IGNORED

Sharpie line on the seam?

Note: This thread is 4964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Line on seam?

• Yes ,I need that line for all putts.
    • Yes, need it for some.
    • No, I don't need one.

I prefer a line through the side logo as my "mark" rather than some scribbled initials. I will try and use different color sharpies to do this, so my ball stands out from the others, and it definitely helps me get putts closer to the cup. they don't go in though.

that snap-on cap that comes with the sharpie is MONEY, perfect thick line EVERY TIME.
WITB

Callaway FT-5 11°
Callaway X-HOT 15°
Sonartec HB-001 19° & 23°Callaway X-22 5-PWTitleist Vokey 200 Series 52°Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 56°Titleist Vokey Special Grind 60°Scotty Cameron Mizuno M-100

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I mark my ball for identification, I don't use a line, nor do I believe that it is more than a rough reference for alignment. I would go so far as to stipulate that if a player was to use that line and nothing else to align his stance, he would almost never make a putt.

IMO, it's much more of a mental confidence boost than it is a physical alignment aid. In that respect it might really help one who uses it, because making a good stroke on a putt is directly proportional to the confidence level of the person hitting the putt. But I have a hard time believing that a 1-1/2 inch long line (ok 1.68 inches) is long enough for someone to actually be able to accurately aim a 20 foot put with, using that and only that for setup. In reality, you look at the hole and whether you realize it or not, at least subconsciously you adjust your aim.

I use the spot putting method... just pick out a spot on the green about 2 feet in front of my ball on the line of play, and set up to that, and I don't even look at the hole until I've finished taking my stance. Once I'm aligned, I look at the hole to "feel" the distance, then strike the ball, no readjustment. I may not always read the putt correctly, and I may miss the speed, but I almost always hit the spot I set up to, without the help of a line on the ball. I have seen guys use the line and the spot method together, but I don't see them putting any better than I do just because of the line. And the line sure won't help a misread....

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
While I mark my ball for identification, I don't use a line, nor do I believe that it is more than a rough reference for alignment. I would go so far as to stipulate that if a player was to use that line and nothing else to align his stance, he would almost never make a putt.

I use the sidestamps on the new Pro V1x (the "AIM" technology) or, when I play the TP Black, the sidestamp on there (no arrows, but it says "

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I tried using the line for a few weeks, but I couldn't get comfortable aiming the line on the ball to the line of the putt. I'd line up the line, stand over the ball, look at the hole, adjust the ball, on and on. It turned into a situation where I was constantly second guessing the line on the ball and I started pulling a lot of putts.

I'm more of a feel putter anyway. Very rarely do I feel like I didn't hit the putt where I wanted to. My problems are more to do with pace and reading breaks.
In my bag:
The failed hopes and dreams of 25 years of golf (on DG S300 shafts with Lamkin Crossline midsize grips)

IMO, anyone that doesnt benefit from that line is making a subconcious error in their stroke.

If you can roll the ball purely, end over end ON your line, then the line on the ball will help. If you take your set up, THEN adjust your line and face angle, the line on the ball becomes useless. In addition if you have a hard time adjusting that line on the ball, to your line on the surface consistently, the it wont work for you. You HAVE to be able to trust that line. Which wont happen if you dont make square contact with the ball. If you regularly push the ball (and you can still be a good putter doing that) or similar unorthodox movement, the line wont work.

The fact is, after about 5 or so feet, the only thing that matters is speed. If you can consistently putt the ball straight and purely for 5 feet, then you WILL make putts.

If the line isnt helping for those first few feet, i can absolutely guarantee that there is a hitch in your stroke, an alignment issue, misfit putter or some combination of all of those. Like I said, that doesnt make you a bad putter by default, but it does mean there is another issue at play that stops the alignment tool from working for you.

I don't mark my ball mostly because I think it looks tacky and mars my new pearl. However I will use the "oneplatinum" to give me a lline to hit the ball along. I do believe you should look at the hole and concentrate on were you want the ball to end up. In the hole.

Much like if you think about the lake you will hit it in the lake.

The toughest 9 inches in golf is between your ears.
have possitive thoughts and good things will happen.

let's all meditate now. oooooowwwwmmmmm

In My Bag: This week
Driver: Nike square Sumo 10.5
4-Wood: Nike square Sumo 14.5
7 wood Cleveland launcher,
5 utility 19* clevelandIrons: 4-7 Titleist 690mb 8-pw Mizuno MP 33Wedges: Gauge Design GAS II 52* and 58* Putter: Scotty Cameron TE 10 2.5TP Mills or Cameron's or Bettinardi's. let me...

Trust.....

Thats all you have to do, trust the line. When i first started using the line i didnt trust the line and i would miss the putt & if i had just trusted the line i would have got the ball closer.

I now have 99.999% trust in the sharpie line, i'm still a woefull putter, but thats not the lines fault. Atleast i know that i can put a 3-foot putt within 3-foot

In my black carry bag
Driver- 909 D2 10.5* 76g Stiff UST Proforce V2
3-Wood 909 F3 14.5* 82g Stiff UST Proforce V2
Hybrid- 585-H 19* 85g Stiff Flex Adilla Proto
Irons- Z-B Forged 3iron-PW Project X 6.0Gap Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 52|8Sand Wedge- Vokey Spin Milled 56|10Putter- Scotty Cameron...

• 2 weeks later...

I play Top Flite D2 Feel balls and they already have an alignment mark on them. I don't use it, but it's there if I wanted to.

What's in my bag (most of the time)

Exotics 12°, Aldila VS Proto 65S
Exotics CB1 4W, 16.5°, Fujikura Stiff
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23°, 26º Hybrids, Proforce V2 Stiff Acer XP905 Pro 6-PW, Dynalite Gold S300Inazone CNC Spin Satin GW 50°/8°, SW 54°/14°, LW 58°/4°Boccieri...

I used to do it.
I would line it up then go to address it and realise it wasnt pointing where i wanted it, this happened so often i just gave up on it.

In the Wilson Stand Bag

Driver:........Ping........G5 Reg shaft
3 Wood:......Mitsushiba.........M575-15°

Irons:.........Taylormade RocketBallz......3 Hybrid - PW..Stiff Shafts

Wedges:....Cleveland CG16 56 & 60

I used to do it.

I think this is more because your eyes are not perfectly over the ball when you take your stance. For what it is worth, you may want to try to place a ball on a mirror and check whether your eyes are directly behind the ball. I am an advocate for trusting the line

In the bag:
905R 9.5* Fujikura Speeder S
X 15* Fujikura R
X 19* Fujikura S
4-P MP-14 TT DGS300 53* 588 Gunmetal MP series 56-14 TT wedge MP-R 60-09 Rifle SpinnerDFX Two ball Pro V1

Every time I use a line on the ball to line up a shot, it looks very right of the intended line once I get over the ball.

I'm talking "way right", and have to go back and re-look at the putt.
It is very hard, but I go back and putt on the line I chose originally (without thinking of what it looks like), my putt is very close to where it should be. Speed will kill a putt more often than "line" if the break is not excessive.
I have learned to trust the line I chose from behind the ball (read with ball mark line) and make more putts than ever.
It is very tough to putt when you think you are not on line. Just learn to believe in the mark you (or the ball manufacturer) gave you.
Putting is a very mental thing. Hit the darn ball on the line you see from behind it!!

INTHE BAG(today)
Driver: Speedline 10 10.5deg
Fairway woods: speedline 3w
Putter:Master grig

Irons: A2 OS

SandWedge 1200GE

Balls: Soft Feel

Bag: Great Divider

Lots of Hope!

• 4 weeks later...
I draw a line all around the ball on the seam. How many of you use a line on the seam to align putts?.

I don't draw lines on the seams, and I don't line up the ball. That doesn't help me one bit (I've tried it numerous times.) I'm better off using the line on my putter to get the line right - I take one look at the hole and go. I don't waste time on the putting green. (And if possible, slowing me down makes me worse.)

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
I believe everyone should see this video...

Pfffft. Buy good balls.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

This is just my opinion, but I wish the USGA would outlaw this and the range finders!

Wow....since when have players NOT marked their balls and made lines to help aim? And how much of a hipocritt is one if they say they want the game to be played more traditionally, yet play a titanium driver with a graphite shaft, and moveable head weights?

In My Bag:
905T 9.5* w/Graffalloy Blue - D8
Maltby Trouble Out 13* 3+-Wood w/ Aldila NV - D4
HALO 1 Hybrid w/S400 Steel - D4
Maltby M-05 Forged 3-PW w/ Rifle 6.5 - D4 Vokey Oil Can 52* 56* 588 RTG DSG Bioniks Rl 209 Putter (400 grams) E5+

I tried it for a while also but when addressing the ball it never seemed lined up where it should. I still use the writing on the ball, but usually find I need more break when addressing the ball.

I line up all my putts over 1 ft with a line on the ball. I practice making sure my eyes are over the ball by setting up, and dropping a ball from my eyeballz. Wherever the ball lands is the spot your eye is directly over.

I read somewhere if you tee it up with a seam in a certain direction it'll make it go further, but I rarely care to kill it so the extra 1 yrd doesn't make a difference for me. I just tee it up in any random position.

Note: This thread is 4964 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!