursomes

2) Threesomes

3) Twosomes

4) Singles

There is no 'right to play through' ever. If a group is truly out of position, it is the responsibility of the out-of-position group to get back into position. Allowing a person(s) to play through is a courtesy (not to be confused with etiquette) that is sometimes afforded faster groups by slower groups. Here's why letting people play through is not in any way standard:

- Our club will send out singles and twosomes on the weekend (not my call or it wouldn't happen). They will ALWAYS be waiting. Even if there were somewhere to go in front of our foursome, as soon as we let people through (and we do from time to time), others expect the same. We can't let every faster group through. We play in four hours or less provided the group in front of us is playing at that pace - today we finished in 3:45, the place was packed, and we waited on every shot. We start letting folks through and the starters who aren't sharp enough to figure it out then think we're playing slowly.

Sure, if someone loses a ball, wants to search for it, and there's somewhere to go in front of us, we'll let a group of any size through. We won't let anyone through so that we can then wait on them every shot.

People that gripe about slow play typically fall into one of these categories:

1) They legitimately have a complaint because the group in front of them is, in fact, playing slowly

2) A single or double wants to hurry up and finish. Sorry, find some friends, some patience, or skip a hole as long as you don't make the 'skipees' wait on you....ever.

I'm not in any way a proponent of slow play - quite the opposite. I won't, however, start letting players through as long as my group is keeping pace.

I HATE SLOW PLAY(ERS)!!!!

I understand - and so would the faster players - that if there's nowhere to go, there's nowhere to go.

But what I highlighted seems to be a contradiction. If you're playing in 4 hours or less as a foursome, there's not going to be too many instances of having to let players through.

'Courtesy' or 'etiquette' or whatever, to me it's just a matter of common sense. If there's holes open in front of you & the group behind is crawling up your butt, let them through. Don't care how many are in your group & in theirs. So this 'Single players not having standing', that just sounds like a handy excuse to not do what just makes sense to do. And I still don't understand why the slower group would have any kind of issue. You want to take your time, fine. Understand that others don't. Let them through. Then everyone has a nice day.

Note: This thread is 3766 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!